Talk

Advanced search

black "knitted" dress formal enough for black-tie do?

(9 Posts)
fluffles Thu 21-Jul-11 19:15:11

i've got to go to a black tie opening next week - it's not super-formal and already know most women will be in cocktail dresses.

do you think i could get away with a black knitted dress (very thin knitted) if i wear nice shoes, jewelery, posh evening jacket...?

have nothing else, don't want to spend money, and have no time/energy to shop.. (am working on the thing that is opening).

dexter73 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:33:06

Well if that is all you have and you don't want to buy anything else then you are going to have to wear it! Tbh it sounds fine if you have nothing else to wear.

fluffles Thu 21-Jul-11 19:36:54

i could buy something new... but it would have to be cheap... not sure if a decent quality stretchy thin wool dress is better than a cheap 'evening' dress?

i have a feeling that cheap dresses only look good on stick-thin very young women sad envy

dexter73 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:39:12

I would go with the decent knitted dress over buying something cheap. With a posh jacket over the top it will look dressier.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 21-Jul-11 19:40:34

It'll be fine.

Just do good hair and make up.

Have fun!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 21-Jul-11 19:41:26

Bit of glam jewellery could also help if you have any - chandelier earrings or dramatic necklace.

fluffles Sun 24-Jul-11 18:59:47

thanks, have bought some new jewellery and remembered that i have a lovely varanasi silk stole that will glam it up a bit...

phew!

TrillianAstra Sun 24-Jul-11 19:01:11

Don't know what varanasi is, and I opened this thread wanting to say "no, not smart enough", but it sounds as if you'll be able to pull it off.

fluffles Sun 24-Jul-11 19:05:26

varanasi is a place in india.. famous for very fine silk... mine is silver/grey/gold..

apparently a good varanasi sari should fit through your wedding ring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now