Talk

Advanced search

Right, if you could only buy 5 items this autumn, what would they be?

(30 Posts)
naturelover Thu 28-Jul-11 21:28:22

In other words, what would be stylish, useful and vaguely fashionable this autumn? I haven't looked at new collections or read any magazines yet.

PS am mid-thirties, SAHM, tall and slim, relatively skint and lacking inspiration

monkeysmama Thu 28-Jul-11 21:47:11

I would start by having a look at some places on line you usually like. ASOS have a good selection of "looks" on normal people and I always like my wardrobe for ideas. Do you follow any fashion blogs?

Leather skinnies (or pleather if not - Topshop did great ones last year & there are good River Island on eBay) would be my number one buy. They are everywhere with chunky jumpers in the fashion press and once you take the leap are so easy to wear. I wore mine last winter to soft play etc instead of leggings but they can also be dressed up for the evening so are a very good investment.

I'd also get some good boots. I am going to wear black Ash ankle boots this winter a bit like these ones. They go with opaques and dresses or skinny jeans.

Have you got a leather jacket? Again they are "everywhere". I've seen some people suggesting TK Maxx as a good place to get one.

My best but last winter was a lovely grey cashmere jumper I wore every other day. Lots of dark green and jewel colours around this year.

Grey leather jacket
Grey or tan wedge-heeled ankle boots
Nude balerina-type skirt
Grey silk blouse
Wolford black tights

No idea if these are stylish or vaguely fashionable but they are what I want!

ballerina

Oh and there is always a place for grey cashmere in Autumn! smile

Gillybobs Thu 28-Jul-11 22:36:37

Have already bought new flat black knee high boots and a black wool boyfriend blazer. Hopefully add a few silk blouses and a nice piece of cashmere knitwear. I love Autumn shopping : )

MarshaBrady Thu 28-Jul-11 22:37:11

Cashmere scarf, big one
Boots, riding type ones
Big plush knit thing instead of a coat
Belt
Cashmere poloneck

Got some Wolfords in a sale.

TanyaBranning Thu 28-Jul-11 22:38:21

Boots - I am going for mid-calf and in either a light-ish brown or grey again this year as I wore both my pairs of boots in this style to death

Coat - I'm not set on a particular style, yet, but it has to be Not Black or I get will feel dowdy and depressed by Christmas grin, and it is going to have to be a quality brand that will feel gorgeous all winter.

Lovely dress in wool or heavy material, in a dark colour.

Good quality tights - I second Wolford

VivaLeBeaver Thu 28-Jul-11 22:38:22

Flat knee/calf length black boots
Mac
Thicker coat.
Tan ankle boots
satchel

naturelover Fri 29-Jul-11 10:16:10

Thanks - I am loving these suggestions.
I definitely need a coat and boots and bag, I know they will be worn every day so will need to find ones I love.
Grey cashmere jumper would be very versatile.
Dress and tights sound fab too, esp as this is first winter in ages that I'm not preg or bf!

That is six items and only two real outfits though. I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe but even so I reckon I'd quickly get bored of the same two outfits.

Just realised I don't have much in the way of winter scarves either.
I tend to find wool scratchy on my neck and acrylic too nasty, what material would be good (and also warm?) Any suggestions for nice places to buy scarves?

Warehouse, TK Maxx or even H&M for nice scarves.

Or I have a couple of silk/wool mix pashminas that are lovely and soft (and warm).

NanAstley Fri 29-Jul-11 11:34:41

I was gifted a cashmere scarf 3 years ago. It is still gorgeous and I wear it pretty much every day in winter. It is definitely worth the money, especially if you consider the price-per-wear value smile

Have a look at mypashmina.co.uk It was mentioned here a while ago, and I really love the site. Haven't ordered from them yet so I can't comment on the service, but it looks promising

