Talk

Advanced search

Do Spanx really work?

(9 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Mon 25-Jul-11 20:57:26

In the last 5 years I've gained a stone and can't seem to shift it, problem is I still go for the type of clothes I'd LIKE to look good in ! Today a tunic type dress arrived from Next, lovely quality, lined, but it looked ghastly on! Do Spanx really give you a smooth line and knock a dress size off? Or is that wishful thinking? I've ordered some to try... But before I part with 33 quid on a pair of knickers I'd like the brutal truth!

I got this and it really really does knock a size off. It's made the difference of me walking up the aisle in a bridesmaid dress instead of me hiding in the loos pretending my zipper's stuck.

FaffTastic Mon 25-Jul-11 21:02:44

They give me a smoother line and perk my bum up but don't find they hold my stomach in dramatically plus I find the waistband rolls down. Best pair of suck them in pants that I've found are debenhams cycling short with high waist type ones for £ 12.

I don't rate the trinny and susannah ones or the gok wan ones.

But you can send them back if you don't like them once they arrive?

janmoomoo Mon 25-Jul-11 22:11:31

I like the spanx, hold the tummy in nicely. I usually cant wait to rip them off at the end of the evening tho.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 26-Jul-11 00:11:30

does that mean they are dreadfully uncomfortable? <hopes not>

PrettyCandles Tue 26-Jul-11 00:17:29

Yes, they work. I walked down the stairs all dressed up to go out, and my sister asked "Are you wearing Spanx?" She said they made huge difference.

As for comfort, they are a bit like a lovely pair of heels that you felt gorgeous in all evening, danced in them, but are nonetheless very glad to take off when you get home! I have the high-waisted bum-and-tum ones, and they don't roll down, though very occasionally the legs roll up. I can't work out why - possibly something to do with what material I wear over them?

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 26-Jul-11 00:21:59

well ill try them on when they arrive..

i would dearly love to just drop the stone i gained but no matter what i seem to do it wont go! i go to the gym 3 times a week, i eat sensibly....im waiting for an injury to go to start running again.....im not a small 14. i can get my 14 jeans off without undoing them but i cant fasten my 12's! frustrating! im rather hoping for miracles with the spanx!

NotADudeExactly Tue 26-Jul-11 00:26:05

They work. But nowhere near as well as a proper steel boned corset.

I mean, if you're going for structured textile help anyway, ... grin

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 28-Jul-11 00:24:22

Yeah well I wasn't impressed enough to part with £33 on big knickers! I got size B... Second size up(I'm not huge!) but they did sod all for my tummy, which is really where need help! So they're off back... I think my slinky days are behind me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now