Talk

Advanced search

Home hair dye disaster - please help!

(14 Posts)
SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 01-Aug-11 10:36:52

I have naturally dark brown hair with a slight red hint to it, which you can only really see when the sun is on it. In the past I've put semi permanents on my hair but not done this for a while. The last time it was coloured was at the salon about 2 months ago where I had a semi put on, but the greys were showing through so yesterday I put a Nice & Easy permanent colour on my hair, shade Natural Light Golden Brown. It's gone very dark on the lengths but the virgin hair at the roots (approx. 1.5") is lighter and quite red/gingery. Not an ideal look.

It looks stupid and I can't believe I put a permanent on, rather than a semi which would wash out in a few weeks angry. Will a permanent fade at all or am I stuck with it until it grows out? Do I need to go to a salon to fix it? Not sure I want to put another colour on at home in case the lengths go any darker, as they are very dark at the mo. I go on holiday in just over 2 weeks so would like to sort it out by then. <desperate emoticon>

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 01-Aug-11 12:08:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTdibbler Mon 01-Aug-11 12:12:35

Go out and buy some ColourB4 extra strength from Boots. It smells terrible, but if you follow the instructions carefully it really works to take a permanent colour off.

Moodykat Mon 01-Aug-11 12:19:24

When my hair went bright purple instead of brown I washed it over and over again with head and shoulders. It did quite a good job of fading it before my hair dresser re-highlighted it!

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 01-Aug-11 12:45:35

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 01-Aug-11 13:19:08

Will the ColourB4 stuff strip my hair and ruin it? It's quite dry anyway so I'm wary of using loads of chemicals, plus I'm very wary of doing something that will make it look even worse.

I knew I should have had it done professionally, but the tightwad money-saver in me went for the home colour.

CMOTdibbler Mon 01-Aug-11 13:22:48

No, it won't ruin it. It doesn't affect your natural colour either.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 01-Aug-11 13:47:50

Thanks, I might give that a try in the first instance then. I'll get some this week and use it when I don't have work the next day, just in case. And next time I need to cover the greys, I think I'll go professional!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 01-Aug-11 14:23:54

Hmmm, just read loads of reviews on the Boots site and not so sure now. Many said it came out gingery, they had to re-dye it and that came out dark so they were back to square one!

Oh god, think I'm going to have to fork out to get it done at the hair dressers. I only had it cut 2 weeks ago and could have got a colour then, but I thought I'd try to save some money. What a mistake!!

OldBagWantsNewBag Mon 01-Aug-11 14:59:54

levantine Mon 01-Aug-11 17:29:19

Colourb4 made my hair look like the hair from a see you jimmy hat

I would seriously not recommend it

sprinkles77 Mon 01-Aug-11 21:17:24

colour B4 takes away the colour. however permenant colour has some peroxide in it which lightens your natural colour. So after colour B4 one does tend to be left a bit lighter / more ginger. But this is much worse if you have dyed your hair many many times. If you have only done it once it shouldn't be that bad. its made by Scott Cornwall. If you join his facebook page he will answer your questions personally. Google his website for lots of pictures and FAQs.

sprinkles77 Mon 01-Aug-11 21:19:40

ps, i used it to remove many years of black hair dye. Like 10 years of repeated dyeing. My hair was a bit ginger, but was in pretty good condition considering. Scott will give good advice as to how to get the colour you want. As will tattydevine of course!

AandK Mon 01-Aug-11 21:31:38

colour b4 does work and some cheaper stores like savers do a cheaper version for half the price that works just as well.

a friend of mine also used fairy liquid to fade the colour on her hair and it took it from black to a chestnut brown.

I'd try the fairy liquid first (a cheap alternative) if it works use a semi permanent to balance the colour out.

at home dyes are good I use them all the time and I'm always going from my natural blonde to red then to dark brown.

Just make sure you get an intensive conditioner like aussie 3 minute miracle to help keep your hair in good condition

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now