Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about designer sunglasses

(6 Posts)
Udderly Sun 31-Jul-11 12:40:15

I'm off to NY on a much deserved holiday after 9 months of nappies. I fancy a really nice pair of sunglasses, tell me what's nice!!

Olivetti Sun 31-Jul-11 14:13:22

Chanel ones are nice. HOWEVER, I would say buy them only if you can afford to lose them - ime shades are the sorts of things that get lost or broken. Or maybe I'm just bitter, having lost a Chanel pair and an Oakley pair.

Tbh, I don't think you can really tell the difference between designer sunglasses and high street ones, unless you like ostentatious logos. I'd go mid-market - I've got some lovely ones from Ted Baker now (About £50).

alarkaspree Sun 31-Jul-11 14:25:13

I'd suggest doing some research on prices before you go. It's not necessarily the case that things are cheaper in NY than in the UK, although there are a lot more discount stores. But places like Century 21 don't have really great sunglasses.

Remember that you will need to add 8.25% NY sales tax to the list price of anything you buy there.

I also agree with Olivetti that designer sunglasses aren't the best use of your money, they don't really last well - too easily lost, bent or scratched.

Banana Republic sunglasses are nice quality and often discounted in store.

CoteDAzur Sun 31-Jul-11 16:47:48

For the last couple of years, there has only been one brand of sunglasses, and that is Tom Ford.

RichTeaAreCrap Sun 31-Jul-11 17:35:44

I love designer sunglasses and am a bit addicted to them. I can always tell the difference between designer and high street and not because of any logos, infact I dont like the ones with very obvious logos on them, but as a migraine sufferer I find that the decent ones really do block the sun from my eyes and look nice at the same time.

Chanel are the nicest ones in my opinion, but it all depends on what suits you. I have some Chanel ones that are brown framed with a lighter brown/beige around the top of the frame, they are gorgeous. They are expensive though compared to most designers.

Another make I have been impressed with are DKNY for sunglasses. They have been good quality and last well.

I don't like Tom Ford too much. Also find that Armarni and Deisel are not as flattering and the quality is a bit crap. That's only my opinion though and they may suit you.

Try lots on - go to Sunglasses Hut and try them all on to see which look best.

ChiddelyPie Sun 31-Jul-11 20:07:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now