Talk

Advanced search

Help!! I've lost my sense of style.

(10 Posts)
dizzymac Wed 27-Jul-11 14:32:48

I'm 37, 5'5" a size 10. My figure's ok ( after 3 children) but my legs are riddled with varicose veins sad. I like fashion and I can put together an outfit but I feel like I've lost my way really. Im not sure whether I'm dress and leggings, just dress or a jeans and top girl. The current styles seem so young. They are lovely but my legs won't cope with short skirts.
I love the slim trousers and palazzo s but what do I wear with them?

To top it all off I need an outfit for a party next week. Nothing too dressy just nice and going outy (If that's a word).

Can any one give me any ideas?

sweetheart Wed 27-Jul-11 16:19:41

Why don't you book a session with a personal stylist or a personal shopper. I find it helps to bounce ideas off someone and get another opinion. You could make it a real girlie day, get your nails done and maybe a makeover at the make up counter and get a bit of your mojo back.

dizzymac Wed 27-Jul-11 16:44:49

That sounds like a great idea. I can look into that.

homeaway Wed 27-Jul-11 17:03:19

How about palazzo trousers and a floaty blouse, with killer heels ? Maxi dresses are very "now" . I was at a party last week and lots of the women wearing them.

dizzymac Wed 27-Jul-11 19:32:14

I like the idea of the trousers but will a floaty blouse with them not make me look like I'm trying to cover up? or in early stages if pregnancy?

wicketkeeper Wed 27-Jul-11 22:37:52

Totally agree with the personal shopper idea - I used the one at Debenhams last year (needed clothes for the honeymoon, had lived in a damp and dreary climate for so long I didn't possess a single item of clothing that was appropriate!!). The service is free, you only pay for what you buy, I found it great to be bounced out of my comfort zone and try stuff on that I wouldn't normally have thought of trying.

If you used to have a sense of style pre-children, you'll find it again - it's just a case of finding what works for the new you. And if they really bother you, you could look into having the veins dealt with? I'm a great believer in fixing everything that can be fixed.

newgirl Wed 27-Jul-11 22:58:40

one idea is to go to the more expensive shops boutique type places now the sales are on - that way you can find better cut clothes or bit different clothes that usually would be too expensive - it might inspire you a bit.

Gillybobs Thu 28-Jul-11 10:42:53

Do you have a friend who has great style you admire? Maybe you could ask them to go on a shopping day with you? I think people are always really flattered to be complimented this way and it will def make you try things you wouldnt otherwise have thought of.

Also I think some of the nice clothing brands have great little catalogues (almost like mini magazines) which I find quite useful for outfit ideas, Great Plains, Kew, Boden etc. Doesnt necessarily mean you have to buy the items but great for inspiring outfits (sometimes from things I already own and just hadnt thought of styling that way). Also you will probably find the next round of monthly glossy mags will be full of new season fashion features. Stick to magazines like Red and Easy Living for very wearable stuff rather than catwalk/skinny teen nonsense.

Also I empathise with your "am i a leggings/tunic or jeans/top girl" and I have solved this by deciding I am both, depends how I am feeling. Dont think you have to decide on one or the other. Buy decent quality leggings and a few tunics/dresses and also a great pair of dark wash jeans and some lovely blouse type tops. I find they look right at different occasions anyway, I save the leggings thing for very casual days with kids and do jeans/blouse when out for lunch/shopping/with friends.

HTH

dizzymac Fri 29-Jul-11 10:57:09

Thank you all for your answers. I'm going to take some quality me time this weekend and just hit the shops. I'm determined to try some new ideas and even if I don't buy them they might inspire me to think a little outside my comfort zone. If that doesn't work I'll try the personal shopper.smile

polyhymnia Fri 29-Jul-11 11:14:14

Good luck - I'd say, if you're 37 and a Size 10 the world's your oyster!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now