Talk

Advanced search

Cambridge satchel eventually arrived, not sure about it!

(15 Posts)
Lazydaisy55 Mon 25-Jul-11 16:08:25

I have been waiting for 5 weeks for my purple batchel, and it has now arrived. But I am not sure about it? Ideally I would love an Alexa, but could never afford one. So I thought a satchel would be a logical alternative.

Does the leather soften up? If so, how long does it take? At the moment it looks very stiff, and not very "handbaggy".

Help

I'm not fond of them tbh - they are v stiff and a lot of money for something that looks a bit (erm...whispers) cheap. Then again, there's no way I'd fork out all that for an Alexa either. Clarks had a couple of nice satchels in their sale; otherwise Topshop or Urban Outfitters or M&S Autograph could be worth a look.

polyhymnia Mon 25-Jul-11 16:27:17

Must admit I don't like them - too much like actual satchels for me.
I have a lovely soft Comptoir des Cotonniers satchel style bag - though, whilst it wasn't as £££ as an Alexa, I did pay much more than I intended for it !

monkeysmama Mon 25-Jul-11 17:42:03

I have both and tbh they're entirely different bags. I love my satchel but they keep their shape & don't soften much - I've had mine for years now and it'll never resemble my Alexa texture (or other) wise. Sorry.

Lazydaisy55 Mon 25-Jul-11 19:09:19

I have decided to send it back and have a refund. Hopefully it will be a straight forward process. Thanks for the comments, they were helpful.

wompoopigeon Mon 25-Jul-11 19:37:49

They are lovely but everyone has got them now.
I think you've made the right choice.

chandellina Mon 25-Jul-11 20:14:25

don't you have to actually unbuckle the buckles on them? i would find that incredibly annoying when reaching for wallet, oyster card or whatever.

Lazydaisy55 Mon 25-Jul-11 20:48:45

Yes, the buckles are the old type, ie have to be unbuckled not magnetic.

BelaLugosiinStripes Mon 25-Jul-11 21:44:51

If you want soft leather then Scaramanga is my suggestion. I bought a satchel from there last year & its been brilliant, decent size and pockets. It depends what look you want - as it's 'per-worn' it might not be for you.

BelaLugosiinStripes Mon 25-Jul-11 21:45:04

pre-worn sorry

Lazydaisy55 Tue 26-Jul-11 20:18:29

Thanks for the line for Scaramanga bags, they look really nice.

Lazydaisy55 Thu 28-Jul-11 19:00:06

I solved my satchel problem by digging out my school satchel which now looks very "vintage". Not impressed by the Cambridge satchel co. They debit your account on the day you order a bag, and credit it on the Friday following its return!

monkeysmama Thu 28-Jul-11 21:09:02

Glad you've solved your bag "problem". I'm surprised at your experience of the Cambridge Satchel place - I had one of my best customer experiences ever with them. Though that was a few years ago before they became hyper popular.

mittenkitten Fri 29-Jul-11 12:43:39

Just wanted to say tx for the link Belalugosi. That looks like exactly what I'm looking for!

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 29-Jul-11 23:43:25

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now