Talk

Advanced search

MAC make over

(20 Posts)
Northumberlandlass Wed 20-Jul-11 08:03:53

I am in desperate need of new foundation (I know there are loads of threads on here about it). Have heard great things about MAC, but have never used any of their products. I am at that point when my skin needs more coverage, I can't use tinted moisturiser anymore I need something to fill the cracks grin

I am thinking about going for a make over at a counter (probably Fenwicks in Newcastle), has anyone had one done ? How much does it cost ? Will I come out looking like a clown ?

TIA

NL

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 09:34:48

Costs about £25 but the cost is redeemable against purchase, so effectively free. Try to book it with someone on the counter who's style you admire or relate to if you're worried they will go overboard. Although, in most cases they are make up artists and just because they look a certain way, they won't make you look like them! If you have the time go and have a chat with them and see who you feel comfortable with.

Northumberlandlass Wed 20-Jul-11 10:32:15

Thanks Havingkittens, will pop up and talk to them smile

TracyK Wed 20-Jul-11 11:26:10

Bobbi Browns is good for make overs too. Free I think (I've never been charged) and once on their mailing lists you get free invites when new stuff comes out. But I always ask for a full new make over - even if they are only launching - say - a mascara.

MayorNaze Wed 20-Jul-11 11:33:38

mac made me look orange angry

bobbi brown good for natural look smile

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 12:16:56

"mac made me look orange"

I've said this before but you all do realise that the artists who work for MAC are not all one person, nor are they robots all manufactured by MAC to perform in exactly the same way don't you?

Sorry you were unlucky with your artist MayorNaze but I know some absolutely shit hot make up artists who work for MAC who make up loads of celebrities, work on catwalk shows for top designers, do shoots for Vogue, Elle, etc. Please don't tar all MUAs with the same brush. We are all individuals and some of us work very hard to be as good as we are! Sadly Estee Lauder do employ a certain percentage of staff who's sales skills are very good but who's make up skills are secondary, because they know they are worth hiring for this reason alone. Bobbi Brown is also owned by EL so you are just as likely to get a duff artist with them too. Some of the artists there are fresh out of make up school and some have been in the business for 10-20 years and just work part time to subsidise the feast and famine type earnings as a freelancer and to get good discounts on products.

Sorry, major bugbear (in case you hadn't noticed wink)!

Northumberlandlass Wed 20-Jul-11 12:34:14

Love MN ! Always divided opinions..... I will have a look around both counters.

TracyK Wed 20-Jul-11 12:39:59

Kittens - are there any signs to watch out for to spot a good MUA at the MAC counter?
Better times of the day/week/year that they will be working??
I get put off at the MAC counter as it is always really busy (even during the week) and none of the staff seem particularly friendly. But am really curious to try some of the stuff.

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 13:05:15

Mondays are always quietest. People who freelance generally work weekends and then a floating day or two in the week. It's worth going in early on Saturday to do a bit of research. Go for someone who's style you like and ask them if they did their own make up. Sometimes they do each others' when it's quiet so it's worth checking as the make up you admire may have been done by someone else.

I don't have a divided opinion over which counter is better I just get really frustrated with generalisations made over potentially hundreds of artists' work just because of one bad experience.

TracyK Wed 20-Jul-11 13:38:50

I always try and go for a blond for make up and hairdressers. I think they seem to know how a blond should look iykwim.

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 14:04:29

It's true, I must confess that after nearly 20 years in the business I still only know how to make up people with pale ivory skin and dark brown hair. It's a shame as it really holds me back in my career, but I just can't seem to work beyond what I see in the mirror! ..... Ahem! angry

JanMorrow Wed 20-Jul-11 14:09:46

I gots me a mac makeover in a couple of weeks. I'm more excited about buying some stuff though to be honest!

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 14:22:47

Apologies for my sarcasm Tracy. I'm sure you didn't mean it to be, but your assumption comes across a little disrespectful. Make up and hair people spend a lot of time and money training, learning on the job by working with a massively diverse range of clients all with very different tastes and demands or requirements. I can make a blonde lady look as beautiful as I can an indian girl or a redhead, or even a tranny. I can make a stunning model look like a homeless junkie. That's how we train, to have the skills and knowledge to work with people. All people! To adapt our work to the individual, or the brief we are given by a photographer/advertising agency/fashion editor etc.

TracyK Wed 20-Jul-11 14:33:18

Maybe in your field Kittens - but in a small town in Scotland - I doubt the hairdressers have such experience!

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 14:38:08

Perhaps not, but I do suspect they know what works for all of their clients within the field/area/community they work in and not just those with the same hair or features as themselves. It's like presuming anyone, in whatever their career is, only has one or two of the many skills needed to do what they do.

TracyK Wed 20-Jul-11 14:42:26

I know what you are saying makes sense - but ime - I get 'better' colour from a blond and not so nice from any brunettes in the past. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

NotADudeExactly Wed 20-Jul-11 14:49:58

I'm a great fan of many MAC products but do not like their foundations much to be honest. Mostly because they all seem to make my skin break out.

Definitely do get eye and lip products from them, though, as well as their lovely brushes. I very rarely leave the house without their blacktrack fluidline gel liner and all my go to lippies are from them too.

When getting a makeover make sure you tell the MUA what you'd like them to do on you. As mentioned by others, they are usually completely capable of creating looks very different from their own.

Havingkittens Wed 20-Jul-11 14:55:45

Fair enough. Maybe you've been unlucky or maybe what you say is true of the limited experience afforded by working in a small community.

I do apologise, because I can see I probably come across a bit arsey. I was actually laughing whilst I posted that cheeky sarcastic reply, but as it is only words on a page it's not possible to tell that from where you're sitting. That's why I came on and apologised before you had a chance to post again.

There are a lot of generalisations and assumptions made about people who work in the beauty industry because it is considered a "nice" job (almost considered as if it's a bit of a hobby by some) that a lot of people assume we don't have the same level of professional expertise in our own field as those who do a more serious type of job. And I mean that on whatever level, whether they work in the fashion industry in a big city or whether they work in a salon in a small town.

On the other side of the coin, like in any profession, there are those who are good at their jobs and those who are not, that is why I get frustrated by the type of generalisations about all people who work for MAC, for example, where someone has had a bad experience with one individual. I have read these comments so many times about all different cosmetic brand staff on various forums and it always makes me want to stand up for my profession and colleagues.

TracyK Wed 20-Jul-11 15:49:26

I apologise Kittens for my flippant comment - didn't mean any offence.

I'd love to go to someone who would know exactly what colours etc to compliment my skin/hair etc. Everyone I've been to always says 'so what colours do you like then??' and then gone on and done exactly the way I'd do it myself.

I must make more of an effort to get into the city centre places and experiment a but more once the schools go back. Or I'm near London in Aug - may try somewhere 'cosmopolitan'!

MayorNaze Thu 21-Jul-11 14:51:28

oh gosh sorry blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now