Talk

Advanced search

Have Had My Hair Cut Short and Dyed Very Red.....Now I Look Old And Worn Out! Help!!!

(58 Posts)
magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 12:49:41

Had my really long boring lank hair cut off, reeeeally short as it nothing one side and just a bit longer the other and dyed very bright red.

I can't carry it off sad

I am really skinny and this new haircut makes me look tired and old sad

I had the re vamp to boost my confidence and it has had the opposite effect.

So how do i look less tired (wrinkled, bags under eyes and pale worn skin)

magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 12:52:31

Without buying lots of new stuff as I am totally broke sad

kando Sat 30-Jul-11 12:58:24

Could you live with it for a week or so then dye it a different colour? Maybe a softer colour might tone it down a bit and make your skin look less pale? If you find out how to look less tired/wrinkled/bags under the eyes, please let me know too ... I'm sure you look fab really, it's just a bit different to what you have been used to smile

magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 13:02:51

I have beed red for years its the mix of very short and then bright.
I could have carried it off in my 20's but was 37 yesterday blush

I really want to keep the colour though.......

Would a face tan help? Ive got the dove summer glow and its fab for the body, could i use it on my face??

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 30-Jul-11 13:03:31

Don't worry, bright red fades very quickly. Just wash it a couple of times and the colour will tone down a lot

RoundOrangeHead Sat 30-Jul-11 13:06:04

we need a pic

you is gorgeous envy

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 30-Jul-11 13:07:32

Sorry, cross posted. The cut sounds really nice. Maybe you just need to get used to the change. I think long lank hair would make you look worse than a funky crop.

What colour was your hair before? Do you use make up, and have you changed that to suit your new colour?

I change my hair colour a lot (I get bored) and the one thing I have to do is remember to adjust my make-up to suit, even though I don't wear a lot.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sat 30-Jul-11 13:40:59

Oh God, I'm thin and have short red dyed hair and am 36. Does that mean I look old and worn-out too?

Sorry, OP, to be self-indulgent!

I agree you should live with it for a bit and get used to it.

magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 19:11:40

Lol no it doesn'y mean you look old too....I do though sad

I don't actually want the red to fade, i just want to look less worn out....
Will post a pic now

magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 19:15:12

Ok have put a picture on now, 2nd one down. Look like crap sad

birdsofshoreandsea Sat 30-Jul-11 19:21:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder Sat 30-Jul-11 19:24:44

I think it may be a bit dark and a more 'golden' colour might be more flattering until it grows back.Which it will! I have cut my longish hair a few times over the years and hated it and now at 45 will never go back! I think if you are a hair person short is very difficult. You have a lovely face though so are lucky you will look ok while it grows By xmas it will be a lot longer. Last time I did that I wore a head band for ages to give the look I had before.

Rubiesandrainbows Sat 30-Jul-11 19:34:37

The red will fade rather quickly so I agree just give it a few washes and a good condition and this should make less red but very shiny hair. Regarding the style, can you try drying the fridge to the side to soften the look? Alternatively, drying it all a bit rough and messy and funky?

You do have a lovely face tho, so I'm sure a few washes will make alot of difference. smile

magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 19:44:48

It looks better funky but i haven't found the right product to keep it that way, wax and gum are great but it goes flat after 10 minutes hmm

I won't move the fringe until i've had botox as have bad frown line i hate and my reason for a fringe in the first place.

I love the red but agree its the block colour so may put in some different colour red fudge colour in streaks??

CandiceMariePratt Sat 30-Jul-11 19:53:06

I think it looks nice, would look even nicer if you were smiling thoughsmile

magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 19:54:41

I never smile in photo's....Hate my big mouth full of teeth blush

CaptainNancy Sat 30-Jul-11 20:01:28

I think it will be fine after a couple of washes!

But look at all those gorgeous children... envy

MrsSeanBean Sat 30-Jul-11 20:05:17

You're gorgeous! As others have said the colour will fade, and the length will grow. In the meantime enjoy - you have the features to carry off a short cut. :-)

SunnilyEnough Sat 30-Jul-11 20:14:37

You're very beautiful and I think you CAN carry off short hair, but it's not a great cut. I agree with Rubies, I think the fringe to the side would be softer. Forget about the frown line! That razored fringey bit covering your forehead looks hard and ageing - and sorry to say it, a bit cheap. Sweep it to the side and make your eye make up a bit softer.

I would let the colour wash out and then go for something more natural (darkish brown/auburn), let the hair grow a bit too and then go to a good salon to have the shape changed. Short hair is such a nuanced thing - it can look gamin and beautiful if it's done right - and like I said, you have the face for it.

Also have a look at some really nice short cuts and maybe take a picture with you the next time - even if you want to grow it out, you can still get it cut better as you do, and you'll feel a million times better.

Here are some great styles:
Michelle Williams, short but sweet and feminine - think this would be a more flattering shape for you

Michelle Williams, longer - good for growing out and a good short cut altogether, very pretty

More Michelle

Funkier

French and gamin

noddyholder Sat 30-Jul-11 20:16:20

I agree with sunnily It is almost not short enough

SunnilyEnough Sat 30-Jul-11 20:22:55

Also ditch the asymmetrical thing. Go simpler.

noddyholder Sat 30-Jul-11 20:26:21

this is pretty

RickGhastley Sat 30-Jul-11 20:27:12

Agree with noddy and sunny that you are gorgeous but it is not a great cut. Looks a bit odd being different lengths on each side.

Suggest you go to another hairdresser and go for a more classic style like the ones sunny linked to.

Are there any make up counters near you where you could go and ask about make up that would suit your new hair colour?

magnolia74 Sat 30-Jul-11 20:46:57

I did think about a shorter pixie type cut like this : www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=kimberly+wyatt&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=601&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=0LYJ3bGNhOftAM:&imgrefurl=http://modavista.blogspot.com/2011/05/todays-makeup-kimberly-wyatts-smokey.html&docid=U9G21iHxGrvfTM&w=562&h=593&ei=UV80Tpu3Moek8QO2ts2gDg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=591&page=9&tbnh=134&tbnw=127&start=221&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:221&tx=73&ty=39
and this: www.stylebistro.com/lookbook/Kimberly+Wyatt/cDbPyOVTXXE/Short+Hairstyles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now