Talk

Advanced search

Waxing... Warm vs Hot. What's the difference and which is better?!

(19 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 01-Aug-11 08:41:26

Obviously apart from the fact that one is warm and one is hot! Oh and the price which is about a fiver more.

I decided I would go somewhere new because my old place has had a change in staffing and they are all so Bloomin Grumpy. The possible new place does both types. Are they different?

I know different people like different things, but I'd be grateful for some advice!

bamboobutton Mon 01-Aug-11 08:47:08

warm wax is quicker, hot wax is good for tough rooted hair hair, like pubes.

warm wax is spread on thinly and ripped off with fabric strips

hot wax is spread thickly, in small patches, left to set a bit and then the edge is flicked up and ripped off, no fabric strip involved

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 01-Aug-11 09:01:49

I've only had the warm one. Is the hot one less painful? It sounds like it would be much the same. I am a weed at these things blush

bamboobutton Mon 01-Aug-11 09:12:58

i'd say hot is more painful as the wax really is quite hot.

what are you having waxed?

if it's legs i would go for warm as doing a hot wax will take forever. i had a brazilian once with hot wax and that took about 45 mins to do!

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 01-Aug-11 09:22:26

Really big ow then on the hot Brazilian!
That didn't sound quite right <arf> grin

Basic bikini for me, legs probably just the bottom half and underarms.
45 mins tho shock is that because they just do small sections? I would probably have been trying to run away! I'll have to be on the gin as it is grin

bamboobutton Mon 01-Aug-11 09:45:25

i'd go for hot wax for the bikini and underarm as it will grip the hair better and is more likely to pull the roots out, rather than snapping off, and warm wax for the legs as it is quicker.

wish i had the time to go to salonsenvy

kdss4f Mon 01-Aug-11 09:50:10

hot wax is less painful then cold.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 01-Aug-11 11:06:12

I think I will go for that option then. I think the joy of warm waxing has to be the speed. I think the anticipation of the hot wax must be a bit cor blimey. But then I'm a feeble. Now I have to cultivate some underarm growth for the hot wax to cling to. Don't like that bit either!

VitaEstBonus Mon 01-Aug-11 11:08:44

I have hot on my bikini area. It really is er, hot! It makes me smart a bit on the real inny bits blush

RatherBeParcelPiste Mon 01-Aug-11 16:17:57

Please excuse the name change.

<wince> on the inny bits...
Is it like when you get candlewax on you? Obviously I don't mean on your inny bits but in general!!

That has marginally put me off...

MooMinCow Mon 01-Aug-11 16:54:10

hot wax always for sensitive areas! the wax shrink wraps and sticks only to the hair as it cools (as opposed to warm wax that sticks to the skin and hair). so when the hot wax is pulled off it doesn't take the top layer off and irritate the skin as much. honestly, it is less painful and gives a smoother longer lasting finish.

if you do decide to go for it, it would be best to trim hair to no shorter than 1cm as if hair is too long it hurts more (but a good salon should trim for you)

hth

RatherBeParcelPiste Mon 01-Aug-11 17:37:35

I'm going to go for it - then I will have gin first I reckon though...
You've all been very helpful, thank you!

RatherBeParcelPiste Tue 02-Aug-11 13:28:55

DH reminded me of this which has cheered me up!

I have been brave and booked for all three with hot wax as there was a package deal thing. I shall soon know if I ever want to do hot wax again confused

thehairybabysmum Tue 02-Aug-11 13:38:09

i found i had less trouble with ingrown hairs on re-growth with hot wax.

thehairybabysmum Tue 02-Aug-11 13:38:40

Have 2 paracetomol 1/2 an hour before y ou go, takes the edge off it!

RatherBeParcelPiste Tue 02-Aug-11 13:41:23

Bless you, thank you... I feel like I'm about to do something very Brave grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 06-Aug-11 11:06:46

Sorry. Last question I hope. With hot wax do the hairs have to be similar sort of length to normal waxing?

FreeButtonBee Sat 06-Aug-11 11:25:41

Yes hot wax is much better for the delicate bits. A bit ouch-y on the inny bits as said, but i get much much less ingrowing hairs and no bruises! I walways bruise with strip wax.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 09-Aug-11 10:43:06

<Gulp>
Going on Friday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now