Talk

Advanced search

Dying my hair - what colour? Pics on profile.

(38 Posts)
LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 21:17:26

Hi all,

I've just had my hair lopped off from below shoulder-length to a crop so it feels strange! I've never had it dyed before - I was thinking of a dark red, but not sure what colour exactly. I've put pics on profile - what do you reckon? And what special jargon do I use at the hairdresser's so she knows what I want?

If you can link to pictures with the colour red you think would work that would be great, because she's sent me away to find pictures and I'm coming up with nothing!

FWIW, I really hate the purply colours I've seen on some dark-haired people that get called red - if anyone has advice on how to avoid that I would love it! It just looks very unnatural to me.

Casmama Sat 30-Jul-11 21:28:56

Can't see your profile.

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 21:39:02

Oh, crap, I'm sorry casmama. Should be ok now, I hope.

Casmama Sat 30-Jul-11 21:40:16

Nope fraid not.

nickschick Sat 30-Jul-11 21:44:11

No advice on hair dye but you are very pretty and friendly looking......blush

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 21:46:22

blush

That is very sweet of you nick - I'm assuming that means you can see the pics?! I wonder why Cas can't - maybe it takes a minute to apply the settings? confused

Casmama Sat 30-Jul-11 21:50:05

Sorry, I can now. I'm a bit confused though can the hairdresser not show you a choice of colours and give you some idea of how they would come out on your hair?

peasandlove Sat 30-Jul-11 21:50:13

why dont you get something like a half head of highlights in red and see how you like it? This will just be the front and top of your head. I found this pic which I like, but it might be a bit too red for what you're thinking of. here

or this is really cute here but she's used several colours (one of the colour experts might be able to tell you which!).

good luck, and I'd suggest start with highlights first rather than dying your whole head a red colour smile

KoolAidKid Sat 30-Jul-11 21:56:23

I think you suit it as it is, your naturally hair colour is lovely. That hair cut really suits you btw.

Love both of Peas' pics and think either would look fab on you. Also love your purple tights!

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 22:00:23

Casmama - yes, she did show me but only about 4 colours, 2 of which were obviously too light for me. She said the best thing was for me to bring in pictures of colours I liked, but I'm a bit of a wuss and don't want to get it wrong, but don't want to waste my money by going too subtle and then thinking it doesn't show at all!

peas - thanks for replying! I did assume highlights would be too subtle, but those are not. I have to say I don't care for the first picture - I was looking for something that would look like a natural dark chestnut red, if I can find hat. I like the second picture more, but too blondey in the stripes I think. In fact I'm not sure if the stripy look will work on me!

Sorry - you can probably tell I am a novice at this and don't know the words to describe the fancy stuff. grin

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 22:02:08

Thanks Kool - I am happy with the cut - I really got fed up with it long! But I've never dyed it and really fancy a change!

remus - purple tights are indeed the business. grin

peasandlove Sat 30-Jul-11 22:05:10

well if you're thinking of going bold, then I guess first step is the colour charts of a few brands of colour to get an idea what you're after here is Nice and Easy.
or load up a pic of yourself onto www.taaz.com and try on a few styles, but I've found the colour does look a bit fake when you change it.

bellavita Sat 30-Jul-11 22:05:13

LRD - any decent hairdresser would say which colour would look best - rather than you taking a pic in. She should have shown you a whole colour board and you could have gone through it together.

And I agree, you are very pretty!

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 22:07:50

Thanks peas, will have a look.

bella - oh dear, that's worried me. She did the cut though, which I like - maybe she only meant the pic as a starting point, she did say we'd discuss it more when I see her next, so maybe that'll be when she gets the colour board out.

Cleverything Sat 30-Jul-11 22:08:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bellavita Sat 30-Jul-11 22:09:37

Hope so LRD.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Sat 30-Jul-11 22:14:33

Just looked at pics & tbh you look stunning just as you are,if anything I would say put a dark brown on there,no highlights or anything,why ruin what's already fantastic grin

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 22:15:00

I look awful in pink, Cleverything - I look good in mossy greens and blue and gray. So I'm not sure really! I'm trying to imagine what colour mahogany is now ... sounds nice.

bella -yeah, me too. To be fair to her, I may have confused her with my total lack of precise understanding. Any other warning signs?

Btw, what do they do when they colour your hair? There are those foil things, right?

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 22:17:35

cricketagain - but it's boring! <stamps foot>

I've never dyed it and just feel like a change. But thanks - I do like the colour most of the time and will probably go back to it after a while.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Sat 30-Jul-11 22:19:56

Lrd - I had highlights put in for years & have stopped

If you colour it with really dark brown then it will be different but still flattering & no its not boring,I love mine now lol

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 30-Jul-11 22:30:25

grin

I wasn't being serious about brown being boring - just trying to do something a bit different. I might go for dark red-brown bits rather than a brighter red.

Still trying to get the taaz site linked to above working for me!

FaffTastic Sat 30-Jul-11 22:52:16

I really think you suit the colour you are and think red might make you look a bit washed out. I think a rich chocolate brown would look nice with a few red lowlights running through.

Cleverything Sun 31-Jul-11 22:27:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChaoticAngelofGryffindor Sun 31-Jul-11 23:42:12

Have you considered going into Boots, or somewhere, and looking at the hair dyes. They might give you some ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now