Talk

Advanced search

Ever worn a women's tux to a posh do?

(15 Posts)
PetiteMum Mon 25-Jul-11 21:54:24

I am seriously considering this for an upcoming event but no idea what to look for.....am taken by the idea of a White jacket, but what to wear with? Or am I being awkward grin

PetiteMum Tue 26-Jul-11 22:39:02

Nobody?

Macaroona Tue 26-Jul-11 22:40:33

Lots of celeb things wearing them - Alexa Chung et al. Wouldn't do it myself - rare are opportunities in my life to wear a posh dress, I wouldn't pass one up!

PetiteMum Wed 27-Jul-11 20:50:42

Indeed, but I am fixated on this look that kirsten is rocking..... www.fashionologie.com/Shop-Womens-Tuxedo-Eveningwear-Look-17796337
She looks so good! Think I would add a statement bracelet or something though....or maybe earrings? Also, I don't know whether that look can be achieved by this jacket and black skinny trousers??

www.matchesfashion.com/fcp/product/Matches-Fashion/Jackets/acne-ACNE-X-FEARLESS-COT-jackets-WHITE/17601?qxjkl=tsid:30065%7Ccat:0RpXOIXA500

CombineArvester Wed 27-Jul-11 20:55:43

Someone turned up to a do I was at in a tux, she looked fab but she was pretty with a good figure anyway. Lots of sneery women said she was attention seeking but I thought no more attention seeking than their cleavage flashing.

If you look good in one go for it.

CombineArvester Wed 27-Jul-11 20:58:00

I like the ivory one , I think the ACNE outfit is a bit Liverpool fashionista, might be for an expensive city night out rather than an event...

Disclaimer - no offence intended for Liverpool girls but it is a certain high fashion look I am trying to describe.

PetiteMum Wed 27-Jul-11 21:02:17

I see what you mean...... Hmm well I'm a size 12 and think ( hope ) I can pull it off grin.

Or should I stick to classic black or navy? You've out me off that jacket now lol!!

PetiteMum Wed 27-Jul-11 21:03:45

How about this? www.allsaintsarchive.com/women/tailoring/jacinth-jacket/black/wjc030-5

Forgot to ask, was she wearing a black one? And a shirt or something else on top? I'm feeling rather daring as you can see

CombineArvester Wed 27-Jul-11 21:14:47

Oh sorry I still think you could do the jacket but not with the skinny trousers / stripy top / bag combo they've got in that pic. I do like the jacket.

Are you rich? Stella McCartney does lovely tuxedo jackets. What you need is to find a High Street rip-off of that. There's a decent white Biba one in HoF here.

Or pied a terre

Or for the young and perhaps tall

CombineArvester Wed 27-Jul-11 21:17:11

That all saints one is lovely. There is a rather twinkly black one in Jaegar here

Girl was wearing a black shiny one similar to the all saints one and just a black shiny vest thing underneath iirc. She also had a fab tiny 1920s hat thing.

PetiteMum Wed 27-Jul-11 21:29:06

Oh cool! Don't think I could pull off a hat.... Hmmm loving the biba and pied a terre thanks! Nah not rich I'm afraid! do you think I could do cream jacket with black trousers and black top?

CombineArvester Wed 27-Jul-11 21:35:26

Given that they are the same price ish I think the Biba one is better for a night out. Black top and black trousers could be done but what about a turquoise or pink satiny / shiny top? Depending on your colouring obv. Just not stripy / too fussy. If you go for black top and black trousers do you have any shiny colour pop brightly coloured shoes?

PetiteMum Wed 27-Jul-11 21:49:03

Hmmmm no I don't..... Was aiming for the classic look you see? But feel a shirt might look too board meeting? Will need killer heels and v nice jewellery too....

tethersend Wed 27-Jul-11 21:50:38

I'd get this cream silk jumpsuit and wear it with a cream tux jacket like the Biba one.

Would also go with a black jacket.

FebreezeYourJeans Wed 27-Jul-11 21:52:00

I wore a black tux and killer heels to a James Bond themed ball. It weirdly felt very sexy, and if I could drop about 20lb I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now