Talk

Advanced search

tatty devine -- a question!

(11 Posts)
mittenkitten Tue 26-Jul-11 13:54:23

Tatty -- I know I have seen you recommend a foil cap for those attempting highlights at home. What is the name of it and where do you buy it??

My other question . . . I have only used a cap once, many years ago, and results were far from optimal. How on earth is it possible to control which bits of hair you are highlighting when all your hair is jammed under a cap and you can't actually see it?

Not sure if I am really going to do this, btw! Might well chicken out.

applecrumbleandcream Tue 26-Jul-11 14:23:10

Mittenkitten If it's the same one, Tatty recommended to me the Scott Cornwall highlighting cap a little while ago. I was going to attempt to bleach with the highlighting cap and then colour over my own hair but I did chicken out (plus not yet had the time)! Got all the equipment ready to go though so thinking about it this weekend.

Apparently, your second question of controlling which bits of your hair are highlighted, the Scott Cornwall one is marketed to do this (Tatty will probably come along and explain how). I think you draw in pen on the highlights cap and pull those bits through.

ChaoticAngelofGryffindor Tue 26-Jul-11 14:49:04

Scott Cornwall

If that's the one then you can get it a Boots.

ChaoticAngelofGryffindor Tue 26-Jul-11 14:50:27

at Boots blush

mittenkitten Tue 26-Jul-11 15:26:49

Yes!! Thanks Apple and Chaotic!!

That said, I am having some second thoughts because I have shoulder length hair and I honestly can't see how I could place the highlights with any precision.

Going to read up on balayage (the technique where the colourist paints the highights on, rather than using foils) and see if there are any pointers on doing that oneself . . . .

mittenkitten Tue 26-Jul-11 18:08:16

Hm. Indeed it looks quite doable.

I am going to get some supplies (stronger developer etc.) and do this. It may even be fun.

TattyDevine Tue 26-Jul-11 18:17:36

It is fun!!!

In terms of where you place them - in all honesty, even drawing the patterns that Scott says in his book (read the book) it may be a little hit and miss - but to be honest once you have the hook through a hole you can "feel" where the hair is coming from as you hook at your scalp.

That said, the results even if you just randomly pull fine sections through in any old fashion are SO good - really salon-like - that I don't feel you can go too wrong which is why I recommend the product.

I have on many occasions randomly pulled fine sections through in any old fashion (I always intend to follow a pattern but then I just dont) wine and bleached, rinsed, tinted, then washed it all off (I always "true tone" mine) and they have always been simply fab. I just randomly pull fine sections round the whole front section. It gives a lovely fine smattering of lighter shades. What's not to like!

Just give it a go, the ABSOLUTE WORST thing that can happen (if you are already "tinted") is that you have to cover over with your "normal" colour. If not already tinted and are trying to highlight natural hair, I feel your fear but sometimes you just have to try these things.

I absolutely promise you the method is both easier and more natural and better looking results than balyage at home. For a start, you can "true tone" which you can't do with balyage (read the book)... x

mittenkitten Wed 27-Jul-11 13:57:33

Thanks much Tatty! I think I will have to buy the cap and have a good look at it. I already know what I want to do -- basically a Z-shaped pattern using three levels -- highlights 7 and 8, base a 6 -- so the question becomes whether I can pull this off myself. Will have to figure out how much I will be able to control the result using the cap. I might have to simplify the colour scheme slightly or just do a T-section.

That said, I am usually up for a challenge!

applecrumbleandcream Wed 27-Jul-11 20:46:29

Mittenkitten you definitely sound like you know what you're doing! Good luck. I think I will be brave and try myself - got a free afternoon Sunday so would be a good time.

Tatty I have bought the Jerome Russell bleach but my hair is really quite dark as a result of too many home dying root jobs. What colour will it be when it is bleached and how long do you leave the bleach on?

TattyDevine Wed 27-Jul-11 21:19:08

Apple it might be hard to get it up to a reasonable blonde - but you should be able to achieve a light rust, which you can then slap a permo colour over (like dark blonde, achieving a caramel tone, which will lighten the overall effect)...

You might need to leave it on for an hour but do check the directions.

applecrumbleandcream Wed 27-Jul-11 21:53:51

OK will do, thanks for all your help Tatty! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now