Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a home hair colouring kit on highlighted hair?

(15 Posts)
OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 22-Jul-11 13:40:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrickyBiscuits Fri 22-Jul-11 13:46:59

You can use home kits on highlighted hair, but it really depends on how healthy your hair is, and obviously, the streaks in your hair will still show up but just take a different colour. Personally, I wouldn't, going darker through professional lowlights gives a much better effect IMO.

TattyDevine Fri 22-Jul-11 14:12:35

You have to be careful as some ashy browns will come up greenish on bleached hair, and a very warm shade could go orange (though this is more likely with a mahoganyish colour or chestnut brown than the one you have).

In an ideal world you would cover over what you have with quite a neutral very light brown (practically a dark blonde) - a good one for this is Loreal Recital Preference Rimini Lighest brown. This will bring you to a dull khaki brown (but very light and lacking depth) and then you can colour over that with the Clairol Lightest brown. It will give a better result because it will "fill in" the highlights (the bleach ones have had most their colour removed so you need to layer colour back on) and then the Golden Brown will be your "proper" colour on top.

I did something very similar recently - I was highlighted, I "filled in" with Rimini, then did Clairol Medium Golden Brown. There is a picture on my profile of the finished result.

OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 22-Jul-11 15:28:39

TattyDevine Fri 22-Jul-11 15:55:26

Have you seen my profile pic though?

I have 2 more words for you - strand and test. Strand test! Always do a strand test and you shouldn't have a really bad disaster.

By all means though come down to brown at the hairdresser if you are not sure before doing it yourself. Get her to dye you down to a light golden brown all over and then do your roots with the Clairol (and hope they match - they should do if she follows your instructions)

mummy777 Fri 22-Jul-11 20:00:32

Just been reading through the messages and I've got a similar question about my hair. Been dying it with John Frieda foam 6N light brown for about a year. I had a half head of bleach highlights this week and it's too light for me.

If I put Rimini on then the Nice n Easy Lightest brown and lastly the lightest golden brown, how gold will it look? I used to go for ashy shades cause I wanted to avoid ginger/orangey tones so should I stop at the lightest brown and not bother with the golden brown or do you need to do a third colour. Last thing...!!... can I just do all that one after the other on the same day?

So appreciate your help! Thanks!

TattyDevine Fri 22-Jul-11 20:32:22

You can do all after the other on the same day. Its what a hairdresser would do if you had it done there, albeit their stuff can be slightly harsher (depending what they use and what brand you use)

Don't use golden brown if you avoid warm shades. It will be too warm, you won't like it, it might look reddish or wrong to you. You could try a "natural" or even an ash.

I'm not sure whether I would recommend Rimini for you or not. When I did it over my highlighted hair (I'd had a full head followed by a half head about 6 weeks later so I may have been blonder than you) it went very dull very light brown (only just brown - almost more of a "dirty blonde" with no real warm tones, so that's why I say "khaki brown" - it was a very dull muddy colour albeit lacking depth of tone. Its a great base colour. It sounds horrible but actually I was using it to lighten my roots to the same level of my highlights and my natural colour was throwing out enough gold for it to look lovely - but on bleached hair, its not warm enough, its a very neutral if not ashy shade. Perhaps it would be okay for you.

To be honest, you might simply get away with covering over your highlights with your normal John Freida foam. I suggest you get the lightest little lock of hair (small, about 10 or 15 strands) from the mid layers of your hair (if you had a half head this should be easy enough, somewhere to the side above your ear) and snip it off, secure with a label or sticky tape, paint some dye on, wrap it up in some turkey foil, leave it for the development time, rinse, dry and observe. Put it in strong sunlight if you can in this bloody sunless country (oh vengeful one, why hast though forsaken us?) and see if its gone a bit green or not. You have to be careful, but generally speaking, you can just slap a neutralish naturalish brown over bleach and get away with it, though it will often look better after the 2nd time you do it and you can find it fades a bit quick as bleached hair is quite pourus.

But its not some major scary experiment, you just have to be a little careful with very gold shades and very ash shades or just lots of bleached hair which is very white or light and pourus.

mummy777 Fri 22-Jul-11 20:55:49

Thanks so much for the advice. Really helpful!

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 28-Jul-11 17:00:26

TattyDevine Thu 28-Jul-11 17:37:31

Okay REMEMBER TO STRAND TEST.

Own your own result! grin

Remember I haven't seen you and am not a professional. So don't skip the strand test.

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 28-Jul-11 17:59:05

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 28-Jul-11 23:01:14

PHAB Sun 31-Jul-11 10:24:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 31-Jul-11 11:28:30

PHAB Sun 31-Jul-11 18:20:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now