Talk

Advanced search

well we've decided on godparents... now what shall we dress 5yo DD in for her baptism - Help!!!

(14 Posts)
MrsShrekTheThird Fri 29-Jul-11 01:50:15

Being me, I only know what I don't want. Which is to have her looking either like a bridesmaid or like she's having a first communion. Aaaaarrrghhh!!

PerryCombover Fri 29-Jul-11 02:02:31

I love this lady's stuff lovely I got some for my little girl and she adored it and now her sister has it..beautifully made and lovely materials

piprabbit Fri 29-Jul-11 02:26:14

There are some lovely party dresses in the sale here.

PirateDinosaur Fri 29-Jul-11 07:19:24

If she's five (unless she's very small for her age) and you dress her in white she will look like she's having a first communion. So I think pps are along the right lines -- something floral/patterned (takes it down a notch in formality from "bridesmaid" and doesn't look like a first communion dress).

TeddyBear55 Fri 29-Jul-11 07:36:15

Depends how strict the church is. When DD and DS were baptised anything less than pure white was a no no, even small blue bows on socks!

Try Sarah-Louise as their dresses are really varied. I was dubious about quality and ordered online but was really pleased when it arrived.

whoneedssleepanyway Fri 29-Jul-11 07:37:45

i wouldn't dress her in white unless you can find a non bridesmaidy white dress. Our DDs were 3.5 and 1 at their christening. DD1 wore v pretty red floral dress and DD2 a pretty white dress from zara

what about something like this

www.johnlewis.com/229453/Product.aspx

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 31-Jul-11 20:16:10

I love the JL one, really nice. will go and check it out in RL smile

BeehiveBaby Sun 31-Jul-11 20:22:33

Is she being baptised Catholic? Confused as to why you don't want white?

SharperSeven Sun 31-Jul-11 20:52:26

Saw a gorgous blue dress smoked in white in JoJo Maman Bebe

SharperSeven Sun 31-Jul-11 20:52:55

SMOCKED fgs...

MrsShrekTheThird Mon 01-Aug-11 00:40:46

it's C of E. Didn't say no to white, but given that she's 5.6 I don't want her looking like first communion... iyswim. I think pastel would probably be better given the particular church and so on smile
Smoked would be nice grin
mebe not

debivamp Mon 01-Aug-11 00:59:23

My DD was 3 months off her 3rd birthday when she was baptised. She wore pure white which had white flowers on it. To be honest she was more impressed with her new white patent ankle strap shoes. The white clothing that she was wrapped in was a lovely hand made cardigan. I do have to point out that this was a RC baptism - so I am not sure on non RC rules.
She would not look like first holy communion as she would not be wearing a veil.
Call me old fashioned but baptism means white - the whole purity idea.

lillybloom Mon 01-Aug-11 09:28:50

RC rules say that something should be white, however, if the child/adult is not wearing white a piece of white cloth can be used at that point of the ceremony. Sorry op I don't know if C of E are the same. I have been to a number of C of E baptisms but they have all been boys. None of them were all in white.

BeehiveBaby Mon 01-Aug-11 16:28:11

Sorry assumed was RC as you mentioned Holy Communion. PP right about veils characterising that. I'd love something in a pastel and ivory wide stripe for the occasion!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now