Talk

Advanced search

Did you have any regrets for your wedding dress/wish you'd done something differently?

(48 Posts)
AbsDuCroissant Mon 25-Jul-11 14:31:25

Just wondering. I've thought I'd found the dress about 50 times, and continue looking. Reading catinboots' thread on chat, there were some people who wished that they'd worn a more dramatic dress etc. and I've heard of some people regretting their choice/being bullied into something.

so - any regrets?

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 25-Jul-11 14:46:41

Not regrets exactly, but I walk past a wedding dress shop every day on the way to work and they have had some gorgeous lace dresses in the window recently, I don't think I tried on a lace dress or even considered it but I think that was because it wasn't the fashion at the time.

I do think these look gorgeous and if I was getting married now I would definitely consider one but I still look at my wedding pictures and think I scrubbed up pretty well....

On a separate note DD2 (2) was looking a a wedding pic of DH and mine at my parents the other day and said "There's Daddy" pause "Where's Mummy" - the years have clearly been kinder to DH blush

WhipMeIndiana Mon 25-Jul-11 14:51:11

I tried on lace and it was itchy as hell. hated it.
Loved my dress, but almost wish I'd gone more outrageous!

DrunkenDaisy Mon 25-Jul-11 15:06:21

I hate my dress and wish I'd worn something more dramatic and spent more.

This could be becasue DD declared it 'gross'.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 25-Jul-11 15:22:10

I hated my wedding dress, but I struggled to find one within budget that fitted (a health issue saw me gain 5 stone in 6 months) we're looking at renewing our vows next year for our 10 year anniversary, and I'm working on losing weight, so hopefully the next one will be a lot nicer!

higgle Mon 25-Jul-11 15:24:19

Just remember that you will be looking at your photographs in 25 or 50 years time ( hopefully) with fond memories of your wonderful day. If you do too dramatic or high fashion you might just look a teensy bit silly to your grand children. A couple of my cousins who are now approaching 70 wore mini dress meringues, pointy toed high heels and those glasses with wings - that wasn't a look that has lasted. My mother's generation with fairly plain dresses - in fact her dress was very Kate - have fared better when the photos come out.

daimbardiva Mon 25-Jul-11 15:27:58

I absolutely loved mine - it was the second one I tried on, I tried on loads more but knew I'd go back to it.

I felt a million dollars in it, and can't imagine I'll ever look back at photos and regret it. In fact, it makes me sad to think I'll never wear it again!

noviceoftheday Mon 25-Jul-11 15:28:25

I loved loved loved my dress! I had many days out dress hunting. There isn't a single style I didn't try even those that I blatantly knew were wrong for me and I looked at many different designers. After over 50 dresses, I found the right one.....the very first one I had tried on!!

noviceoftheday Mon 25-Jul-11 15:28:26

I loved loved loved my dress! I had many days out dress hunting. There isn't a single style I didn't try even those that I blatantly knew were wrong for me and I looked at many different designers. After over 50 dresses, I found the right one.....the very first one I had tried on!!

daimbardiva Mon 25-Jul-11 15:28:36

Oh, and it was a raw silk dress by Pronovias if anyone's interested!

PuttingMyFootInIt Mon 25-Jul-11 15:34:20

I made so many changes to an 'off the peg' designer dress it ended up being bespoke AND then the designer liked it so much they made it one of their regular line (with some changes, mine was nicer!) - I loved it and I hope to see the dress it inspired in a wedding sometime.

It was lace and had sleeves (not entirely unlike Kate Middleton's), but also SPANGLES and ooo I loved it.

BulletWithAName Mon 25-Jul-11 15:49:44

I love reading these threads and hearing about all the different sorts of wedding dresses you all wore, because I'm very very jealous of you all as I'm not married yet!

I know what my dress will be though, I've planned it all out grin

EverythingInMiniature Mon 25-Jul-11 15:53:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EverythingInMiniature Mon 25-Jul-11 15:53:52

AbsDuCroissant Mon 25-Jul-11 16:16:17

I agree - let's see this super dress putting!

So they let you mess with the design? My difficulty is that I want/need to have my chest and arms covered, and so few dresses are like that, so when I find one I like I'm mentally going "right. What can I do?"

PuttingMyFootInIt Mon 25-Jul-11 16:18:38

It was originally a strapless dress with a bolero thingy and I wanted them attatched somehow and they made it into a one-piece.

I would love to post a picture but this is, stupidly, a namechange and I don't want to be identified IRL. Next time there's a wedding dress thread I will tell the same story and post pictures, that'll work, right?

BlooCowWonders Mon 25-Jul-11 16:19:26

no regrets about dress, but I do regret not practising kneeling/ sitting/ posing in mine!

Mine was v simple, empire style with the bodice covered in lace, but was very straight, hence the difficulty getting back up after kneeling!

JanMorrow Mon 25-Jul-11 16:21:10

my dress is very of the moment and a bit different.. I'm sure it will amuse the kids/grandkids no end in years to come! All part of the fun I say.

AbsDuCroissant Mon 25-Jul-11 16:21:24

Agreed putting.

AngryFeet Mon 25-Jul-11 16:31:42

I loved my dress but I would have had a serious boob boosting bra sewn into it as I had lost so much weight that I wasn't 'filling' it properly. Apart from that no I would not change anything. But for the 2 months before I got married I was convinced it looked awful as I was being a bit bridezilla and everything had to be 'perfect'.

EverythingInMiniature Mon 25-Jul-11 18:28:56

SkelleyBones Mon 25-Jul-11 18:52:27

I should have have worn underwear, I was told it was fine without a bra but looking back it would have been 100 times better with.

headfairy Mon 25-Jul-11 19:00:41

I wish I'd had a dress with sleeves. Even just little cap sleeves. I don't really have a clue what suits me, my mother not being the motherly "lets go shopping for wedding dresses" type didn't have much input. My bridesmaids were pretty useless too (to be fair to one, she lived in Manchester at the time, was too far to travel) so I went shopping on my own. I did go on one shopping trip with my mum, and I tried on the most amazing beautiful dress, but it was £3,500 and I got an attack of the guilts and couldn't buy it, even though my mum offered to pay. I ended up buying a poor copy that was less than half the price and I think, looking back, didn't suit me. But hey ho... I wasn't bothered at the time.

I wish I'd made someone come with me to the hair dressers though. Again I didn't have a clue and got bullied in to a shit hairstyle by my mum's hairdresser, that was utterly inpractical. It was held together with about 10,000 hair pins and when I took my veil out, it looked so dreadful I had to go upstairs and wash my hair - in the middle of my wedding!

Oh and I didn't do any bloody pre wedding pampering. No lovely facials and manicures. I should have put my foot down but I was too busy organising.

Fan bloody tastic party though! grin

That's what I can do... parties grin

basingstoke Mon 25-Jul-11 19:02:01

God no. I wouldn't wear it now, because I'm a lot fatter older and my tastes have changed along with that, but I adored it then and I adore it now. And my mum made it, which means there were no compromises needed. I got exactly what I wanted, and my final fitting was the morning I got married grin

defineme Mon 25-Jul-11 19:08:09

I had mine made from a drawing I did. I had to-I'm very tall and very pear shaped-they don't make dresses for people my shape or height!
I still love it, but I would have worn better underwear-spanx would have been ideal. More importantly i'd have had my make up done-I don't wear much and I just put a bit on. It was very hot and I look washed out/sweaty in some photos!
I'm really pleased I paid attention to dh when he said lots of women with nice hair make it look shit on their wedding day-I just had mine as normal and it looked nice as normal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now