Talk

Advanced search

My hairdresser put a violet toner on my hair. AIBU?

(9 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 29-Jul-11 21:41:20

What's that about then?

She reckoned it would take the yellow out of my hair. hmm

It was vile.

Is this normal?

happy2bhomely Fri 29-Jul-11 21:52:22

I have a silver (violet) toner put on my hair every time I have it highlighted to stop it looking brassy. I'm naturally blonde and have it highlighted to brighten it up a bit. Completely normal if you want to remove yellow tones from your hair! I prefer a softer look. I buy a violet shampoo to use at home to use in between too. It's all to do with the colour wheel!

HTH

KristinaM Fri 29-Jul-11 22:13:51

Yes indeed mary its Normal

Are you new to being a blonde?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 29-Jul-11 22:17:22

No, I've been blonde since I was born.

It's kind of strawberry blonde. I don't colour it.

The hairdresser pointed to her own hair as she was explaining but her blonde was so completely different to mine, her's was more white / platinum / whatever you call it.

I'm glad it's finally gone, made my hair look really dull.

rubyrubyruby Fri 29-Jul-11 22:17:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KristinaM Sat 30-Jul-11 08:26:22

Hmmm, sounds a bit weird to put it on a natural strawberry blonde. I am naturally a tasteful shade of mouse. I sometimes use a violet rinse and shampoo /cond to keep my ash highlights from going brassy. But ive only ever seen it recommended for chemicaly treated hair

envy of natural strawberry blondes

Nagini Sat 30-Jul-11 08:28:45

YANBU the violet toner is to take the gold tones out. Why on earth would you do that to strawberry blonde? I think that would be grounds for me to change hairdresser.

<also envy of natural lovely haircolour>

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 30-Jul-11 11:32:36

Thank you, I was beginning to think I was going mad.

It was the first time this person has cut my hair. I wasn't impressed.

Mousey, that's the word. I confess it is increasingly mousey with age, but I do want to keep what natural highlights I have. The violet just made it mousier.

PHAB Sun 31-Jul-11 10:21:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now