Talk

Advanced search

dr martens 1460 boots

(10 Posts)
sockpoppet Sun 31-Jul-11 10:04:18

I used to have a pair of these as a teenager. Would they look alright as a 34 year old or would they shout mid like crisis?
I fancy getting a cherry pair to wear this winter with skirts, dresses, and jeans in a casual way.

What do you think?

I didn't stop wearing them and I'm now 40 smile Can't promise that I don't look like I'm having a mid life crisis though.

I have to say I only wear mine with jeans - I've put on too much weight since I was a teen to feel comfortable wearing them with skirts and dresses sadly.

belgo Sun 31-Jul-11 10:16:09

I've recently bought a very nice pair of DocMartin boots, and I'm 34! They are great, very lightweight and comfortable. I still have a pair of purple DMs, nearly 20 years old, bought with my first saturday job money, and still uncomfortable but I love them.

belgo Sun 31-Jul-11 10:17:51

these are the ones I have, they are great. Look stupid with the ribbons though.

Cattleprod Sun 31-Jul-11 10:24:58

I think DMs will be fine, I still have a pair of steel toecap 10-holers and some knee high boots which are a pita to get on and off. And I'm marginally older than you.

However, I'd avoid cherry colour - they have a certain 1990s-ness to them so seem dated, particularly if you remember them the first time round. To me, cherry DMs shout indie/crusty, Levellers, tie-dye maxi skirt, frayed jumper, patchouli oil, Charlatans, needledread hair iyswim.

DMs do some lovely other colours if black is too boring - they used to do a gorgeous dark green and a really vivid ultramarine blue.

sockpoppet Sun 31-Jul-11 10:47:56

See I never managed to get a pair of cherry dms when I was a teenager, that's why I want some now. My mum wouldn't buy me the cherry ones, only the black ones.

I'd want to get the standard 8 hole ones

BulletWithAName Sun 31-Jul-11 10:49:30

I want the bright pink patent ones!I only have the boring old black sad

sockpoppet Sun 31-Jul-11 10:50:05

I'm worried if I didn't get the cherry ones i'd regret it.

Can't believe some posters found them uncomfortable. I'm sure the reason my feet are in such good nick now is that I wore dms all the time when they were growing.

Get the Cherry ones if you want them. I've coveted a pair of metallic purple ones for years, but the girl boots are just too small (I'm a size 9) or the ones with roses painted up the back <sighs>

WoTmania Sun 31-Jul-11 11:14:58

I bought my latest pair of cherry red, 8 holes last year. For some reason when I'm prpegnant DMs don't fit me so as sson as i was a year beyond pregnancy I got them.
I'm 30 now, don't think the look 'midlife-crisis-'esque. If they suit you as a person they will look good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now