Talk

Advanced search

could I get away with these for a wedding?

(20 Posts)
mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 15:25:56

tried on about a million dresses for a wedding I'm going to next week. I look like crap in all of them.

I don't normal go for trousers but i was thinking of wearing these with something like this but in black

trousers are more of a dark gold colour irl.

I'm worried about feeling scruffy.

BunnyLebowski Fri 29-Jul-11 15:35:00

Not keen on the outfit but apart from that it's far too casual for a wedding imo.

Is it the whole day or just the evening do you're going to?

mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 15:39:39

its day and night. Reg office then onto another venue in the evening.

the trousers look very casual on the pic, but I tried them on in the shop today and they are much smarter irl.

I've had enough of trying to find something now. I've just sent 6 dresses back that were no good sad

worldgonecrazy Fri 29-Jul-11 15:58:16

Definitely too casual if you're there for the daytime. You might just (JUST!) get away with it for an evening do with enough jewellery to glitz it up a bit.

mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 16:02:39

any suggestions then?

i'm 5ft6, size 10, biggish boobs. long dark hair. hate my legs.

budget around £50 if poss. can spend more but would rather not <<eyes up fit to burst wardrobe>>

mumto2andnomore Fri 29-Jul-11 16:32:37

I agree that outfit is too casual for a wedding. Have you tried monsoon, lots of dresses in the sale there when I went the other day. I refuse to believe that as a 5 foot 6 size 10 you looked rubbish in all the ones you tried on too is it just that you are not used to dresses ? Have you got a friend you could take shopping with you to help ?

mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 17:00:09

I'm still carrying a bit of excess weight from having dd2 (6months) and it's making me feel so uncomfortable in everything I try on.

I've roped my best friend into a shopping trip on wed. so hopefully she'll help me out.

Gillybobs Fri 29-Jul-11 17:07:49

I'd try a jumpsuit in a dressy fabric, have seen a few at weddings recently and they look amazing and can be quite forgiving on the figure I reckon. SOmething like this?

mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 17:11:57

I actually quite like that gilly definitely worth a try on. not overly keen on the buckle bit but might be ok on.

thanks.

BunnyLebowski Fri 29-Jul-11 17:17:15

That jumpsuit is even worse than your original outfit OP - sorry Gilly. It's very Pan's People and only someone like Yasmin LeBon could pull it off (and even then would look miles better in a dress).

I'll have a look for you. What colours do you look best in/want to avoid?

BunnyLebowski Fri 29-Jul-11 17:40:48

Beautiful colour

Green Grecian

Also in red

Cute structured blue

Simple but pretty - is also available in yellow or blue

Pretty and feminine but the back may present bra issues?

Vibrant print

Mint - would look fab with metallic accessories

Quirky but if it suits your colouring could look great

Cute retro style

Red floral

Simple but pretty and a bargain

Another bargain

Anything there grab ya?

Gillybobs Fri 29-Jul-11 17:56:52

If you like the idea of a jumpsuit have a look on shopstyle.co.uk and put jumpsuit in the searchbar, lots of nice ones. I dont love the Wallis one either , was just to give you an idea. ASos and Oasis have some nice ones around your budget and a bit younger in style.

mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 18:19:24

love the green grecian one. and I have the perfect shoes to go with it.

have ordered the blue oasis one, couldn't leave it there for that much. bit worried about the small size though.

i've just sent back the pink and the mint dotty p dresses. shame because I LOVED them both.

bunny you are a legend. lets just hope they look half decent on.

BunnyLebowski Fri 29-Jul-11 18:27:36

Happy to help grin

Glad it looks like we have similar tastes - the green River Island one is possibly my favourite....you having the perfect shoes is destiny woman!! Go for it!

Report back whatever you decide please smile

BulletWithAName Fri 29-Jul-11 18:59:41

That green grecian one is gorgeous!

mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 19:20:09

ordered the grecian one too. <<hides cc bills>>

my only worry is my legs. i hate them and i'm very prone to bruises. fingers crossed i'll be able to avoid any big ones before friday.

mumatron Mon 01-Aug-11 15:35:40

right, they all came today.

grecian one is lovely but it's just a tiny bit too short and I have too much celulite to get away with it. <<sobs>>

The blue Oasis one is a touch too tight and I think it's going to be a while before I will be slim enough to wear it.

looks like another shopping trip for me sad

SarkySpanner Mon 01-Aug-11 15:39:22

Are you sure the green us too short? Where does it come to? What were you planning to wear on your legs?

SarkySpanner Mon 01-Aug-11 15:41:15

And where is the oasis one tight? Could it be ok with the right underwear to hold things in?

mumatron Mon 01-Aug-11 15:48:10

the green one is a good few inches above my knee, looking again at the measurements it's definitely not 103cm neck to hem.

and even with spanx the blue one just looks too tight. will be keeping this one though. I will lose enough weight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now