Talk

Advanced search

Has Boden lost the plot?????

(40 Posts)
HopeItHelps Fri 22-Jul-11 21:10:51

What's with their prices??? I'm not going to slag off their stuff, I mean, I don't buy a lot from them, certainly very little for myself. But I do think they make some fantastic great quality basics for kids. I find that if I really wanted to look my age (41) which I usually don't, all I have to do is put on a Boden dress... but I digress... What's with the prices of the Autum collection?? Are they for real???

Rubiesandrainbows Fri 22-Jul-11 21:17:56

I agree regarding "wearing a boden dress instantly adds 10 years to my age" and also - have not been on the site for ages - and the prices do seem mightly high!

LynetteScavo Fri 22-Jul-11 21:21:57

Their prices have been silly for a while.

And the quality is not what it was.

H&M can do the same quality for 10 % of the price.

Johnny, our affair is over.

I may be back for a quicky in the form of a winter coat for DS, but that's probably all you are good for now. Even your ballet pumps are crap.

DandyGilver Fri 22-Jul-11 21:26:05

They seem very high especially for the dresses. £100+ for a jersey dress? That is madness.

DandyGilver Fri 22-Jul-11 21:26:39

And the patterns are beyond parody.

HopeItHelps Fri 22-Jul-11 22:23:26

The patterns are ghastly and curtain-like (ugly curtain at that) and the shapes frumpy. They don't seem to make dresses for curvy women. The quality has gone downhill.

noddyholder Fri 22-Jul-11 22:25:24

It is peruna for yummy mummies Hideous over priced and instantly recognisable I think the quality is dreadful too A friend loves it and bought a load as she is pregnant and it all looks really cheap which it wasn't!

ameliagrey Fri 22-Jul-11 22:32:18

no one in their right mind pays full price- I wait to get at least 20% off.

Some of the prints are horrible yes, but if you dig around there are 1 or 2 nice items each season which are not obviously Boden.

Price wise, they compare with Jigsaw ( cheaper than). kew, LK Bennett, Hobbs etc etc.

HopeItHelps Fri 22-Jul-11 22:43:49

Sure, bit I think that right now, even with the discounts it is still very overpriced. They used to do classy understated good quality staples. Now, after a lot of digging around, sure you can find one or two of those, but mostly it is lots of garish unwereable prints and colours, and the shapes are unflattering and ageing.

FrancesFarmer Sat 23-Jul-11 00:56:29

I could never forget that interview Jonny did with the Sunday Times Style magazine where he admitted he was designing for mothers who feared looking sexy. Shudder at his patronizing attitude!

AitchTwoOh Sat 23-Jul-11 01:02:35

i've never liked it, can't think that i've bought a single thing from them for me. kids' stuff in the sale, maybe, but it's not for grown up women.

magicmelons Sat 23-Jul-11 10:02:49

The women's clothes are ridiculous and very dowdy. I'm 32 and i wouldn't dare put on any of his patterned ensembles. I've been buying the johnny b skinny jeans though and they're a bargain and they still fit me at nearly 6 months pregnant. His knitwear looks ok but for that price you can get much better quality elsewhere. Kids stuff is nice though.

Bandwithering Sat 23-Jul-11 10:05:14

If you're only 41 then you're too young for boden imo. wait til you're 51. or 55 even.

Chandon Sat 23-Jul-11 10:35:40

I remember that too Frances!

And I always look at Boden as I feel at 40 I'm the right demographic, but I cannot simply cannot buy anything! (same with whiteStuff)

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 23-Jul-11 10:52:43

I agree re the prices, they do seem to have gone up an awful lot this season. But I think prices everywhere have gone up with the cost of raw materials.

I'm 33 and have been wearing Boden for about 9 or 10 years, so since I was in my early 20s. I avoid the really OTT prints, but I like the fit of most things. I really like it for kids too.

AnnThology Sat 23-Jul-11 11:07:21

every season we get the " boden is losing it" thread
every year

noddyholder Sat 23-Jul-11 11:12:45

grin they never 'had' it!
They are kept alive by the fear of being an individual

Bandwithering Sat 23-Jul-11 12:30:35

mothers who fear lookign sexy!!!! omg.

noddyholder Sat 23-Jul-11 13:00:01

I know he is a horror Camerions fave designer no less! His whole ethos is cringey and the way he dresses himself!shock he shouldn't be dressing others!

ChuckYouFarlie Sat 23-Jul-11 13:12:59

"mothers who feared looking sexy"

<<shudders>>

<<throws sole item of Boden clothing - a pair of cropped chinos that frankly never fitted properly at the waist - onto bonfire>>

maxybrown Sat 23-Jul-11 13:22:20

I only buy for DS but haven't bought anything this time Will prob get couple pairs of trousers as they do fit him the best, went to look at coats for him but the puff jacket style is £50 this time shock Gap coats are cheaper AND down filled. In fact Gap are seeming relatively cheap nowadays - agree about H&M, love their kids clothes, quality is fab - def as good as Boden mostly

Chandon Sat 23-Jul-11 13:40:22

big fan of H&M kids colthes too.

I always get asked if they are wearing Joules, but it is H&M!

maxybrown Sat 23-Jul-11 13:45:14

Has anyone got any codes fo H&M want to order DS some tops but trying to find free delivery or something! <<tight>>

happywheezer Sat 23-Jul-11 14:10:36

He said something along the lines that" Mothers lose it", which I presume he meant being sexy or stylish, I took afront!
But I still love some of their new winter stuff.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 23-Jul-11 14:21:49

I like their jersey dresses. I have enormous norks so the v neck dresses look very sexy on me.

They don't add ten years to my age, people usually think I look younger than my age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now