Talk

Advanced search

I need a back to work wardrobe. Smart/casual , cheap & I'm a funny shape!

(18 Posts)
HarrietJones Fri 22-Jul-11 10:00:21

I'll be in 3 days a week so don't need a full weeks worth.but it's likely to need washing every night.

I'm 5ft, size 16ish, 36F ish, breastfeeding so dresses no good. Ideally nice jeans (which are a problem see here), or trousers. I can only wear flat shoes but I have those.
I don't have any much spare money so cheap as possible please!

HarrietJones Sun 24-Jul-11 16:14:08

Any style people around?

HarrietJones Sun 24-Jul-11 19:16:22

I also need a bag too! Needs to fit A5 diary/notebook & usual handbag crap. Needs to be a shoulder bag as I need my hands free

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 17:03:18

Bump

lollipoppet Mon 25-Jul-11 20:22:08

Sorry you've not had any replies yet, I hate it when that happens!
I do not consider myself to be a "style person" but will have a go!
As budget seems to be your primary concern I would recommend having a look at supermarket chic! I used to get pretty much all my work stuff from Tesco (when I had a job, have not suddenly decided to snub Tesco!) You can get decent basic stuff like black trousers and cotton t shirts - look for the longer length ones, I think these are more flattering. Does that help at all? I think it helps to have a 'it's only for work' attitude if you can, otherwise you'll want lovely things that cost lots!
Oh and the bag- a few weeks ago I saw some nice satchel type bags in primark, I think they were a tenner? Anyway obviously not real leather or anything but nice enough and (apparently) "on trend" at the moment!

Iggly Mon 25-Jul-11 20:30:32

What Kind of smart? Suited or smart casual?

Would you wear skirts? A line skirts on the knee? Tops - I'd got for some colourful t shirts from Dorothy Perkins and a couple of necklaces (not two at once!) so you can mix and match.

I picked a nice red leather handbag from a charity shop for £3 which is about the right size for you. Can also squeeze my laptop in. Might be worth having a look.
Do you have a budget?

Milliways Mon 25-Jul-11 20:41:01

M&S have a whole range of black trousers in, all waist sizes, leg lengths & style - I got some decent work trousers for £12 last week!

I also like there tops in this sort of style as easy to look after, and they are quite flattering.

BHS have some bags in the sale at the moment - but Asda/Sainsburys/Tescos always worth a look (I get a lot of work tops from the Asda smarter T-shirt type range.

Milliways Mon 25-Jul-11 20:41:40

Excuse typos/spelling errors! blush

HarrietJones Mon 25-Jul-11 21:18:36

Ooh thanks. Got one top in Asda today but not a lot appealed. I've one pair of cheap black trousers but the rest still don't fit blush

Satchel bag sounds perfect but no primark ,will look around.

I tend to avoid skirts as (potentially) Ido a bit of crawling round on the floor

Lizzabadger Mon 25-Jul-11 22:04:35

Charity shops in posh areas can be excellent for cheap work clothes.

HarrietJones Tue 26-Jul-11 06:47:56

Not really got any posh areas. We are rural ish so travelling to next town is 20+ mins and charity shops tend to be old lady chic. So not really worth the petrol money!

Iggly Tue 26-Jul-11 07:53:17

eBay is an option for handbags.

Also try online stores like asos which has loads of cheap choice and next online (better than the shops). You can send stuff back.

HarrietJones Tue 26-Jul-11 08:41:56

Asos, good idea, had maternity stuff from them.
I've been looking on eBay but it's hard when I'm not sure what I want

PlumSykes Tue 26-Jul-11 09:05:12

Are you sure about dresses? You won't be breastfeeding at work, will you? With big norks and your height, it will be much easier to look smart with a frock than with separates.

HarrietJones Tue 26-Jul-11 09:18:03

I'll be expressing though.

Dresses have the same problem re crawling around the floor though too. I'd like to wear dresses/skirts but I'm not one for sitting still!

DillyTante Tue 26-Jul-11 19:47:41

I've just had the same thing. I went to New Look and got a pair of nice (non plasticky) black trousers in the sale, and some cropped tan trousers. I also got a nice plain grey top, gypsy style I guess, but it is really good for hiding my tummy.

I then went to primark and got a few t shirts, cardis and a nice shoulder bag, and some navy smart (but plasticky!) cheap trousers.

lindtvcabbage Wed 27-Jul-11 07:46:35

I think dresses are the way to go. Team with tights or leggings. Casual/ smart dress with leggings and boots go great
( from someone who spends half day with 3 under 3years on floor/ parks etc)

HarrietJones Wed 27-Jul-11 08:57:13

Not easy to express though. Plus I'd need to buy boots <adds to birthday list>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now