Beesok Fri 29-Jul-11 22:00:58

Re "fashionable" as usual there are a couple of trends for A/W - the ones I liked are jewel tones, accents from the "forties" (and I repeat accent ;), cocoon coats (already bought one in July! ;)

invest in a nice cashmere scarf in a neutral colour that goes with most of you winter underwear - in general good cashmere is an (expensive) but good buy - lasts forever and always looks good - just try to find pieces that are more "young" ...also for good value merino/cashmere/silk mixes try Uniqlo - they have a huge selection of, usually on trend, colours in classic shapes

Zara and COS have a few coats lined up which look good for autumn and the Zara plaited shopper is now an online hit and personally the black one is great and at £80 not too bad value smile

COS do nice scarves but not sure if their winter collection is in, I got a fab cashmere scarf from johnstons which was literally lying around on the racks at whistles in selfridges at £50 (original price £250!!!) so worth checking out dep stores for pre-winter bargains smile

Beesok Fri 29-Jul-11 22:01:44

*winter outerwear of course blush I don't see the point of matching scarf to underwear hahahahahaha

brookeslay Sat 30-Jul-11 10:08:58

New J brands .. from lots places
Barbour.. Beadnell or International
Cashmere mix coat all soft and cosy K.Hooker looky likey coat.
Red Scarf..
Gorgeous brown boots. ??
Handbag... sooo many options
Selection tops
Silk Shirt big look with jeans going on (Zara)
Malene Birger white shirt.
Jumpers ( whistles)
Falke tights maybe striggings ( online)
wellies
tweed shorts ( not seen any yet !)
pencil skirts are going to be big liking the tartan anglomania.

I have some nice bits I bought in the brora sale for bargain prices.

brookeslay Sat 30-Jul-11 10:10:54

whoops over 5 sorry ! got carried away

brookeslay Sat 30-Jul-11 10:22:25

Hums spooky music just checked my inbox and what did I find Top Five buys for the new season email.

It Stated

Fine Knit
Mini Bag
Pencil skirt
Stiletto
Silk Blouse

So that will be my new top five.

Tweed shorts - sounds like something that Whistles would do.

I want to extend my list please:

- a blush coloured silk blouse that is sort of fitted and billowy at the same time (I know what I mean in my head but whether or not such a thing will actually exist is a different matter!)
- some charcoal marl tights
- the perfect grey marl t-shirt, with a scoop neck and three quarter sleeves (am hoping that Hobbs or Linea will produce this for me)
- a grey or cream lace top

brookeslay Sat 30-Jul-11 13:49:11

Remus blush

This type of thing I`ll keep my eyes peeled for one more fitted.

Thanks for nod on where to find Tweed Shorts

V pretty but not for me, I'm afraid. Am v small across the back but v norky, so traditional button down blouses and shirts just look hideous on me. I said 'blouse' but actually that was silly of me and I meant 'top' I guess! smile

MrsSeanBean Sat 30-Jul-11 20:52:32

It's high time I got myself one of these

Would also concur with J Brands (skinny twill) and Barbour International polar quilt.

Plus Nude 'Blush' loafers from Russell and Bromley (no link due to crap site).

That's only 4 but I also need some kind of boot, undecided which.

noddyholder Sat 30-Jul-11 21:09:22

Belstaff jacket courtesy of dp
Frye boots black
New black skinnies decent ones
Grey cashmere cardigan slim and long
Short ish leather skirt

noddyholder Sat 30-Jul-11 21:15:52

Am v glad to see the drapey grecian thing is 'over' it was becoming impossible to find anything non drapey and no difference between any of it. Much more tailored and simple which is so flattering

thefirstmrsrochester Sat 30-Jul-11 21:55:10

Flat black over knee boots - Russell and Bromley
Black ostrich feather skirt - Top Shop
Mini Kilt - Ballantyne or Pringle
Chunky knit long Cardigan
Falke tights

And if I am allowed a few extras

Another pair of Russell and Bromley boots and a navy wool coat such as 'the one that got away' in the Jesire sale a couple of seasons ago sad.

rubia Sat 30-Jul-11 22:10:41

Remus, Phase Eight have a big selection of silk tops at the moment, several differentt takes on this type of thing in loads of colours
www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Blouses/Gypsy-Silk-Blouse/500701419

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now