Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

My hairdresser put a violet toner on my hair. AIBU?

(9 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 29-Jul-11 21:41:20

What's that about then?

She reckoned it would take the yellow out of my hair. hmm

It was vile.

Is this normal?

happy2bhomely Fri 29-Jul-11 21:52:22

I have a silver (violet) toner put on my hair every time I have it highlighted to stop it looking brassy. I'm naturally blonde and have it highlighted to brighten it up a bit. Completely normal if you want to remove yellow tones from your hair! I prefer a softer look. I buy a violet shampoo to use at home to use in between too. It's all to do with the colour wheel!

HTH

KristinaM Fri 29-Jul-11 22:13:51

Yes indeed mary its Normal

Are you new to being a blonde?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 29-Jul-11 22:17:22

No, I've been blonde since I was born.

It's kind of strawberry blonde. I don't colour it.

The hairdresser pointed to her own hair as she was explaining but her blonde was so completely different to mine, her's was more white / platinum / whatever you call it.

I'm glad it's finally gone, made my hair look really dull.

rubyrubyruby Fri 29-Jul-11 22:17:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KristinaM Sat 30-Jul-11 08:26:22

Hmmm, sounds a bit weird to put it on a natural strawberry blonde. I am naturally a tasteful shade of mouse. I sometimes use a violet rinse and shampoo /cond to keep my ash highlights from going brassy. But ive only ever seen it recommended for chemicaly treated hair

envy of natural strawberry blondes

Nagini Sat 30-Jul-11 08:28:45

YANBU the violet toner is to take the gold tones out. Why on earth would you do that to strawberry blonde? I think that would be grounds for me to change hairdresser.

<also envy of natural lovely haircolour>

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 30-Jul-11 11:32:36

Thank you, I was beginning to think I was going mad.

It was the first time this person has cut my hair. I wasn't impressed.

Mousey, that's the word. I confess it is increasingly mousey with age, but I do want to keep what natural highlights I have. The violet just made it mousier.

PHAB Sun 31-Jul-11 10:21:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: