Talk

Advanced search

Personal Shopper

(11 Posts)
okiecokie Mon 01-Aug-11 09:48:47

After having two children and slimming down 3 stone (from a size 14/16 to a size 10) I am going to treat myself to a bit of a wardrobe overhaul. My clothes are shocking and nothing really fits and what I wore pre children are not really suitable for post children. However, where should I go? I need a range of outfits for being a Mum, going out in the evening (just a few bits as we don't go out much anymore) and I plan to go back to work in in a couple of months. I don't need a lot of formal work wear as we have a very casual policy but would need a few smart things for meetings etc..

Any suggestions? I know Next and Top Shop offer Personal Shopping as do John Lewis. I am 36 so not sure if I fit into the Top Shop demographic anymore. What do you lot think?

Fuzzled Mon 01-Aug-11 11:16:31

I use Debenhams personal shoppers if I need stuff.

Fuzzled Mon 01-Aug-11 11:17:04

Oooh and forgot to say a big Well Done! grin

worldgonecrazy Mon 01-Aug-11 11:30:56

We used to have a fab personal shopper at our local Debenhams but she moved on and the latest one was a bit meh. I don't think that it matters what 'demographic' you belong to. There will be clothing in John Lewis, Top Shop, Debenhams, Next, etc. that suits you, and there will be clothing that doesn't. It depends on who you are and what your personality is. Some 50 year olds look fabulous in very on-trend clothing and some don't, same as some 20 year olds. Age is just a number.

Don't forget to book yourself in for a make over at one of the cosmetic counters too - just to make yourself feel really fabulous.

and well done on the weight loss.

Howmanytimes Mon 01-Aug-11 12:49:35

I paid to use a personal shopper. She came to my house, had a quick look at the clothes I already had and asked me to find pictures of the sort of thing I liked. On the day of shopping we met at a shopping centre where she had picked out clothes in three different shops already.

To be honest we spent most of our time in John Lewis. I also visited Wallis and didn't make it as far as Monsoon. I was so pleased with the service I would use a personal shopper again without a doubt. Next time I would use an in-store one though because it was expensive to hire one and then you've got the cost of clothes on top.

I found that she picked things I wouldn't have looked twice at on the hanger and were great on. She also knew which brands would suit my body shape. I'm tall and long waisted and she pointed me in the direction of labels that would work better on me. She also picked out useful basics that I have worn and worn and have been so versatile. I'm always drawn to sparkly useless stuff when I'm on my own.

Go to a large department store because you'l have lots of different brands to choose from.

gregssausageroll Mon 01-Aug-11 13:38:17

I use John Lewis. Free service and they don't bully you into buying what you don't want/need. They should give you tips on what suits you too so you can go to other stores for clothing.

Highly recommend them. I am going back for Autumn stuff soon.

Dogsby Mon 01-Aug-11 14:15:26

john lewis was a bit meh here

mckenzie Mon 01-Aug-11 16:31:43

Well done on your weight loss okiecokie and i second John Lewis. There was no pressure to buy but they really knew the ranges well. Apart from anything else, it was a pleasant way to spend a few hours away from DH and the DCs. The fact that i got some great clothes and also some great tips about what clothes suit me was an added bonus.

umiaisha Mon 01-Aug-11 16:37:04

I have used the personal shopping/style advisor service at Topshop for the past 3 years and would highly recommend it. I am 31 and they never have any problems finding things that I don't think make me look like mutton!!

okiecokie Mon 01-Aug-11 20:15:56

Thanks for all the tips! I think I may do both Top Shop and John Lewis.

mckenzie Mon 01-Aug-11 20:33:43

why not? If you have the time I think those two will be a good mix. And both have decent returns policies so if you find you've doubled up or have similar items after both shops, you can return anything unwanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now