Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for sisters 30th birthday present? £150 budget.

(19 Posts)
ManiPedi Sun 31-Jul-11 13:32:54

Hi - would like to get my sister something nice for her 30th.

Ideally I'd like to get her one item of approximately the above cost - I don't want to spend less than £100, as that's what she spent on mine, but can't really afford over £150 either.

Had been thinking along the lines of Links bracelet or a nice leather bag?

TIA

Olivetti Sun 31-Jul-11 14:00:38

I got a Links sweetie bracelet as a special present, and although it's not very original, it's an absolute classic and I love it.

ManiPedi Sun 31-Jul-11 14:11:43

Hmm, I think she has the sweetie bracelet.

Thank you though, I might get her the friendship style one?

Granny23 Sun 31-Jul-11 14:12:02

Depends on so many things. I was soooo disappointed at big birthdays if someone got me an expensive luxury item such as a bracelet or a bag. Being permanently poor, I had no occasion to wear or use such things. OTOH if sister is quite comfortably off she will appreciate something special that she would not buy for herself.

Olivetti Sun 31-Jul-11 14:19:29

I take the point about luxury items being a pain if you are poor. However, if she isn't, I think it's lovely to get something you could never justify buying for yourself, for your birthday. Just thinking about things I would like if I were ever going to see 30 again:

- expensive lingerie/silk nightwear (although this won't be something she'll keep for ever)
- beauty treatments (as above!)
- A purse by Liberty (should be within your budget)
- posh personalised stationery (you can get some really lush stuff)

CornishKK Sun 31-Jul-11 14:21:02

I've used Scarlett Jewellery a few times for special presents, I like their mojo bangles & necklaces.

www.scarlettjewellery.com/

ManiPedi Sun 31-Jul-11 14:24:50

Granny23 - the Links bracelets are an everyday item of jewellery, so she wouldn't need an occasion to wear them to, thank you for your advice though smile.

Thanks for the other ideas - I'll have a look at them all now!

LisMcA Sun 31-Jul-11 14:30:10

<secretly hopes OP is my sister, I'm 30 in 2 weeks grin, I doubt it though, my sis is permanently skint>

This website has some lovely, but different things, all made from reclaimed materials.

I have this and this on order. But I also really like some of the things made from old coins. And it's saving the planet!!!

ManiPedi Sun 31-Jul-11 14:36:29

My sister's is the 15th....

But just had a look at your profile and you're not my sister grin!

Thanks all - some really good ideas.

So do we think jewellery is the way to go?

It doesn't have to be - she bought me GHD hair straighteners for mine!

Olivetti Sun 31-Jul-11 14:42:46

Well, it's not as glam, but my most recent purchase is a parlux compact hairdryer in silver, and I can tell you it has changed my life! I need to wash my hair every morning, and have always hated drying it more than any other task.
Anyway, forked out £60 for this hairdryer, and t is beyond amazing. I can dry my shoulder length hair and style it nicely in 4 minutes flat - before it was taking 10-15 mins, and looked/felt nowhere near as good. Added to this, it's really small and light! If someone had bought me that as a present, I would have loved them for ever!

LisMcA Sun 31-Jul-11 14:43:35

Ok, for a non jewelllery gift, does she cook?? Kitchen gadget? I have a secret hankering for a pasta maker thingy, but can guarantee it will sit in my cool kitchen gadget cupboard and never be used!!

ManiPedi Sun 31-Jul-11 15:01:00

I've got a Parlux hairdryer too - they are fab aren't they! Think my sister has one too unfortunately!!!!

She does cook, but she's no Nigella grin. I bought her and her DH a Magimix food processor as a wedding present, but not sure if it's been used and that was about 5 years ago!

Some great ideas here though. I think I'm going to mull them over smile. Thank you.

Geordieminx Sun 31-Jul-11 15:20:00

Fossil have some lovely leather bags as do oushka.

dinkydoos Sun 31-Jul-11 22:06:28

how about a nespresso machine? fab coffee if that is her thing?

or really good make up brushes - always think this would be great to have but v espensive for the best ones...

Olivetti Sun 31-Jul-11 22:10:01

Yes, I second expensive make-up brushes

madammecholet Mon 01-Aug-11 08:07:34

I have a peony and Moore bag, http:/www.peonyandmoore.com/, the lucia but it's £199, maybe some discount codes knocking about... Nice ones in sale too.. Also try red direct and tabitha bags..

P&m ones come beautifully wrapped in dust nags which is lovely if it's a present IMO..,

ifancyashandy Mon 01-Aug-11 08:34:08

Mulberry or Mui Mui purse?
Second the expensive make up brushes - I'd go to either Shu Umera or Laura Mercier.
I was bought a Laura Mercier make up set recently - I was delighted with it!

Look on theoutlet.com or the sale section of it's sister site - netaporter.com. There's often amazing jewellry and bags.

TracyK Mon 01-Aug-11 08:48:45

Does she drink tea - I've a couple of these for friends and they are lovely. I got the lip tease cups - but for £150 you could get a couple and a teapot.

www.reikokaneko.co.uk/retail

sweetheart Mon 01-Aug-11 16:03:32

I had some lovely presents for my 30th that would be within your budget:-
a beautiful pair of pearl earings, I felt it was time for me to becomme a bit more sophisticated and I love them and wear them most days.
a 1981 bottle of wine from here
a driving day experience
a cookery class at a local farmers market
beauty vouchers

my sisters didn't buy me a gift - instead they took me to London for a day of sisterly fun and paid for meal, show, everything. It's not something to keep as such but the memories of that day will last forever.

Another firend of mine was given a beautiful silk scalf which i thought was a really nice gift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now