Talk

Advanced search

I need a cheap, functional and fairly boring bag

(17 Posts)
GreenTeapot Sat 30-Jul-11 21:17:53

That's it really. I currently have a black sort of woven leather shoulder bag which is handbag/change bag/holdall at the moment. I wouldn't spend more than around £30 (and I have Debenhams and Tesco vouchers grin). What's stylish? (but not too stylish, I'm not a stylish person!) smile

nevergoogle Sat 30-Jul-11 21:24:48

is it for everyday use?
what colour do you have in mind?
real leather?
how big does it need to be?

GreenTeapot Sat 30-Jul-11 21:32:35

Yes, everyday, must be very functional! Colour probably black or brown, maybe grey - but then I wouldn't rule out a nice bag on colour grounds, I don't do coordination grin. Real leather not vital - current one only real due to being an eBay bargain. And size ... well, I usually carry nappies and baby wipes, an umbrella, purse, keys, phone, two glasses cases, a couple of notebooks, some toys, paperwork, junk models ... you get the gist! Current one fits an A4 notepad just and no more.

enprovence Sat 30-Jul-11 21:36:36

I was in WHITE STUFF the other day and they have a gorgeous canvas tote bag in khaki, navy and one other colour I can't remember (maybe sand) with real leather handles, long enough to wear over shoulder. Costs £35. Really stylish and roomy. Nearly bought it on the spot but had lots of bills etc coming out so will get it ASAP.

lawnimp Sat 30-Jul-11 21:39:10

this is nice peacocks have some cheap bags which look really good

lawnimp Sat 30-Jul-11 21:40:44

this is nice

nevergoogle Sat 30-Jul-11 21:42:24

debenhams? two different colours.

GreenTeapot Sat 30-Jul-11 22:27:51

Thanks for suggestions. Can't look now due to mobile MNing (teething baby) but will check them out tomorrow smile

GreenTeapot Sun 31-Jul-11 08:21:36

Thanks again for these ideas. Having looked, I've a better idea of what I want I think. The satchel or messenger thing isn't so handy - I like that I don't have to zip up my current bag if it's too full, and I can rummage in it without taking it off my shoulder, so something with a top opening would be best. Sorry, I just hadn't thought about that til now.

I had a look in New Look and Internacionale last week and everything looks very patenty and cheap. That may well be my budget and choice of shop, of course, but it seems to be the trend just now. Like the sound of the white stuff one, will try and seek that out.

nevergoogle Sun 31-Jul-11 10:14:56

monsoon?

nevergoogle Sun 31-Jul-11 10:19:49

or this?

GreenTeapot Sun 31-Jul-11 21:52:16

this awful?

GreenTeapot Sun 31-Jul-11 21:52:48

FGS! Sorry blush

IS THIS awful?

GreenTeapot Sun 31-Jul-11 21:56:53

I'm not so sure about the fabric ones nevergoogle. I have dogs and everything in my life has to be assessed for dog-hair-attraction-factor sad

I'm being a fussy cow though, i know!

Gillybobs Mon 01-Aug-11 11:07:42

That Asda one is grotesque. Sorry.

Hw about this?

GreenTeapot Mon 01-Aug-11 13:47:11

Is it? Oops. Hoped it was quite inoffensive blush. This is why I need help to even buy a basic bag blush

I quite like that one but to me brown and black look a bit odd together (but I do know absolutely nothing about such things!), but having said that it does look very practical, so I might order it up and see.

This?

or this?

They keep emailing me to tell me about their sale!

nevergoogle Mon 01-Aug-11 17:43:42

i like the 2nd one you linked to, the nica one.
I have a couple of nica bags and they are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now