Talk

Advanced search

Help with finding a smart outfit please?

(15 Posts)
Niecie Wed 27-Jul-11 11:58:50

I am going to my graduation at the beginning of September and there isn't a dress code as such they just suggest somthing smart, either a dress or a suit. No way am I buying a suit as I just wouldn't wear it again - I don't have that sort of work at the moment. Besides it might be too hot.<wishful thinking>

I quite fancy a dress but I haven't had a dress for years - probably the last one was a maternity dress 11 years ago! Failing that a smart blouse/shirt and skirt - I am thinking something chiffony for the shirt but I don't know.

I am a size 18, 5ft 7" and I need sleeves, long or short but nothing sleeveless or with capped sleeves. I am pear shaped rather than apple so anything straight up and down looks bad. I need it to have a bit of shape.

The gown is mid blue so it will have an effect on the colour of the dress -tiny picture here if it helps

Oh and I don't wear black much unless it is a skirt - I'm too pale for black. I don't like grey much. Navy is better on me but on the whole I like colour.

Any ideas for smart stuff please - I want to look nice for the official photos too. grin

Thanks.

munstersmum Wed 27-Jul-11 12:01:28

Take a look at the Kaliko website?

Niecie Wed 27-Jul-11 12:35:15

Thanks for the suggestion. I have no idea where to look for nice/smart clothes these days!

I really like this one and this would be the sort of thing I am looking for if it wasn't black but I reckon they might both be too short - just the wrong side of my knees.

munstersmum Wed 27-Jul-11 13:15:12

Like the black one very much altho I rarely wear black either. I would maybe wait a couple more weeks as they tend to do a lot of 3/4 sleeve things and everything there looks scarily sleeveless very summery.

Congratulations on the successful study by the way !

homeaway Wed 27-Jul-11 13:23:37

How about a smart pair of trousers and a nice top????

homeaway Wed 27-Jul-11 13:24:58

oops sorry , just saw you want a dress.

Niecie Wed 27-Jul-11 13:40:16

Thanks smile

I can wait I suppose but it is only 6 weeks and any shopping would be with 2 boys in tow from today so opportunties for browsing are reduced to about 5 minutes!! I need to know where I am going and what I am looking for, for the sake of all our sanity.

Niecie Wed 27-Jul-11 13:42:04

Homeaway, I am open to nice tops but would probably prefer a smart skirt than trousers. I wear casual trousers but never feel proper smart in trousers - too pear shaped. sad

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 27-Jul-11 20:14:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Niecie Wed 27-Jul-11 21:00:36

Thanks SevenAgainstThebes. I must be really dense because I never thought to look at any of those sites. I haven't bought anything 'special' for so long I have no idea where to look!

My favourites are the same as yours - the navy but I also like the blue Jaeger and the patterned Phase Eight. The problem with the blue and the navy is that I think they might be too short. I need a hem just below the knee rather than just above it as I don't have the knees to show off. The knot front one is lovely and I think a bit longer but I was trying to imagine it under the gown and wondering if it was too jazzy. Maybe it would be worth ordering for a look.

Any thoughts on skirts and tops? I am worried that dresses might not look good on so I need to be thinking of alternatives and I don't really want to look like I am about to go to the office! On the other hand I don't want to look like I am going to a party either.

Niecie Wed 27-Jul-11 21:02:41

Is this too dull or not dress enough - here.

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 27-Jul-11 23:21:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Niecie Thu 28-Jul-11 12:54:50

Thanks again. Yes, the shortest skirt length for me is 24" and I reckon dresses can't be any shorter than 99cm/39" from shoulder to knee. Difficult with dresses though as they seem to measure them from different positions depending on the brand.

I will look at the links shortly. I am supposed to be going out but got side tracked by clothes. blushsmile

Niecie Sat 30-Jul-11 11:58:35

Right had a look at your links Seven. Thanks for those.

I love the spotty JL top and also the Jaeger one (to hid the bingo wings). Love the Hobbs tie neck one too (although what were they thinking, teaming it with that skirt!!) but having orginally thought I would like a cream chiffony/silky tie neck blouse I wonder if it might be all a bit fussy around the neck with the graduation paraphenalia to consider?

Love the blue LK Bennett skirt as well. A line does work in the smaller size usually so it might be worth a go although I think I would need a plain white top and what to do about the shoes too?!

I like the Jigsaw one but it might be a bit much for the occasion.

Oh this is hard. Now is the time to look for bargains obviously but I wish I had the graduation robes to see what they look like and also I am now fretting about shoes! It has also brought to light just what a rut I have got into with clothes and how few shops I actually go in these days.

Thanks for all the ideas though - it has been very helpful. Really the best thing I can do it start ordering some and seeing what looks best.

Niecie Sat 30-Jul-11 11:59:54

Oh I forgot the purple spotty Phase Eight blouse. Love that. I would happily wear that and a plain skirt but it is out of stock. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now