Talk

Advanced search

Bare Escentuals Mineral makeup

(65 Posts)
fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 19:47:05

Does anyone use this? My friend swears by it but just wanted to see the general consensus before I order the starter kit.

twinklypearls Sat 23-Jul-11 20:08:29

I use it and really rate it. My skin has improved no end as a result.

tethersend Sat 23-Jul-11 20:10:38

Yes, love it.

PonceyMcPonce Sat 23-Jul-11 20:10:49

I think it is great but rather drying. I know it is not supposed to be, it might be my excema

gettingolderbytheday Sat 23-Jul-11 20:12:45

I love it, it evens out skin tone and looks natural. The bisque is quite good at concealing marks etc. I don't reckon much to the eye shadows and liner though.

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 20:15:01

Is the starter kit worth purchasing (hard for me to get to shops with kids off)...?

twinklypearls Sat 23-Jul-11 20:17:17

I bought the starter kit and think it is a great start. I find the bisque concealer is too dark and I use my benefit cover up paste.

gregssausageroll Sat 23-Jul-11 20:17:21

Recent convert. Love it. Start with the starter kit which you can pick up from most department stores and stock up with QVC if you continue to like as you can return product to them if you change your mind.

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 20:19:14

I have quite fair skin which tans - would I be better with light or medium? Anyone know best place to buy it online? smile

gregssausageroll Sat 23-Jul-11 20:20:51

Debenhams have the starter kit as I saw it today. I am fair skinned so use light and fairly light. I also do tan on holiday.

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 20:24:30

gregs will you have a gander on my photos - there's one of me further down and see if you are similar colouring to me. I'm going to order some tonight. Thanks!

I'd deffo give the starter kit a try. I bought the tiny one in Debenhams for about 13 pounds and it has lasted for quite a while. Will buy the bigger one soon. I find it comes up a bit dark, so if you're fair I'd go for the lightest. I got the lightest they do and even so, it's a bit dark for me until the Veil goes on top of it.

skyebluepink Sat 23-Jul-11 20:36:29

I really rate mineral makeup. From a MUA's point of view helping people get a good coverage it's great. And so much quicker than traditional foundation and powder. And you don't need separate concealer.
Some people deride mineral makeup but I think it must be because they don't know how to apply it.

Rosa Sat 23-Jul-11 20:37:21

I love it but where in the high street can you buy the individual pots ? They don't sell it at airports either .

gregssausageroll Sat 23-Jul-11 20:40:41

Rosa John Lewis usually have a big counter.

Fanny, I'd say fairly light to medium for you but that is 2 different starter kits! Have a look at the videos on you tube and QVC and see if those help.

Your daughters are gorgeous BTW.

Rosa Sat 23-Jul-11 20:42:38

Thanks pity JL don't extend to the west country.... might have a look on line as I know what I am after !

snailsontour Sat 23-Jul-11 20:42:57

I'm not as fair as you, but I use light and can also use fairly light too - my skin tone is yellow based. Whilst I also tan well, I don't like medium (pinky based), nor do I like medium beige which is supposedly their best selling shade as it makes me look tangoed!

Much better to get the right shade of foundation and then add colour with bronzer and blusher.

Qvc is reasonable - plus you can try and if keen you can return for refund.

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 20:43:10

gregs thank you - they are a bit bigger now - could do with uploading some newer photos. I have put a more recent one of me on when I am not tanned at all. See if you still think light to medium... (sorry don't want to make an expensive mistake!)

gregssausageroll Sat 23-Jul-11 20:47:22

From that I'd say the light/fairly light kit but to be sure I'd probably order them from QVC. At least if it is completely wrong you can return the wrong one.

dearprudence Sat 23-Jul-11 20:57:02

I would get the light kit - you get something called 'warmth' in it (like a blusher/contour) and I've used this to slightly darken the fairly light.

Fairly light is the lightest shade. Light is next. Confusing, I know. I like my make up and I LOVE this, having found it a year ago. I love the fact you can do a quick application if you're nipping out to the school, or use it for a full night-out make up.

I notice you're in Chester - they sell it in Debenhams and there's a really nice lady who works there who can advise on colours. I would definitely go for the starter pack first, as you get a full set of brushes.

(You are gorgeous, btw and your girls are adorable)

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 21:02:29

DearPrudence - Thank you, you have made me blush. However sat in front of computer, no make up, glasses on, headband in and manky t-shirt on - you would change your mind wink I may hang off as I have some Lancome foundation that I need to use and go to Debenhams in Chester, I had no idea they sold it there - thought I would have to go to John Lewis in Liverpool or Trafford Centre. Thanks for letting me know!

liftthatup Sun 24-Jul-11 07:11:17

I recently bought the original foundation in medium from QVC and was really impressed. Have since gone on to get the mineral veil and a lipgloss from active beauty. I think my make up routine will be much more frequently put into action now as I love the products so much grin

clucky80 Sun 24-Jul-11 08:05:06

I really liked it and I also am fairly pale but do tan. I would normally go for more medium colours in foundation but I was advised to get the light in the BE and it was fine. When I went on holiday I bought a medium beige colour and that was good. It is quite expensive but if you happen to know anyone going to the States it's much cheaper there (same price in dollars as in pounds over here). Like Lifthat I have also used one of their lipglosses and really liked it, much preferred to juicy tubes. The only complaint I would have about the mineral make up is the mess, I would get it everywhere but it helped if I did it over the sink as could just wipe that clean when I was done. I don't know if you live near a Champneys town centre shop but I think most of them have an advisor in there and I have also got it in Debenhams and Fenwicks.

knitknack Sun 24-Jul-11 08:23:46

If you don't mind waiting 5 days or so, you can get 5 free sample pots from everyday minerals (an american company)! You do have to pay postage but as I recall it was only about £4... this is the brand that I use - it's fantastic with a huge range of colours, and they're brushes are really good value too.

I still use traditional makeup too, (I switch around all the time!) but I use their brushes for everything!

I think it took me two goes before I really found my colour, but the samples are still good for summer/winter adjustments and concealing...

everydayminerals

knitknack Sun 24-Jul-11 08:24:16

THEIR brushes! it's too early...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now