Talk

Advanced search

Talk sense to me. I want a tattoo. A little white seahorse.

(35 Posts)
merlincat Sat 23-Jul-11 17:54:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ggirl Sat 23-Jul-11 17:56:25

terrible
every tom dick an' harry has one

PersonalClown Sat 23-Jul-11 17:57:02

White is a hard colour to get on skin. Its more used as highlights.

I'm inked down my back so I'm definitely in the 'Your body, your choice' camp.

auroraday Sat 23-Jul-11 19:33:47

ooooh no. not good. Then again I think they are pretty yuck at any age. A mistake you make in your 20s and trying to get rid of by your 40s. But it's personal choice isn't it...

redfoxy Sat 23-Jul-11 19:46:36

Yep, your body your choice, I think you're old enough to decide!! white needs a good skin tone to carry it off, might be tricky... but otherwise I'd say go for it. I've got tattoos that I got in my 20s, and I'm now 40 and still love them as much as when I got them, probably a little more!!

MinnieBar Sat 23-Jul-11 19:48:36

Sounds a little girly. Since you're asking for opinions...

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 19:50:34

Bad idea. I had a "cherub" (in normal ink not white) done at 17 on my lower stomach. I hate it with a vengeance and look forward to the day when I can spare the cash to have it lasered the fuck off! However its your body.

My MIL has a heart on her shoulder with arrow through and the name Derek on. You can't get much worse than that... grin hmm She was similar age to you when she had it done as well - plus the "Derek" is a married man. Another story altogether but it does make me larfffff!!!!

moonferret Sat 23-Jul-11 19:52:04

Tattoos are awful on anyone, on women they are even more hideous.

HouseOfBamboo Sat 23-Jul-11 19:52:28

Try applying one with a stencil and tippex every day for a week. If you're fed up with it by the end of the week then put it in the 'terrible idea' bin wink

pollyteapot Sat 23-Jul-11 20:01:00

Don't! I have 3 and loathe and detest each and every one of them. I got them when i was 20, now nearly 40 and I get more embarrased by them every year. Even more so when I go the hospital for check ups and the doc presses my tummy - god knows what he thinks of this middle ages woman with a celtic band roudn her belly button.

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 20:06:22

Polly believe you me, your Dr has seen a hell of a lot worse than your tattoo!

brookeslay Sat 23-Jul-11 20:15:24

Get it done on your bottom cheek then you can cover it up. I knew quite a staid person had a devil on their bum which made me laugh.

merlincat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:05:45

fannybanjo Sat 23-Jul-11 21:06:51

How about an anchor in blue ink on your upper arm? grin I could draw that on you in blue biro for a quid.

merlincat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:10:47

TheBolter Sat 23-Jul-11 21:14:19

Don't grin. I nearly had a tat done when I was 19 and I am soooooo pleased I didn't.I would have really regretted it.

But then I'm not a fan of tattoos. If however you really like them, as you clearly seem to, then don't let age stop you!

PonceyMcPonce Sat 23-Jul-11 21:34:13

I don't think White tatts are perfected yet? Lots of ink movement and undefined edges.
Would the gay symbolism bother you?

merlincat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:36:04

TheOriginalBanshee Sat 23-Jul-11 21:37:21

OP as it's your first one and you only want a teeny tiny seahorse, why not?!? My advice would be to choose the location of the tatoo really carefully and only go to an artist who is recommended and you can see samples of their own work.

Sidetracking slightly, but can anyone explain what the fascination with big koi carp tatoos is? I really don't get it. I have seen more and more of them recently and they have all been really big, colourful and hard to miss. Don't get me wrong, the tatoos themselves are gorgeous to look at because it's obvious who ever did them was very talented. I just don't understand the fish theme?!?

MrsPlesWearsAFez Sat 23-Jul-11 21:38:57

White wouldn't work.

auroraday Sat 23-Jul-11 22:15:09

vulgar is very much a point of view. Some will say yes; some no. It isn't part of my view of reaching the prime of your life gracefully and with elegance, let's put it that way...

DirtyMartini Sat 23-Jul-11 22:16:38

confused re gay symbolism

BalloonSlayer Sat 23-Jul-11 22:21:26

"Is it just really vulgar for a woman of my age?"

Words 3,4 and 5 are the only relevant ones.

Becaroooo Sat 23-Jul-11 22:22:59

Vulgar at any age IMO

I seem to have seen lots of bridal photos lately with the bride in a low cut white basque type dress and all her tatoos on show

<<boak>

PonceyMcPonce Sat 23-Jul-11 22:26:30

Don't hmmm!

Seahorses are the symbol of the island of lesbos/lesvos and have been associated with lesbians.

Also with strength because of their exoskeleton.

I just think if you are going to put a symbol on your skin in a permanent way, then it is wide to know all the associations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now