Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How would you describe your "look"...?

(19 Posts)
fannybanjo Fri 22-Jul-11 19:28:45

I'm so fed up of wearing the same "uniform" but if it ain't broke, don't fix it -right? I am a skinny jeans, nice shoes, slim fitting top kinda girl but I would love to mix it up. I have been the same since a teenager! Long hair, simple make up - not really got into trends but tried to look stylish ifkwim.

Have you worn the same "uniform" for years?

meltedchocolate Fri 22-Jul-11 19:36:24

nope but I only recently have discovered being feminine. I would say that is my main look now too. Except my shoes are mainly ankle boots (skinny calves that look like tiny pencils in most knee boots <sob>) and I nearly always am in a fitted double button breasted coat because of the freezing weather where I live.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Fri 22-Jul-11 21:28:52

"Scruffy gym gear"

grin

Rubiesandrainbows Fri 22-Jul-11 21:39:16

I did the floral dress and chunky boots thing to death last year and now cant even look at a floral dress (unless its a short chiffon kind of thing)

Lately I'm uniformly in self-made denim shorts turned up so they are really short (I have 5 pairs) worn over leggings, with a slubby t shirt or silk camisole top, and a long line fitted blazer with vintage button.

For winter, I'm liking the buttoned fitted double breasted long jacket look, with a short chiffon dress that you can just see under the coat, tights, shoeboots. There was an picture in W magazine and I fell in love with it....

mycatsaysach Fri 22-Jul-11 21:40:17

vest tops cardies skirts flip flops

fannybanjo Fri 22-Jul-11 21:50:10

Mine is also "running gear" - I'm sure all the mums from school think I have black Lycra permanently stitched to my body. blush

cluelessnchaos Fri 22-Jul-11 21:53:39

Quirky vintage, I always aspired to the art student bohemian style when I was younger but didn't have the nerve. Now I wear big glasses shaggy hair and trendy mixed with vintage.

tulpe Fri 22-Jul-11 22:46:27

I am not certain I have a signature look as I dress very much according to mood. I veer between classic (hepburn-esque trousers Kathrine or Audrey, season dependant, twinset or blouse but with a twist), the ubiquitous Top Shop skinnies and tee (accessorised with chunky knits and scarves aplenty) and original 50s dresses and shrunken cardis. I also love the tux jacket over LBD with shoe boots and opaques for winter evenings out.

RedAmberGreen Fri 22-Jul-11 22:53:20

Bag lady chic blush

BulletWithAName Fri 22-Jul-11 23:42:07

Feminine and sexy with a rocky edge.

ShowOfHands Fri 22-Jul-11 23:42:57

Clothed at least.

madhattershouse Fri 22-Jul-11 23:45:09

Anything pretty much goes with my "look".

So long as it's black! grin
Worn almost exclusive black uniform since I was 14..umm 24 years and still going grin

Deuce Fri 22-Jul-11 23:47:14

I am in need of help. I am <coughs> 43 and seem to be getting lighter, but not in mass, in colour.

My arse is growing hmm but my hair / brows are lightening.

Soon I will be invisible.

I need colour.

ComradeJing Sat 23-Jul-11 06:26:28

My uniform pre DC was always skinny jeans tucked into knee length boots, a well fitted shirt, v-neck jumper and scarf. Jeans changed for skirt and tights sometimes.

<<pins on "I was institutionalised by boarding school" badge.>>

Summer has always buggered me. I can never find the right shoes and dresses are either too casual or too smart.

ameliagrey Sat 23-Jul-11 09:56:06

Preppy- whatever that is!

Skinny jeans or cords with nice knitwear- cropped cardis, long cardis, Ts and tank tops, or smartish trousers as above. Occasional just above knee skirt and riding boots or ballet flats. Occasionally leggings and long tunic/dress- but never White Stuff! But I am mid 50s.

Gay40 Sat 23-Jul-11 10:08:49

Fat Skater/Surfer Boy, depending on the weather. Not helped by having an ipod or a Nintendo DSi on my person.
I have very girly hair though and I'm not butch, which throws people. And at work I dress in corporatewear so they don't recognise me when they see me outside of work.

AnyFucker Sat 23-Jul-11 10:19:03

in summer ?

yes, I have a "signature" look

turned up boyfriend jeans/khakis or knee-length shorts, cardi's, loose t-shirt, slubby linen blazer, brogues, birkies or flipflops and nearly always a scarf flung round me

winter ? dunno yet, will see what comes around this year, am bored of the skinny jeans/boots look

Chandon Sat 23-Jul-11 10:32:37

Mine is "feminine" I've been told.

As I'm 6 ft and athletic, I try to compensate

My favourite style is a pretty dress with tough-ass boots, for balance grin.

Also very comfy and easy to get ready. I wear dresses a lot, winter or summer.

BulletWithAName Sat 23-Jul-11 10:35:51

My favourite style is a pretty dress with tough-ass boots, for balance

This is a fave of mine too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: