Talk

Advanced search

Is this ok for a wedding??

(17 Posts)
minxofmancunia Sun 24-Jul-11 22:17:18

It has been nothing short of an ordeal trying to get clothes for friends wedding in a weeks time. She said no white I had however prior to this directive bought a brilliant back and white hat.

I have 2 outfit choices...

White cigarette pants with ruched black top from LK Bennett with black stilletoes clutch and hat (sorry no links, lazy)

OR

Black and white colour block 60s shift dress from Oasis black across top then white (bit worried about this) but with lack fishnets, shoes, hat and clutch etc.

Is this acceptable?? It's black and white not just white. DH likes the dress outfit best thinks it's more weddingy, the trousers and top outfit is nice but a bi dull but I'm clutching at straws here!

BulletWithAName Sun 24-Jul-11 22:20:11

I think the second outfit sounds very chic, perfect for a wedding! Not that the first outfit doesn't sound nice either though smile

80sMum Sun 24-Jul-11 22:23:50

Wouldn't wear fishnets to a wedding. Apart from that, outfit 2 sounds good.

minxofmancunia Sun 24-Jul-11 22:24:07

This is the dress

www.oasis-stores.com/Colour-Block-Shift-Dress/Dresses/oasis/fcp-product/4470085300here

minxofmancunia Sun 24-Jul-11 22:24:50

www.oasis-stores.com/Colour-Block-Shift-Dress/Dresses/oasis/fcp-product/4470085300

minxofmancunia Sun 24-Jul-11 22:26:51

80sMum what instead? My legs are hideously pale and blotchy (although long and slim) and cannot be bared to the general public!! Thought black opaques too wintery and can't really think of any other legwear..

mnistooaddictive Sun 24-Jul-11 22:27:05

That dress is nearly all White. If you have been told no White then that will probably upset the bride!

BulletWithAName Sun 24-Jul-11 22:27:34

Ahhh, if it were knee length I'd say wear the fishnets, but as it's above the knee I'd leave them off.

Casmama Sun 24-Jul-11 22:28:47

I think the dress is lovely and it really depends on your reaction to your friends directive. If you think it is bloody rude of her to dictate what colours you cannot wear and if she was so concerned then it should have been clear from the beginning then go with it. If on the other hand you are kinded than me and want to avoid upsetting your friend then I would check with her before wearing either of the outfits esp the dress as it is mostly white.

minxofmancunia Sun 24-Jul-11 22:34:06

I will text her....am inclined to agree with you casamama this kind of bridezilla shit pisses me off. But I don't want to upset her. At least I'm not one of her 7 bridesmaids, my fiend is one and she's been nearly in tears because she hates the dress so much. She's really self conscious about her back and shoulders and the dress is....yes you've guessed it, strapless!

minxofmancunia Mon 25-Jul-11 10:29:07

She text back to say fine to dress, phew!

I think because it's short and black and white with black accessories she doesn't mind.

I think she appreciated me checking, I'm in the clear!

meltedchocolate Mon 25-Jul-11 11:18:21

No white to a wedding is pretty standard sorry. That dress is nearly all white. She is hardly likely to tell you if she is actually upset by it. I think you should be decent and not wear it.

BelleEnd Mon 25-Jul-11 11:22:59

I think the NO White To Wedding is a stupid rule. And that is a nice dress (envy at long slim legs...)

But...

Personally, I'd be too self concious to wear white... It will attract the sneers of any traditionalists who like the Only Bride Wears White rule.

polyhymnia Mon 25-Jul-11 11:23:19

I think it would be OK if accessories very definitely non-white - eg mostly/ all black. Doesn't look at all bridal ...

meltedchocolate Mon 25-Jul-11 11:25:15

(agree it is a pretty dress)

minxofmancunia Mon 25-Jul-11 12:00:43

Is it pretty standard meltedchocolate? i've been to loads of weddings and there have always been a few women wearing totally non bridal white/cream/ oyster outfits.

I made sure what i chose wasn't chiffony, floaty, full skirted, strapless, long, ethereal etc.etc. All the black dresses I looked at just didn't seem right, not summery enough and with the hat a bit funereal.

She's said ok anyway, trust me she's not the sort to be delicate...blunt could be her middle name. Part of me does react rather childishly tbh about being told what to wear....it's not a ball or a state occasion ffs.

minxofmancunia Mon 25-Jul-11 12:02:10

Now...has anyone got any links to any decent black clutch bags?? grin

Cheap please...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now