Talk

Advanced search

Spotty teenage skin in my thirties :(

(16 Posts)
Ruckus Wed 27-Jul-11 15:25:33

Had my first baby nearly a year ago, and in the past 6 months my skin's got really oily and spotty. I look like a frickin teenage mum, but old (and fat. And knackered). Sigh.

My skin was always completely clear before I had the baby - but then I was always on the pill. I got superduper spotty about 3 months after coming off the pill, but when pregnant it cleared up again. Damn hormones.

Can anyone help with products/advice on clearing up my skin? Please?

iloveeverton Wed 27-Jul-11 19:37:27

Me too! Sailed through my teens without a spot- now post 2 babies I have acne. Even my Dad mentioned it today.

Would love some suggestions to help this.

RandomLady Wed 27-Jul-11 19:39:36

Same problem here. The pill is the only thing that has worked for me. Apparently you can stay on it safely until menopause (which works for me, risks and all).

jumpinghoops Wed 27-Jul-11 19:40:13

I'm going to link you to a thread I started last week here because although that was related to spots in a specific place much of the advice given to me there may be applicable to you.

In just the time since I've posted I've changed a few things and can already feel my skin settling down:

- been drinking at least 2 litres of water/day
- using skin products that are as natural as possible. Currently using Neal's Yard things but have heard good things about NUDE skincare and La Roche Posay Effaclar.
- I have been taking a 1000mg eve primrose capsule every day for a few weeks now
- Have been having Agnus Castus tincture in water with am and pm meal- both Agnus Castus and Eve Primrose are linked to hormone balance.

I went to see a nutritionist yesterday, not just for skin, but she discussed cutting out or limiting sugar and caffeine as much as possible from diet for better skin.

Essentially what I have gleaned from others is that you need to treat from inside----> out to get better skin. I hope this helps!

AnyFuleKno Wed 27-Jul-11 19:42:28

Acne.org...the regime on there is cheap and easy and cleared my skin up for good...I did it 6'years ago and nevernlooked back.

Basically you need some panoxyl low strength (2.5%) which costs about 3 quid a tube from boots. Readmthe instructions on the Acne.org for when/how much to apply.

It ain't glamorous but it is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

Popbiscuit Wed 27-Jul-11 19:47:00

Oh yes; the La Roche Posay products are wonderful. The Effaclar line is great but the Anthelios sunscreens (the spray kind that are labelled "non-comedogenic") are my holy-grail product. The ONLY sunscreen that my oily skin has ever been able to tolerate...don't know what I'd ever do without it. Worth EVERY penny.

ronx Wed 27-Jul-11 19:59:10

Origins do a fab facial scrub called 'modern friction'. I used it when I had adult acne and it cleared up my skin in about 6 weeks.

newgirl Wed 27-Jul-11 22:40:17

same as jumping hoops - when i followed a nutritionist advice my skin got so much better - key was to avoid highs and lows with sugar: so protein with every meal, not getting hungry, eat nuts with fruit to avoid sugar spikes etc, no fizzy drinks but yes to lots of water. Also cut right down on caffiene. Dull dull dull but it worked.

Lousielou Wed 27-Jul-11 22:51:48

I too had terrible skin in my 30s after coming off the pill. Tried all sorts of lotions, potions and skin care regimes. Nothing really worked and it cost me a fortune! Finally mentioned it to doc and she prescribed antibiotics - I took them for a couple of months and skin was totally clear for next few years - only went haywire again in pregnancy. Just got a short course of antibiotics again after stopping breast feeding.

cerealqueen Wed 27-Jul-11 23:30:22

When I get these episodes, I go with a buff puff sponge and dove unscented soap. Manuka Honey has antiseptic / anti-biotic properties, you need to get a certain grade, google it. Hope your skin clears up soon.

Ruckus Thu 28-Jul-11 09:19:35

Brilliant, thanks for all of these tips! Will work my way systematically through them and see what works! Cutting out sugar is going to be a blardy challenge, but if it means I stop looking like a wrinkly 17 year old, so worth it.

jumpinghoops, don't suppose you know if agnus castus and evening primrose are safe to take when bfing?

Clarabumps Thu 28-Jul-11 09:29:56

I second Origins, modern friction combined with scrub pad things that act as microdermabrasion. its the only thing that has worked for me and I've had acne for years. My skin is now clear, I still have some open pores but they are reducing in size. I'd also use Origins Mega mushroom skin relief and its a fantastic moisturiser. I'd also go to your doctor for some anti bios.

jumpinghoops Thu 28-Jul-11 09:35:09

Info here on agnus castus- usefully have just found out I shouldn't be taking it at the same time as taking the pill so I'll have to stop, whoops.

Not sure about Eve primrose- I think I vaguely remember there being info on Kellymom though if you have a look there. Good luck with regaining yr youthful glow!

brookeslay Thu 28-Jul-11 09:59:49

thats annoying jumpinghoops sounds like the other steps you are making are showing progress.

Processed sugar plays havoc with the skin free radicals etc. I am also having a Salmon fix to boost my skin. Also beware trans fattty food.

High Strength Probiotics help and food state vitamins.

You can contact a company like Victoria Health or Nutri Centre for help over the phone.

iloveeverton Thu 28-Jul-11 14:03:33

Thanks everyone- lots to get going with

I made a solution up for my DD with tea tree oil, some baby wash and put it in a plastic box with some cheap facecloths out of Poundland. Made her nearly teen skin clear up a treat so I started to use it too - has made a difference but I do have to moisturise well after I wash with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now