Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a natural facial toner

(20 Posts)
TigerseyeMum Wed 27-Jul-11 22:26:05

As part of my quest to manage my hormonal, spotty, dry, flaky, greasy skin hmm I have started to use some Korres products that I have tried before with some success.

However, I think they leave a slight residue on my skin (not helped by the hard water area I live in).

Any recommendations for a good facial toner that is gentle but effective and not chemically? I used a NYR one in lavender, but it irritated my skin.

Ideas?

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-Jul-11 22:27:29

Cold water.

vogonmothership Wed 27-Jul-11 22:29:29

witch hazel and rose water shaken together, keep in fridge

peggotty Wed 27-Jul-11 22:30:31

Have you thought about trying the oil cleansing method?

Lush Eau Roma is very gentle, I use it to remove their Ultrabland cleanser, it removes it thoroughly but is not at all drying, it is based on rosewater and lavender water with no alcohol. It does have preservative and perfume though, so depends how keen you are to avoid synthetic chemicals.

jumpinghoops Wed 27-Jul-11 22:39:13

The Liz Earle skin tonic here smells amazing (to my nose anyway!) and is the only toner I've ever used that seems to actually make my skin feel cleaner, better and look brighter after I've used it. Alcohol free so won't be drying.

TigerseyeMum Wed 27-Jul-11 22:44:22

Thanks -

would it be equal parts rose water and witch hazel?

the oil cleansing method does not appeal to me, I have tried a similar version a few years ago but didn't get on very well.

will look into the other suggestions, I am also considering going back to NYR White Tea facial spray as last time I used that I had very clear skin (though that was before my hormones went loopy)

cold water can make my skin feel very dry and tight (and wakes me up before bedtime!)

I am also considering the Korres cleanser which gets good reviews.

smile

TanyaBranning Wed 27-Jul-11 22:46:22

The Neals Yard rose one is nice - very gentle and soothing.

EdithWeston Wed 27-Jul-11 22:48:08

I was going to say either witch hazel or rose water too! I've never mixed them, so can't recommend a proportion - just experiment?

You could also try orange blossom water (neroli is said to be good for the skin, but the essential oil is an expensive one).

tulpe Wed 27-Jul-11 22:49:07

why not try rose water? Excellent for combination skin, particularly with a hormonal link.

Alternatively, I would take a look at the Neals Yard Remedies skin care range. Lots of essential oils and no nasties smile

jumpinghoops Wed 27-Jul-11 22:49:18

I am using the rose as the moment but (and I say this as someone who has fairly combo/oily skin) I find it quite drying- only realised after buying it that it has alcohol in it which maybe why. I like the NY rose facial wash though!

TigerseyeMum Wed 27-Jul-11 22:53:19

NYR do an orange blossom onewhich I am looking at, but I was put off by the lavender one being drying, maybe they all have alcohol in them.

tulpe Wed 27-Jul-11 22:54:14

duh! Really should try reading OP more thoroughly hmm I see you are already using NYR skin care without success.

Aromatherapy Associates do beautiful skincare range. I also really love the Mama Mio range. I had awful spotty/dry/oily skin up until I started using their skin care range last October (it didn't launch until March this year but I was lucky enough to be selected as a tester). Since using their Clean Slate cleansing wash and Mighty Moisture moisturiser, I haven't used a toner. The Clean Slate leaves your skin oil/grease free without drying. My skin has never been in better shape.

TigerseyeMum Wed 27-Jul-11 22:59:17

Might bob to the supermarket and get some orange blossom water and try it smile

I adore Lebanese and middle eastern cooking too so I might try and rustle something up (ommitting the cotton wool balls of course).

TigerseyeMum Wed 27-Jul-11 23:00:41

Tulpe - I didn't know they had a range, I wil look into that thanks.

There is so much to choose from, it is so hard to find what my skin will tolerate. Took me 20 years, and now my hormones have gone bonkers and I have to start all over again hmm

TigerseyeMum Wed 27-Jul-11 23:12:28

I found this website which looks good (and cheap)

www.baseformula.com/

SleepyFergus Wed 27-Jul-11 23:14:55

I second the Liz Earle toner. It smells divine! You can buy small tester sizes from her website or John Lewis btw.

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 27-Jul-11 23:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worldgonecrazy Thu 28-Jul-11 08:35:51

Nettle tea, allowed to cool and kept in the fridge. Just boil up a load of stingers with some water for a few minutes. Keeps for about 2-3 days.

muddlinleigh Thu 28-Jul-11 12:45:29

Witch hazel on its own is a good toner, smells a tiny bit but a couple of drops of essential oil would sort that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now