Talk

Advanced search

Hair S.O.S.

(8 Posts)
Loonytoonie Sun 31-Jul-11 11:22:41

My hair was chemically straightened in January this year. The initial 10 days or so were awful - it was flattened to my head to almost comic proportions and no amount of conditioning would get the 'lift' back. I had it done at a reputable salon in the nearby city but when I returned to a local and Aveda-trained stylist, he said that all they'd done was to put in a perm solution and comb my hair through.

He cut my hair to a chin length bob (about 4" off), gave me a thick fringe, and I really liked it. Initially, it was sleek, glossy and manageable. I didn't really have a curl to my hair before straightening, but more of a z shaped kink which seemed to worsen after having my children. It was a real pain blow drying it straight, then straightening it, just to get it looking half decent - hence the decision to have it straightened. So, for the first couple of months, it was a success.

6 months later, with regular cuts, it's STILL at chin length if not a bit shorter (we estimated that it's grown about 1cm in that time), the fringe is frayed and hairs are breaking off. The z shaped kink is making a comeback so I'm blow drying and straightening with irons again. My hair is a mess. Terrible condition, dull, lifeless, and awful. It's stopped growing too so my shortened hair, coupled with my (literally) NO growth means that my hair is getting shorter and shorter. I now have a very short bob which is now about an inch at my neck and even that looks sgraggy and untidy sad. I don't know what to do.

Loonytoonie Sun 31-Jul-11 11:24:44

Meant to add, that I've posted this last week but under a different title (asking about a product). I thought I'd try again with a different (and more relevant) title.

kyacat Sun 31-Jul-11 12:11:53

first thing I'd do is try and ditch the heat styling. It's bad for your hair at the best of times and your hair's been through a lot!

You need to grow out the damaged hair so up your protein intake and maybe try a silica supplement, or a skin, hair and nails one. Omega oil supplements are good for growth and condition too. Can you manage an updo that looks OK and would allow you to rest your hair a bit?

In the meantime products containing silicones will help the appearance of your hair. I swear by VO5 hot oil treatment, the moisturising one. I also use coconut oil as an over-night treatment. Pick the gentlest shampoo you can find - or even try washing your hair with only conditioner, it can be done.

I joined this community forums.longhaircommunity.com last year to help me get my hair back into good condition, I'd recommend checking it out.

Good luck smile there's nothing more frustrating than trying to get your hair to grow, I know.

Loonytoonie Sun 31-Jul-11 12:50:38

Thanks Kyacat - I appreciated your help. I'm going to get myself a multi vitamin so will get one which helps skin, hair and nails too and also Omega oil. I'll have a look for coconut oil too - where do you get yours?

I'd love to be able to pull it back into a clip so it looks half decent, but that's impossible now since it's such a short bob. Giving up on the heat styling means that I look incredibly untidy all the time sad but I try and avoid the styling unless it's absolutely essential (even my fringe sticks out like a limp slope if I don't style it).

I'm confused about the shampoo issue - it makes sense to me what you say i.e. to get a really gentle one, but others have said a treatment shampoo? I'm not sure what to do about shampoo really [sigh].

I will admit to having bought SULU (Shapleys MTG) hair growth oil. I can't even remember how I found the info about it to be honest. I only used it a few times though because I found the smell unbearable and I'm certain it's made the condition of my hair worse.

chipstick10 Sun 31-Jul-11 17:14:15

Have you considered investing in a hair steamer? i am looking into it presently but dont know where to begin if im honest. You can also get it done at salons. It is amazing for the hair and scalp. And brilliant for dry damaged hair.

Loonytoonie Sun 31-Jul-11 19:05:44

Chipstick - I've never heard of it! I'll look into this tonight. Many thanks for the help smile

kyacat Sun 31-Jul-11 21:25:20

Ooh chipstick what's hair steaming all about?

I know what you mean loony, I try not to straighten my hair but my fringe won't ever behave without it! Once you get a bit of growth it will be easier, hope it doesn't take you too long.

I buy pure coconut oil from Fushi cosmetics on Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/Coconut-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Pressed/dp/B003HEKXAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312143866&sr=8-2

chipstick10 Sun 31-Jul-11 21:43:12

Its literally steaming the hair. A scalp treatment is put on lightly dampened hair (i dont think all treatments are the same it depends on your problem)then you sit under a hood (like the old fashioned ones when your nan used to have a shampoo and set)and the steam penetrates the scalp cleaning it, opening the follicles. Its great for dandruff, hairloss, dry brittle hair, etc. Your hair is shiny and full of volume when complete, its fabulosa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now