Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help - first trimester clothing woes

(12 Posts)
MrsCog Mon 25-Jul-11 21:25:12

Hi everyone, I'm 7+3 with DC1 and the past week my confidence has taken a nosedive. I'm normally a very pear shaped size 8-10, but lean, but the first trimester seems to be taking it's toll (and I don't even feel like I'm eating that much - maybe slightly more than usual but not masses) and all my clothes are tight and weird fitting already.

There's obviously no bump yet, and I'm going to the shops tomorrow. Has anyone got any suggestions of a couple of things I can buy to make me feel better? I presume it is too early to look at maternity stuff? Should I just get myself a pair of jeans in the next size up? And has anyone got any recommendations of styles/types of clothes that will still be ok with a small bump (to save buying things that will only get a few weeks wear).

Oh and I'm 27, and like to look trendyish - not really trendy, but contemporary I suppose.

Please help! And thanks smile

Gastonladybird Mon 25-Jul-11 21:30:33

Different style jeans - gap curvy ones have lower and wider waist so are useful. Any top that is looser (eg tipsy or empire style). Layering looser or layered clothes (gap fat face and even abercrombie tops have done a job).

Gastonladybird Mon 25-Jul-11 21:32:21

Sorry gipsy... Also I am making most of looser summer dresses or longer shirts over skirts or shorts to hide bump(am but further a long so like you not quite at maternity stage but as it's dc2 that day not long off).

Olivetti Mon 25-Jul-11 21:34:42

I felt all round and bloated pretty much as soon as I was pregnant, but if it's any consolation I went on to have a very neat bump and a very "tidy" looking pregnancy!
I bought myself a pair of black maternity jeans from Seraphine at about 10 weeks. They did slip down if I sat down for too long, but just for a few weeks, and then I wore them none-stop throughout!
If you like dresses, they are loads more comfortable and I think jersey dresses/wrap dresses are great for the early stages.
Best of luck with your pregnancy!

Gastonladybird Mon 25-Jul-11 21:39:47

Agree re wrap dresses but I am superstitious (and vain) so Wait til have neat bump rather than looking like a fat coach driver (thanks dh for that..)

coastgirl Mon 25-Jul-11 21:46:08

There are lots of empire-line/floaty tunic tops in the shops that will be comfy now and last you till probably late on in pregnancy. I gave up on jeans early but managed to find a pair of stretch cord jegging-type things with elastic waist - I know that sounds awful but they're nice, honest, and I have worn them up until 36 weeks with a long top. I hated most maternity clothes because they're so untrendy and boring, so I've avoided them a lot.

Dresses and leggings have been a saviour at work, although it's not what I usually wear. I second the jersey dress rec.

Actually in the first trimester I went to Primark and spent £70 on vest tops in a size up, empire-line tops, leggings, a waterfall cardi and jumper dress...that all did me for a good three months or so.

Zwitterion Mon 25-Jul-11 21:47:09

Personally I wouldn't get one size up - you'll just look bigger. Good maternity clothes are cut well and flatter- try Isabella Oliver for dresses. H&M and TopShop are also quite good. I love dresses, but you could try some maternity jeans now (I liked Gap) or leggings and a longer top.

Have you done the hair bobble thing with your jeans? This kept me going for a few weeks with a long top.

Gastonladybird Mon 25-Jul-11 21:48:52

Agree with coastgir that you have to be selective re maternity gear. Seems not much changed on another look tonight since had dd- I am pregnant not lacking mirrors in my home and nor do I have a manmade fibre or shiny material fetish hmm

MrsCog Mon 25-Jul-11 22:07:42

Wow thanks everyone! I think maybe its tops I need to focus on - I normally wear shorter, fitted tops (due to being pear shaped and short waisted) but I think I might try some longer ones - can then hair bobble jeans, and maybe wear leggings (would normally avoid due to proportionally massive arse).

Will also take a look at some gap jeans.

coastgirl Mon 25-Jul-11 23:19:24

I always wore fitted tops but have embraced the long top! I saw a loose blouse in the window of New Look today that I would definitely consider if I was going the pregnant at work in the autumn - or a loose stripy tunic looks nice with leggings and flats. Try a bump band with your jeans, too - if you've not got a bump you can tuck it under the waistband (leaving it unbuttoned/zipped and then fold it back over the top if that makes sense. Sort of making your own elasticated waist. Layer with long-line vest and then a normal t-shirt.

I was looking forward to buying maternity clothes but they're dire. I thought even the expensive ones were conservative and overpriced.

AlpinePony Tue 26-Jul-11 07:12:49

If you've got junk in your trunk then you know where to buy jeans which flatter. You could always try a pair/brand you'd normally avoid like the plague due to gaping waist. ;)

I'm first trimester but because of massive arse/thighs I never have owned a pair of jeans which really fit at the waist.

LuckyMrsT Tue 26-Jul-11 11:37:32

I had Zara skinny jeans with the over bump band and Topshop Leigh maternity jeans. Both fit perfectly even before I had a bump and were so comfy. You couldn't tell they were maternity but the waistband was softer for me. Also agree with leggings. H&M do nice long vest tops. No need for baggy tents. Next time I'm going into maternity much earlier - I felt too self conscious to do it when I was getting uncomfortable last time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now