Talk

Advanced search

Are all leather bags crap?

(32 Posts)
Chocamochalatte Wed 20-Jul-11 21:56:34

Or just the ones I buy??

I've had one from M&S, all scuffed, with almost a hole at the back of a clasp, one from Miss Selfridge and the popper thing on the front came away from the leather. But the most disappointing is a Betty Barclay bag I've had since May, used most days and now has little rips / scuffs, cracked handle which is about to break any minute and a hole where the edge of the logo has pushed through the leather, I paid £35 for it in TK Maxx but the label said it's rrp was £200!

I thought leather bags were supposed to last a long time... Where am I going wrong???

lawnimp Wed 20-Jul-11 21:57:39

£40 is the cheap end of leather bags unfortunately grin

lawnimp Wed 20-Jul-11 21:58:28

though my topshop one was £50 and still intact

Chocamochalatte Wed 20-Jul-11 22:01:17

But the Betty Barclay one was supposed to be £200! Or is TK Maxx a con?? confused

madammecholet Thu 21-Jul-11 08:48:49

I am surprised the Betty Barclay one has broken, I would call BB head office and complain, it should last longer.

If a leather handbag is under £70 (non sale) it has prob been made in the far east from crap leather....it won't last a lifetime...(or a couple of years)....

canistartagainplease Thu 21-Jul-11 09:03:12

I know you probably dont want to read this, but while you are saving upfor a new bag, go down to the nearest (poshest) charity shop you can find.
I've bought two leather hand/shoulder bags from oxfam and they ar fab. One hasd a little light wear bit the other was clearly never used and has lived in the cupboard. They were both under £3 each.
I dont know what it is about bags, no matter how expensive they are, they are just "accessories"!

canistartagainplease Thu 21-Jul-11 09:04:47

btw, the RRP price on an item doesnt mean anything really.

LuckyMrsT Thu 21-Jul-11 09:27:22

I wouldn't expect much from a miss selfridge version tbh. I bought a £55 tan leather bag from topshop last year in an effort to save money - the one I really wanted was £165 from Karen. It is absolute tat and made of the shoddiest leather I've seen. The stitching is all coming apart and the woven handle is unravelling. I basically wasted £55 on it. My other Karen Millen bags are still immaculate after lots of use funnily enough...

I am surprised at your Betty Barclay and even M&S ones being rubbish. Definitely complain.

Chocamochalatte Fri 22-Jul-11 13:19:48

Thanks for the replies, should I complain to Betty Barclay or to TK Maxx?

Maybe both??

madammecholet Fri 22-Jul-11 15:26:37

Both.....see where you get with either.

I'd try BB first as they are more likely to help..

hiddenhome Fri 22-Jul-11 16:03:42

I bought a totally nondescript leather shoulder bag from TK Maxx about three years ago and it's still going strong grin

tbh I wish it would fall to bits because I don't really like it hmm

hiddenhome Fri 22-Jul-11 16:04:10

Oh, and it cost about £16 grin

HoneyDuke Fri 22-Jul-11 16:08:37

My radley briefcase and bag have lasted well.

NerfHerder Fri 22-Jul-11 16:14:10

I have leather bags by coccinelle, francisco biasia, and radley- the leather is beautiful and really long lasting. And all were from tkmaxx wink

startail Fri 22-Jul-11 16:16:23

My leather John Lewis own brand one (~£65) seems to be doing ok, but it's not 1 yet. Its cheaper £35 predecessor did about 3 years of hard every day use before the zip died, that came from a random stall at a needlework show.
I suspect that, like with clothes, a lot of people are cutting corners at the moment. Companies are trying to maximise profits and some very dodgy raw materials are being used.

Clockface Fri 22-Jul-11 16:20:17

I've had the same M&S leather bag for four years now, using it each day. It's big, so it tends to get filled up wit hbooks / kids' stuff / cans of beans when I nip in to the shop, so it's lasting extremely well. It does look a bit scuffed around the edges though (unsurprisingly) so I'm thinking in the next year I'll get a new, more expensive one. Am looking at the Oushka site following a recommendation on MN yesterday - the bags there look gorgeous!

Chocamochalatte Fri 22-Jul-11 23:04:46

Clockface! I really wish you hadn't led me to Oushka!! They're beautiful.... I want one!

PipCarrier Sat 23-Jul-11 13:55:31

Oushka quality isn't great, my last one only lasted a year of use.

Chocamochalatte Sun 24-Jul-11 18:08:48

Pip, that's not alot of use for that money... hmm, need some more ideas!

Tsil Sun 24-Jul-11 18:14:21

I got sick of high st bags breaking and generally being shite so I bought a mulberry, it is gorgeous and still looks brand new although it's only 3 months old I use it everyday.

I have 2 luella bags as well which have been great and lasted well.

snailsontour Mon 25-Jul-11 19:59:03

For me the beauty of a leather bag is that they improve with age - all mine have - and some go back over decades and still look beautiful.

Are you buying high fashion bags that are designed to be used and disposed?

Chocamochalatte Tue 26-Jul-11 07:25:47

Well, I didnt expect the M&S or Miss Selfridge bags to last forever, but thought they'd stay nice for more than a year... The Betty Barclay, I expected to last for a very long time, yet after 3/4 months it's not in a great condition, really really disappointed...

madammecholet Tue 26-Jul-11 08:49:50

Try peony and Moore bags, I have the lucia (currently, I am a bag addict) and leather is best I've had.....

LucyRaggyDoll Tue 26-Jul-11 09:09:29

I thought I'd just second that my M&S leather bag was rubbish. Cracked and shoddy after less than a year.

But really can't stomach paying out so much for a Mulberry, tbh. And I kind of like a new bag every couple of years anyway.

strictlysauvignon Tue 26-Jul-11 09:49:15

I know i've said this before but I have the P & M Lucia bag too Madame - and I am soooo hard on it and it still looks fab! - - i am going to get it again in a winter colour as the leather just takes the beating and improves!! - many times I have had leather bags that just go tatty - maybe because I expect a lot from them - - but I won't pay Mulberry prices either!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now