Talk

Advanced search

is there such a thing as a good, cheap, hair straightener?

(21 Posts)
CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 19-Jul-11 20:46:56

am back to work in a fortnight, and dd2 still won't let me put her down much. so I will need to shower and sort out my barnet the night before. I've never used straightners before, but I was idly thinking that perhaps a quick straighten in the morning might help me look a bit more groomed.
can anyone recommend some cheapo ones? or is this one of those things where you get what you pay for?

nancy75 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:48:54

I think cheap hair straighteners are a bit of a false economy. I have bought cheap one in the past and found them to be rubbish, my GHD's were worth every penny but i do have truly dreadful hair

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 19-Jul-11 20:52:18

nooooooo, don't say that grin.
although my hair is pretty straight, it's more the sort of groomed look i was after (not poker straight though), so perhaps i could get away with something less heavy duty?
<hopeful>

petitdonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 20:53:53

Sorry, I was coming on to say no too. GHD's all the way (I had three cheap pairs before relenting)!
Buy cheap, buy twice.

nancy75 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:54:13

If your hair is pretty straight cheaper ones might be ok - I have hair like wire wool so i need extreme heat!

TennisFan Tue 19-Jul-11 20:56:46

GHDs are the best and last forever and will sort your hair out really quickly.
But I haven't tried any of the cheaper ones for years since I have had the GHDs

Macaroona Tue 19-Jul-11 21:00:00

GHDs. Don't waste money on cheap ones or any other brand.

I've had mine for 7 years and they're going strong - got them fixed once for £15 by an EBay business, couldn't survive without them so bought some cheap replacements and they were awful - GHDs glide through your hair and make it shiny and swishy, perfect quick morning fix.

HoneyNorwegianRidgebackdragon Tue 19-Jul-11 21:01:30

yes......

2nd hand ghds off ebay grin

dexter73 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:03:31

My mum has these. My dd borrowed them while her GHDs were being replaced due to a fault, and she said that they were really good. Maybe it would be worth trying them as they are only £12.

FizzyMakeFeelNice Tue 19-Jul-11 21:05:54

My sister had GHD's and they were fab, but when they broke she bought these after trying mine and reckons they are just as good. I have fairly frizzy hair and they work great.

DiscoDaisy Tue 19-Jul-11 21:09:13

I have a pair of Carmen straighteners that I bought for £14.99 and on my hair they are as good as my hairdressers GHD's.

sazm Wed 20-Jul-11 01:16:59

argos had some babyliss ones reduced from £99 to £39 i think it was, i ended up buying corioliss ones which were £59,they are FAB,def as good on my think hair as ghd's smile

vjg13 Wed 20-Jul-11 08:18:12

I've got the Boots ones in Dexter's post and find them good.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 20-Jul-11 20:04:03

ooh, thanks everyone for the thoughts. I'm sure GHDs are the business, but I am a bit skint at the moment, and so might experiment with one of the cheaper recommendations.

Littlepumpkinpie Thu 21-Jul-11 10:22:55

babybliss pro are good

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 04-Aug-11 20:17:08

quick update - got the cheapo £12 boots essentials ones, and i actually think they're pretty good. It's taken me a couple of days to get the knack, but they seem as least as effective as whatever my hairdresser uses. thanks for the advice.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Thu 04-Aug-11 23:00:43

Diosa straighteners are ab fab just in case anyone is interested,jus as good as ghds but marginally cheaper,3 years on & still going strong

carabos Fri 05-Aug-11 15:55:40

No such thing, sorry. GHDs are the only ones worth having.

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 05-Aug-11 16:02:49

I have the Boots ones too, and they work well on my hair.

mugglelady Fri 05-Aug-11 23:05:21

I have the remington wet n dry ones that straighten damp hair - they are fantastic, wouldn't be without them. Not cheap, but if you shop around there are usually some sort of deals to be had, I paid £30 in the sale for mine.

frazzled74 Fri 05-Aug-11 23:13:42

I have the boots ones in the link and find them good, I have straight hair anyway but they give me a more groomed look, I wash my hair night before and do a quick straighten in morn as wouldnt want to wake dh and dcs up at 5am with a hairdryer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now