Talk

Advanced search

Can we talk short haircuts for little girls?

(23 Posts)
doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 12:41:02

DD wants her hair short. She's just had her hair cut into a chin length bob and she hates it, and is adamant she wants it really short.

I had a dreadful bowl cut as a child (well, it was the 70s) and was frequently mistaken for a boy. If she does get a shorter cut I'd like it to be a bit stylish.

Any suggestions? Anyone have a DD with a crop?

Her hair is wavy, thick and quite hard to manage.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 22-Jul-11 12:42:52

I had a crop when I was 9 - I had long blonde hair and went in and asked for it to be cut like a boy. My gran went nuts.

It was a lovely haircut though and I really liked it.

If she wants to have a crop I would go ahead and let her.

MrsSeanBean Fri 22-Jul-11 12:42:56

Sounds problematic to me. I would try to persuade her to wait. Never too early for a lesson of 'the only way to cut hair is shorter which rarely equates with better' (IMHO anyway). Sorry not to be more constructive. HTH.

coccyx Fri 22-Jul-11 12:45:57

my 9 year old has really thick hair she had it cropped. looked fab.

cookielove Fri 22-Jul-11 12:47:49

How old is she?

I only ask because the shorter you go, the more likely that you are going to have to do more to keep it 'looking good'

You could do an all over choppy hair cut like this

Selks Fri 22-Jul-11 12:48:12

If she wants short hair, why not let her have it. It's only hair, it can grow, and it's her hair.
How about a cute pixie cut?

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 12:53:37

Instinctively I agree with you GOML.

I was always wanting to grow my hair and wasn't allowed. And I remember very well that feeling of not being allowed to just be who I wanted.

She is nearly 7 and has, erm, quite strong ideas about things.

It looks like a helmet just now, awful.

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 12:54:39

loads of x-posts

I like the crop in your link cookielove, but her hair is wavy and wouldn't look like that if it was short. I can't actually imagine what it would look like short which is partly why I'm hesitating.

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 12:56:35

Gosh, I am trying to find short girls' haircuts on Google and I'm not getting much goodness

Apparently chin length is short, according to some sites.

SoupDragon Fri 22-Jul-11 12:59:14

Personally, for something this dramatic, I'd take her to a hairdressers, tell them what you want and get them to tell you what would suit her hair type and face shape.

EldritchCleavage Fri 22-Jul-11 12:59:43

If her hair is wavy, would a Norma Shearer look like this work? I had this style once and loved it. Think gamine, Flapper-girl style.

hester Fri 22-Jul-11 13:03:00

It makes me sad that so few little girls have short hair these days. There are two at dd's school (only two!) and they look fabulous. One has a Mia Farrow/Jean Seberg kind of pixie crop with slightly longer feathery bits round the ears. The other has that it cut very short up the back, with a side parting and a long sweeping fringe (what is that style called?)

Undoubtedly it is higher maintenance than longer hair, but how fantastic that she has her own sense of style and isn't just going along with what all the other little girls are doing.

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 13:04:42

Eldritch I love that. She looks amazing.

something like this may also work - graduated bob

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 22-Jul-11 13:06:24

I like this Michelle Williams

I think a crop up the back with a very long assymetric fringe is rather too much a grown up look for a 7 year old, however a very plain crop like the above would be fine on a child I think.

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 13:07:35

yes SoupDragon I think you're right. Her current hairdresser is cheap but crap (hence the helmet) so we will need to change...

hester I so agree with you. I want to show her that it's good to be different if you want to be. I can only think of one girl in DD's year with short hair.

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 13:09:45

A version of that would look lovely on her. And she could still clip back the fringe if she wanted to use her Claire's Accessories hoard.

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 13:14:45

Re maintenance - I don't mind if she has to get it trimmed regularly. Atm we are always having battles around washing, blow drying, nit combing etc, because it is so thick. She brushes it herself with a tangle teaser but she gets fed up and tends to do a dying swan act with a sore arm before all the tugs are out grin

So on balance I'm sure a short cut with a bit of a style to it would be less work. I've had really short hair in my time and although it needed styling I loved not having to spend ages drying it etc.

hester Fri 22-Jul-11 13:32:56

Maybe you can post a picture of the finished result grin

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 13:36:00

<gulp>

Yes! don't know why I'm feeling so cautious, it is only hair and it grows back, as someone wisely said.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 22-Jul-11 13:45:04

doggie it would be wonderful to escape the tyrrany of hair washing and combing.

i would say go for it.

doggiesayswoof Fri 22-Jul-11 14:27:39

Yes it would indeed. Haircut booked for tomorrow am grin

noddyholder Fri 22-Jul-11 14:30:07

I love that sort of elfin crop on little girls it is so pretty. In fact I am surprised more don't have it as it looks nicest on little faces

catswipe Fri 22-Jul-11 20:22:02

My daughter has a pixie crop and she looks lovely. Her eyes really show now and she still wears clips/alice bands when she wants. Her hair is wavy so it looks full of texture short. She wanted it like Emily Watson- so I said go for it. She is the only girl with short hair in her school which is a bit odd as lots more girls had short hair when I was growing up.
She loves the freedom of it and it really suits her so why not? It grows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now