Talk

Advanced search

what would you say is key to looking "polished"?

(55 Posts)
lollipoppet Sat 23-Jul-11 11:20:30

And can it be done when you don't have buckets of time and money?
And do you have to wear heels??

DooinMeCleanin Sat 23-Jul-11 11:21:07

Nice hair, which means I fail grin

I agree that hair is key - but mine is crap.

Blusher.

smugmumofboys Sat 23-Jul-11 11:27:46

I once overheard someone say that she aimed for good hair and nice shoes and hoped noone would notice what was going on in between.

Seems eminently sensible to me.

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 23-Jul-11 11:28:56

Blow dried hair. Decent underwear and manicure and pedicure. I don't have time for this on a regular basis these days but it makes an enormous difference.

dycey Sat 23-Jul-11 11:51:24

Def hair and nails - maybe some quiet but v classy jewellery.

bellavita Sat 23-Jul-11 11:54:58

Ironed clothes, nice hair, nails and a bit of makeup.

Sometimes I wear heels and sometimes flats. I think if you fee, good about yourself, it doesn't matter if you don't wear heels all the time.

bellavita Sat 23-Jul-11 11:55:50

Feel good

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 23-Jul-11 11:57:24

What Bella said and being clean too so no greasy hair shoved in a pony tail.

Oh and no shoes in need of polishing /re-heeling

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 23-Jul-11 12:26:02

Styled hair (meaning blow-dried after washing but not necessarily every day), nice skin, bit of make up, ironed and flattering clothes, different shoes depending on outfit.
I agree with shoes needing to look looked-after but am rubbish at this.

AnnThology Sat 23-Jul-11 15:03:50

good skin and shiny hair and not the terrible english affliction of shit hair colour

thestringcheeseincident Sat 23-Jul-11 15:06:19

Shiny clean hair.
Good skin and manicured nails.
Clean clothes.

MissBeehiving Sat 23-Jul-11 15:38:16

Healthy hair
Decent skin and makeup but not shovelled on with a trowel
Well fitting clean ironed clothes
Clean nails
Decent teeth
Clean shoes

BelleDameSansMerci Sat 23-Jul-11 15:48:31

Bloody hard work!

All the above as a minimum. If you really want polished, I think you poise, grace and elegance too.

Balconygarden Sat 23-Jul-11 16:17:38

Shower, clean hair and nails.
Mascara,
lip tint/gloss,
little silver earings,
wedding/engagement/ or other nice ring,
Clean clothes.

Pootles2010 Sat 23-Jul-11 16:20:38

Just sticking pair of nice stud earrings makes big difference, especially if sticking hair in ponytail.

otchayaniye Sat 23-Jul-11 16:48:58

Good hair, good shoes. The rest can fall into place easily with a bit of style nous.

You don't have to have mani/pedis or wear heels or lots of makeup to be polished.

A standout watch or item of jewellery or other accessory can help.

polyhymnia Sat 23-Jul-11 17:38:58

Heels definitely not essential so long as shoes look good and complement outfit (not necessarily in a boring, mathcy-matchy way).

Don't personally think stud ear-rings essential either - in fact, studs plus pony-tail could look very un-classy.

'Standout' accessory good as long as it stands out for its quality and 'interest' factor not because it's flashy/ ostentatious.

Often less is more. Didn't some great - probably French - style expert say that you should always look at yourself in the mirror before going out, and then take one accessory off? Not that I personally have the inclination/time for such self-examination before rushing to the supermarket...

ameliagrey Sat 23-Jul-11 17:41:15

Subtle make up daily and always lippie/gloss !

Finger nails filed and painted a nude/clear shade. Feet done too .
Do this once week. Takes 30 minutes.

Hair never allowed to get too dirty .

Clothes clean and appropriate for purpose.
Get rid of the ubiquitous fleece unless you are gardening or on a country walk.

otchayaniye Sat 23-Jul-11 17:44:21

Totally disagree. You can look very polished without makeup and nails done. Not that I do, but you can. It helps to be 19 and working in fashion, however..

ameliagrey Sat 23-Jul-11 17:48:52

Are you 19?

Wait till you are 55 and look like death warmed up without a bit of foundation, mascara and blusher.

psiloveyou Sat 23-Jul-11 18:26:21

I'm not sure. Reading the above I should look polished every day. I wash and blow dry my (very expensively coloured) hair each morning. Always wear a little make up and nice clothes.
I don't feel polished though. I think self confidence is the key and feeling good about yourself.
Sometimes I see mums who have thrown on a pair of jeans, t shirt and flatties. They might not be wearing make up (although I agree they do always have nice hair). Something about them screams confidence and class. I aspire to be that mum but never quite feel I've made it.

dexter73 Sat 23-Jul-11 18:51:13

I have never felt 'polished' in my life and I think this might be down to the fact that I have mad curly hair. I think you need to be smooth and sleek to look polished.

kyacat Sat 23-Jul-11 20:28:33

Hair done, natural/subtle make-up applied well, ironed well-fitting clothes, and clean shoes.

Gillybobs Sat 23-Jul-11 20:38:49

Agree with hair done/maek up and nails etc but there is something about wearing a smart jacket and good shoes that always makes me feel "together"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now