Talk

Advanced search

Beautiful shoes for the wide of foot - a campaign perhaps?

(53 Posts)
HerRoyalNotness Wed 27-Jul-11 10:48:56

I ordered a pair of LKB Sledge shoes in Charcoal which were totally gorgeous, but alas could not get my feet into them <ugly step-sister emoticon>

Who makes beautiful shoes for wide feet? Or do we need a campaign for current manufacturers to add a wide foot option to their most popular styles?

ellangirl Wed 27-Jul-11 12:24:51

I agree herroyalnotness, I can never understand how Next for example choose the shoes they make in wide fit- it's mostly all the horrible ones! Like young people all have narrow feet until they get old and then suddenly they become wide, and require granny shoes! I wish wide fit boots didn't also mean made for wide calves...

Chocamochalatte Wed 27-Jul-11 13:48:45

I'll join your campaign! I have this problem too!! Also discovered that Next and New Look's so called wide shoes are not even wide anyway!!!!

HerRoyalNotness Wed 27-Jul-11 16:17:18

Great, that's three of us. Must be more out there? Don't tell us to shop in clarkes or wear ecco, what else can we do

fluffyanimal Wed 27-Jul-11 16:22:12

I have wide feet and only ever buy shoes online now. Have a look at the Shoe Tailor or Hotter, they have some quite nice things. I do usually have to order 3 or 4 different pairs to try on and send back the ones I like least/fit less well, which is a bit of a faff but otherwise I'm mostly satisfied.

Cattleprod Wed 27-Jul-11 16:37:27

Can we include narrow feet in the campaign too? smile

I can't find any sandals where my feet don't slide straight through, or toes crush against the front as there's nothing to hold them back. And toe posts - it's like my feet are getting wedgies!! I've been known to buy a size 3 just to get the correct width - I'm normally a 6.

If companies can manage to make childrens shoes in different width fittings, and even half sizes, why can't they do the same for adults?

Fimbo Wed 27-Jul-11 16:42:23

I have given up. I wear boots in winter. Managed to pick up Fryes in T K Maxx for $70 (sorry pound sign not working). Usually end up in converse or birkies for the rest of the year. Have spent many years with cut and bleeding feet especially around my big toe joint. Even ballet flats dig into me. Have heard good things about Bloch ballet pumps but they are very expensive unless you can pick them up cheaply in T K Maxx.

Huffpot Wed 27-Jul-11 16:43:13

Completley agree with wide foot issue - to top off my dilemma not only do I have wide feet I also have to wear orthotics which means extra width! At the moment the only shoes I can wear are New Balance trainers and I do love shoes sigh

tartiflette Wed 27-Jul-11 16:58:04

Yes me me me!
This year has been mostly pain free as was on maternity leave and went straight from Uggs all winter to flipflops in Spring. Mine are super wide and normal shoes (especially flat ones for some reason, heels not so bad) absolutely kill.
Agree about the Next ones, although I did find some decent grey suede ballet pumps last season... M&S are horrific and I don't even know anywhere else that does wide ones.

CDMforever Wed 27-Jul-11 17:04:02

I have wide, bunion inflicted tootsies so know where OP is coming from.
I have found some gorgeous ones at M and S. Their Footglove range which is also wide fitting.
Chocolate brown wedge sandals. Fantastic!

NoMoreWasabi Wed 27-Jul-11 17:10:11

M&S footglove range wide fitting has clearly been designed by a Disney Princess's idea of wide.

TheMonster Wed 27-Jul-11 17:12:51

Simply Be do some good wide footwear.

NotQuiteSoDesperate Wed 27-Jul-11 17:58:47

Count me in too! I desperately need lovely, glamorous shoes for a wedding or evenings out and can never find any.

spanky2 Wed 27-Jul-11 18:01:23

I sometimes think I must have flippers instead of feet as they are so w i d e. I can't get my feet into next shoes. sad

Piffpaffpoff Wed 27-Jul-11 18:19:02

Did Evans not do some half decent wide shoes for a while? I basically live in Birkies in the Summer and then Merrell outdoor trainer/walking shoe things in winter. I would love some 'pretty' shoes but size 8 and superwide means that's a fairly unfulfilled dream! Will go and investigate some of the suggestions on this thread.

higgle Wed 27-Jul-11 18:27:29

I'm in this category too. I'm afraid Hotter doesn't cut it with me - all fuggly granny shoes. The fact that my cousins who are 70+ all wear Hotter is another disincentive. Duo do wide fitting shoes, and I will be trying some on in a fortnight or so when I have a day out in Bath. I'd always assumed Fly London would be narrow but there were a few lines left in a sale that I tried on last week and althougn I didn't like the actual shoes they did fit and were comfortable.

Me too, and I also wear orthotics, although not all the time now. Basically Iend up in boots for winter (and those are hard to find too, as I also have wide calves and don't like / can't afford most of Duo's styles). I wear Scholl or Birkenstock sandals in the summer, with a couple of pairs of Clarks flats for work. Very lucky I work somewhere with informal dress code, summer would be impossible if I was in a smart office. Court shoes (when I can get them on) cut right in across the top of my foot. Ballet flats, just don't fit or get stretched so they look awful. Oddly, I can wear really high courts, because it flexes your toes they don't cut in, but as I have a bad back I can't wear heels too often.

WholeLottaRosie Wed 27-Jul-11 19:17:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

twoistwiceasfun Wed 27-Jul-11 19:58:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Naetha Wed 27-Jul-11 20:12:54

I'll join this one too - I'm fed up of wearing fugly, or super painful shoes.

I used to think I had size 7/8 feet - it actually turns out that I have size 5 1/2 feet, they're just really wide.

For flats, try Blowfish shoes - they're very wide and comfy, but they can look a bit Minnie Mousey if you're not careful. Other than that, I live in Emus in the winter and Asda shoes in the summer (one style they do is fab, wide and very comfy - I buy a new pair every year as for a tenner, they're not bad and I don't mind throwing them away in september for that).

As for heels and going out shoes, well to be honest, I give up. I have a pair of size 7 wide fit sandals that I can get away with wearing, but that's about it. The Next wide fit sandals made my feet bleed. I thought I'd hit the jackpot with the M&S wide fit courts, but I had to go down half a size to stop them slipping off when I walked, by which point the weren't wide enough.

At least I'm sorted with trainers though - New Balance all the way. And they're made in the UK.

ggirl Wed 27-Jul-11 21:07:34

I'll joiiin the campaign.
Have to wear a 7 but am really a 5.5,that rules out courts cos they flop at the back and are unwearable.

DamselInDisarray Wed 27-Jul-11 21:16:26

I'd like to campaign for shoes that fit those of us with feet that are wide across the toes but very narrow at the heel (like duck feet) with stupidly high arches and narrow ankles and calves. Also feet that become shredded and blistered at the vaguest contact with shoes.

The best I can do is Birkenstocks but even they give me blisters.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-Jul-11 22:26:23

I live in Paris. I would be shot at point blank range by the style police if I set foot outside the house in Hotter shoes. Ditto Emma Ness's Footglove range. Duo and Fly are the way to go.

kindlekid Thu 28-Jul-11 08:59:11

I want in on this too.

I have hideous feet - DH calls them hooves.

I have smallish feet 4 1/2 but really wide with short toes.

I hate shoe shopping and dread formal occasions.

MumblingRagDoll Thu 28-Jul-11 09:03:01

kindlekid I also have "hooves" and my DH says I need Farrier not a Chiropodist.

sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now