Talk

Advanced search

What's a good eyeshadow palette (or should I go for cream eyeshadows now)

(24 Posts)
amigababy Thu 21-Jul-11 18:10:37

I don't wear a lot of makeup, have fair skin, blue eyes and am brunette, I'm 44. Not too worried about price but would like the option of online ordering. I like pretty combination eyeshadows but don't want to get sucked in by the glamour of the product if its not right for me. Could anyone recommend a good mixed palette, or would I be better buying individual shades, and shouls I buy cream eyeshadows, are they easier to use? thanks

ScarletOHaHa Thu 21-Jul-11 18:43:51

I don't wear eyeshadow normally just some of benefit's lemon aid for the day. I love their concealer and smoky eyes mini sets too.

MatLeaveForever Thu 21-Jul-11 18:45:31

I like Clinique palettes, they have 4 colours that blend well together and you should be able to order them from Boots online.

chipstick10 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:31:47

Stila is a fab brand and to my knowledge they are re launching here in britain again. Quite high pigmentation, and lovely colours.

roguepixie Thu 21-Jul-11 19:32:56

I like Bobbi Brown pallettes ... and they do online. grin

The3Bears Thu 21-Jul-11 20:06:56

Urban Decay Naked palette !!!

I never usually wear eyeshadow but find myself wanting to wear something nice and natural and also a smokey eye for nights out, I use the naked palette for all of this can't fault it all the eyeshadows are really pigemented aswell smile

ameliagrey Thu 21-Jul-11 20:25:37

I am coming to the end of my Dior 5 palette in Incognito. I loved it but didn't use the pink shade.

However, it is £40! You can get it at Boots and if you have an advantage card they are doing double points now.

I have also seen very similar colours in a Boots 17 palette- 3 shades- for £4.99!

knitknack Thu 21-Jul-11 20:56:56

Another vote for Bobbi brown. She does do selected palattes, but if you don't mind an initial outlay you can buy one that you can choose your own shades for... she has such a fantastic range of neutrals, plus you can choose something dark for an eyeliner and something to perk it all up for nighttime (tries to remember last time she got done up for 'nighttime').

So I use 'white' as a base (used to use 'bone' but 'white', although scary and, well, white, in the pan is much fresher and makes me look more refreshed), 'taupe' for my eyebrows (it's not taupe at all, it's more of a light/auburn brown that just seems to turn eyebrow coloured on most people), 'mahogany' for an eyeliner and then i have 'bone' as a shimmer wash to sparkle it all up a bit for night (sometimes I mix it with 'white' for day)...

I'm sure you could mix and match some shades for you - it might be easier if you could visit a counter, but I did mine online, to be honest (but then i'm very aware of the neutrals I need (I have weird colouring!))

Good luck

brighthair Thu 21-Jul-11 21:37:47

Urban Decay naked

AmaraDresden Fri 22-Jul-11 23:21:32

Thirding Urban Decay's Naked Palette, once you use their Primer Potion under eyeshadow you will never want to be without it. If your Superdrug stocks it, then do check out the Sleek palettes, they do a lovely one called Storm that is similar to the UD naked but cheaper - shockingly good quality imo. Sleek also do colourful palettes, if you fancy trying out colour but don't want to spend too much.

AmaraDresden Fri 22-Jul-11 23:21:32

Thirding Urban Decay's Naked Palette, once you use their Primer Potion under eyeshadow you will never want to be without it. If your Superdrug stocks it, then do check out the Sleek palettes, they do a lovely one called Storm that is similar to the UD naked but cheaper - shockingly good quality imo. Sleek also do colourful palettes, if you fancy trying out colour but don't want to spend too much.

louby86 Fri 22-Jul-11 23:50:02

I recommend urban decay's naked palette too although I couple of my friends found the majority of the shades too golden for their skin or what look they were used to.

I also recommend mac as you can buy four singles and make your own palette to suit you

AmaraDresden Sat 23-Jul-11 10:35:37

The problem with MAC is that there are quite a few duds, if the OP is planning on ordering online I'd suggest she google for reviews of the shades she interested in. I do like my MAC shadows but it's so much better to get to a counter and swatch so you know which are poorly pigmented or have a slightly dodgy formula.

AmaraDresden Sat 23-Jul-11 10:35:37

The problem with MAC is that there are quite a few duds, if the OP is planning on ordering online I'd suggest she google for reviews of the shades she interested in. I do like my MAC shadows but it's so much better to get to a counter and swatch so you know which are poorly pigmented or have a slightly dodgy formula.

SpottyStripes Sat 23-Jul-11 14:10:58

Anothe vote for Urban Decay Naked - absolutley fab, I use it every day.

MissBeehiving Sat 23-Jul-11 14:16:23

A fifth or sixth vote for the naked palettegrin

TrickyBiscuits Sat 23-Jul-11 14:52:00

Oh definately UD's Naked Palette. By far the best make-up thing I've bought all year.

AnnThology Sat 23-Jul-11 14:54:23

never buy a palette imo
get mac "bone" and then " shale"

AnnThology Sat 23-Jul-11 14:55:20

those two for everyday
for le soir i use BRIGHT colours
blue green lilac

you naked palette thing looks like its Morgue make up

Beautyfm Sat 23-Jul-11 16:59:27

I use what l sell fm cosmetics they are mineral and just right.

ameliagrey Sat 23-Jul-11 17:37:45

Aren't all the colours in the urban palette too similar though? all browny colours?

That's why I never buy palettes with loads of colours as I feel once they are on your eyes you can't really see the difference between some of the sahdes.

ggirl Sat 23-Jul-11 17:54:43

mac's samoa silk is a nice one for day time
slightly apricot/orange which looks nice strangely enough

AmaraDresden Sat 23-Jul-11 19:39:21

I find them very different Amelia, have you swatched it? It's gorgeous in the flesh, although it's mainly warm toned, there's a pink and a pinky burgunday, a couple of awesome colours for a smokey eye.

I do like colours as well, but the Naked palette is perfect for travelling as it has neutrals and smokes. They blend very well together, like butter!

My favourite permanent MAC shades out of my collection are Expensive Pink, Satin Taupe, Retrospeck, Nocturnelle, Charcoal Brown, and Melon pigment.

AmaraDresden Sat 23-Jul-11 19:39:21

I find them very different Amelia, have you swatched it? It's gorgeous in the flesh, although it's mainly warm toned, there's a pink and a pinky burgunday, a couple of awesome colours for a smokey eye.

I do like colours as well, but the Naked palette is perfect for travelling as it has neutrals and smokes. They blend very well together, like butter!

My favourite permanent MAC shades out of my collection are Expensive Pink, Satin Taupe, Retrospeck, Nocturnelle, Charcoal Brown, and Melon pigment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now