Talk

Advanced search

Gel eyeliner brushes - do you wash yours after every use?

(28 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Wed 20-Jul-11 15:33:53

I have just discovered gel eyeliner. I tried a No 7 one years ago, thought it was shite and never bothered with it. Just bought another one and think IT IS THE BEST EVER, better line than liquid eyeliner, felt pens or kohl.

But it's a pain in the arse washing the brush out afterwards, if I don't do that the thing solidifies up and it feels like I am putting on eyeliner with a cocktail stick when I next use it.

Am I doing something wrong? Or shall I try another gel eyeliner (the one I have is maybelline, amazingly soemthing from them which is actually good).

NotADudeExactly Wed 20-Jul-11 15:40:17

I'm a very big user if gel eyeliner (mine are all fluidline by MAC) and always clean my brush after use. It's not so much about stiffness but about my beloved bent liner brush which I would not want to risk. Just put some makeup remover in the palm of your hand, dip your brush in quickly and rinse under the tap.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 20-Jul-11 15:47:29

Oh that's a good idea re make up remover.

TattyDevine Wed 20-Jul-11 15:53:15

I go a step lazier and wipe it off with a baby wipe. If you do it every time from when you first get the brush there is never any stiffness or buildup.

AnnThology Wed 20-Jul-11 15:54:56

i wash it and if in a hurry certainly brush the excess off on the back of my hand before using.
I thought i liked the BB one till a mate got me teh clinique one in greay which is as good as my doublwear pencil in graphite( just finished my second one)

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 20-Jul-11 15:56:55

I do love the doublewear kohl. Best kohl pencil ever. However I am an eye rubber and i smudge it all off by the end of the day, this gel stuff lasts ages.

MooMinCow Wed 20-Jul-11 15:57:56

getorf are you using the brush that came with it? I have it too (god, i think it is fabulous, can do proper 'flicks' now) and just give a good wipe on tissue (until brush makes no more marks) after I finish before sliding the plastic sleeve thingy back on. have had no problem with brush hardening. i haven't washed/cleaned it yet blush

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 20-Jul-11 16:03:09

Yes I am using the brush which it came with.

Platstic thingy to go over the end? I lost that the day I bought it. I can't keep little fiddly things, it's like Sindy shoes all over again grin

MooMinCow Wed 20-Jul-11 16:18:44

haha Sindy shoes grin wish my DC would lose all their fiddly plastic crap things (but that is probably a whole new AIBU thread waiting to happen)

Pin0t Wed 20-Jul-11 16:23:25

Same as Tatty, I wipe my brush on a babywipe each time. Then fold it and give the dressing table or chest of drawers a quick dust <multi-tasker>

I use Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner - utterly addicitive, amazing choice of colours (teh special editions particularly) and has rendered all other felt-liners and kohl pencils unused in my drawer.

AnnThology Wed 20-Jul-11 16:50:35

the clinique one is way better for everyday than BB imo
i always buy BB and mac brushed on ebay
presume theya re nicked

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 20-Jul-11 16:52:18

I can't buy make up on ebay - I would assume someone has poked their smelly finger in it, or it is fake and made of vim.

I will have a look at that clinique one (I can't be doing with bobbi brown counter assistants grin )

ristretto Wed 20-Jul-11 16:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pin0t Wed 20-Jul-11 16:57:24

Ugh yeah definite no to ebay. Fakeage-a-go-go.

Suck it up and get thee to BB, just ignore their clagged-up faces and peruse airily.

cyb Wed 20-Jul-11 16:58:13

I dont wash my brush- wipe it

But I find Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner slides off my lids before lunchtime, even with a primer

Pot too big as well

cyb Wed 20-Jul-11 16:58:39

I buy my Benefit concealer on ebay, cheap as chips and the real mccoy

Pin0t Wed 20-Jul-11 16:58:55

ristretto - I've had my graphite one for over a year <skank> and it's still tiptop. The espresso I get through quicker as I loooove it so.

I am not feeling the BB love on here grin

ristretto Wed 20-Jul-11 17:02:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnThology Wed 20-Jul-11 17:02:17

no i buy the BRUSHES on ebay thickos

Pin0t Wed 20-Jul-11 17:04:59

Ewww rist !!

How many brushes do you need Ann?

AnnThology Wed 20-Jul-11 17:15:41

i have about 4
gel eyeliner
eyeshadow
foundation ( when in that phase) and
a slanty eyeshadwo as eyeliner one

oh and bronzer

TattyDevine Wed 20-Jul-11 19:32:05

Totally agree eBay brushes are almost definitely nicked

And totally bargainous! grin

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 21:03:12

For those who can't be bothered to clean eyeliner brushes but don't mind using a baby wipe, may I recommend Milton Sterilizing wipes? That way you have minimum effort and get rid of nasty bacteria too. You can even keep a pair of scissors handy and just cut off an inch or two of a wipe to clean the brush so that you don't go through a pack of wipes in no time.

Tear ducts carry about as much bacteria as inside your nostrils (all connected via your sinuses) so using dirty eyeliner brushes is not highly recommended! I am guessing none of you would use something that's been up your nose to poke about your eyes would you? wink

Oh and another tip for the gel liner users. Put the pot down upside down on your dressing table in between picking up the product instead of face up. It will dry out less quickly.

NotADudeExactly Wed 20-Jul-11 21:16:02

... And if it does dry out and you are -- cheap-- unable to replace it, mix it with a little glycerine. Tip from my MUA BIL.

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 22:09:15

Ooh, thanks for that. I have one that's a bit dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now