Talk

Advanced search

if you had a silver/grey dress and a red bag...

(45 Posts)
Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 15:47:46

...what colour wrap would you wear?

The dress has a swirly pattern and the bag is plain red leather, if that helps. I am extremely bad at accessorizing, but I suspect that two shades of red is a bad thing.

I have a cream wrap that I usually wear with the dress, but I'm wearing it for a wedding so I'm nervous about the rules on wearing white/anything close to white.

Any advice?

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 15:59:11

Please help! Even if you just tell me that the cream wrap will be OK!

colditz Mon 25-Jul-11 16:01:33

wine red

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:02:59

Wine red, even with a red bag...?

colditz Mon 25-Jul-11 16:05:06

yup. Only my opinion, but with a swirly patterned dress, you don't want many other colours going on

HeavyHeidi Mon 25-Jul-11 16:14:42

same shade of red or gray/silver to match the dress.

ViolaTricolor Mon 25-Jul-11 16:15:30

What colour are your shoes?

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:19:36

Nude shoes. I would consider buying new ones, but I have the fear about coordinating bag and shoes... You can tell I'm no good at this, right?

Jaquelinehyde Mon 25-Jul-11 16:24:49

Red knecklace, black wrap, black shoes.

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:25:08

You think I need red shoes, don't you...? Sigh...

TheProvincialLady Mon 25-Jul-11 16:25:39

I don't think you need to worry about looking too bride-ish if you are wearing a silver dress and carrying a red bag. You can wear the cream wrap if it goes.

Jaquelinehyde Mon 25-Jul-11 16:25:52

**necklace blush

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:26:59

Ah-ha! Ex-post. My saviour - black shoes, eh? Should be do-able, even for me. I like the thinking with the red necklace. Hadn't even got to jewellry. It does mean shoe-shopping, of course. Probably a good thing. Someone accused my nude kitten-heels of being 'mummy shoes' on their last outing...

Macaroona Mon 25-Jul-11 16:27:35

Tbh it doesn't sound like the bag goes with the dress in the first place! Contrasting colour for a plain unpatterned dress, but it's starting to sound a bit fussy with a wrap too.

Link to dress and bag?

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:28:11

Or even better x-post! Thank you TPL. (I promise the cream wrap does go - the dress is odd like that...)

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:30:25

Oh god. Don't want to link. I know the bag is wrong. But I love it. OK - this one. This one.

I want a bag big enough to squeeze my flats into (pg and bad with heels).

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:30:48

Can't find a link to the dress, which would be more helpful...

Macaroona Mon 25-Jul-11 16:34:27

Lovely bag, but I don't think v weddingy at all I'm afraid! How about an oversized clutch - Topshop and H and M do cheap ones - you'll still be able to fit ballet flats smile in all honesty, black or silver accessories sound better with your dress. Or maybe cream if it works?

Where's dress from?

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:37:18

Dress is Phase 8 from a couple of years ago. It has a regular pattern of silver grey swirls.

I know it's not weddingy... I was basically clutching at the straw offered by the TKMaxx website saying it's even suitable for formal wear! I really suck at this. (And I really like the bag!)

Mandyville Mon 25-Jul-11 16:40:19

Rats - got to go. Back this evening. Thanks, all for kind suggestions. Maybe I'll photograph the dress tonight...

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 25-Jul-11 16:46:36

Definitely not the bag...sorry.

And are you sure the shoes go? Nude shoes with grey/ silver dress, not convinced.

If I were you I would be taking a silver clutch (are there any possibilities here) and wearing silver shoes I think....

You could then probably get away with almost any colour wrap but the cream one would probably be fine.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 25-Jul-11 16:55:09

Agree, don't like the bag and not sure about a red bag anyway, or nude shoes ...
But NOT black shoes either. Too heavy-looking. I'd go:

- silver/grey shoes (not to match dress: a few shades darker, but same tone)
- electric-blue wrap
- bag ... I'd invest in a nice clutch, oversized to fit your spare shoes. And think you could get away with a pattern, in whatever colours you fancy.

polyhymnia Mon 25-Jul-11 17:17:08

Definitely silver shoes not nude - probably with silver bag. Could then introduce colour with wrap.

NorksAreMessy Mon 25-Jul-11 17:24:22

Sorry, I agree. The red bag is too heavy for the dress (although v. useful for other occasions, my DM has it)

Silver, grey shoes or at a pinch navy blue sandals.
Wrap silver or grey
Handbag navy blue if it is tiny, otherwise silver or grey.

This will make you feel sleek and groomed. A contrast will make you feel a bit 1990s

Ebay is your friend, you can snaffle up bag, wrap and shoes for peanuts. Don't worry either about how well it will 'wear' or how much use you will get out of it...just bung it back on ebay after the wedding

NorksAreMessy Mon 25-Jul-11 17:24:51

And whilst you are there...put the nude shoes on ebay smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now