Talk

Advanced search

calling all sahm's, what do you wear in day? bored of jeans

(35 Posts)
yummytummy Mon 18-Jul-11 20:01:00

hiya, just wondering as am now on mat leave so have been living in jeans and crappy tshirt tops but am fed up. really miss wearing smart work clothes but obviously cant wear for just doing nursery pick ups and supermarket shopping etc! what do u wear thats in between? am stumped and tired of looking boring.

also dont want to spend too much as still have some weight to shift.

any tips?

Gillybobs Mon 18-Jul-11 20:05:44

Not a SAHM but do work from home at the moment so alternate my jeans with skinny cargo trousers like this (which are far more comfy than they look!!) or rolled up chinos (got mine from Next but they are selling them everywhere atm). In winter I do like leggings and longer knits teamed with boots

ObviouslyOblivious Mon 18-Jul-11 20:10:09

Jogging bottoms.

Perhaps I need to spend more time in this section of MN?

Ragwort Mon 18-Jul-11 20:12:14

I alternate between jeans and denim skirts (whatever is on sale in our local charity shops grin). Not very original.

kyacat Mon 18-Jul-11 20:14:56

Jeans, converse, t shirts, cute polo shirts and casual shirts from Topshop or Next (bought pre-loved on eBay as I'm on mat pay). I really miss dressing up for work too, can't wait to get my lovely work wardrobe on again!

IAmTheCookieMonster Mon 18-Jul-11 20:21:29

I love dresses, they are easy to throw on but look nicer than jeans and a tshirt.

I also wear jeggings with gladiator(ish) wedges, they are comfy but a bit of a heel to give me better posture.

BulletWithAName Mon 18-Jul-11 20:26:55

I live in dresses, I never wear jeans. The closest I get to trousers are leggings.

herbietea Mon 18-Jul-11 20:26:58

Message withdrawn

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 18-Jul-11 20:36:41

I wear jeans but I think in a glam way wink

So perhaps skinnies and a pretty blouse rather than just a t-shirt.

Or cargo type trousers with nice top.

I do like dresses but find them harder to find really.

And I always have hair/make up done and love a good accessory but realise I'm rather obsessed by fashion blush

otchayaniye Mon 18-Jul-11 21:46:07

I wear dresses

Cigarette pants

Leggings and shoeboots and kimono/haori tops

African print dresses

Skinny black/red jeans

Palazzo pants

otchayaniye Mon 18-Jul-11 21:48:21

Oh, and shorts and opaques

kaftans at home (and sometimes out!)

madammecholet Mon 18-Jul-11 22:01:30

spandex.shock

daimbardiva Tue 19-Jul-11 09:54:16

I still wear jeans a lot, but almost never with t-shirts. I wear empire line tops, shirts/blouses etc. I also wear leggings and tunics a lot, and day dresses from time to time

MumblingRagDoll Tue 19-Jul-11 09:58:45

Another rolled up chino lover here...plus comfy dresses with or without leggings. I also wear an apron at home blush as I'm sick of wrecking my nice clothes with splashes of all kinds.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 19-Jul-11 10:53:19

Leggings and a dress/long tunic top. Chunky cardie on top on chillier days. It's comfortable for around the house, but feels acceptable to go to the shops in etc.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Wed 20-Jul-11 21:38:19

Gillybobs and yummytummy I would like to truly thnak you both, I opened this thread with interest and discovered the trousers Gilly had mentioned, took a risk, ordered them, they arrived today and I bloody love them, will be going back to order some more, they don't ride down on my arse and are a lovely fit grin truly thank you, thank you, thank you! Best £30 I spent as I bought a t-shirt too blush

nicecupofteaplease Thu 21-Jul-11 07:05:56

Love the idea of flouncing around in a dress rather than boring jeans, can anyone link to some nice ones?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 21-Jul-11 11:47:55

To' Sho' have some nice ones (have only looked on first page though). Also Uniqlo – I recently got a lovely print dress from what I think was a special range. Can't remember what it was called but think they do several 'special' mini-collections a year, collaborating with various designers etc, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

Gillybobs Thu 21-Jul-11 12:48:27

Princess - fab, so glad you like them

Helltotheno Thu 21-Jul-11 13:15:22

So all great suggestions for those of us with nice/tanned legs and those who suit skinnies.. what about everyone else?!
Any suggestions for non-jeans but not skinny (not leggings either), let's say, like those cargo pants but wider?

Fuzzled Thu 21-Jul-11 13:19:38

Watching with interest... I have what can be politely termed as "rugby players legs" or fat and stumpy and while my bum isn't too huge, trousers that fit one area don't fit t'other envy ... and I'm only 5ft 1" sad

Sleepwhenidie Thu 21-Jul-11 13:24:25

nicecupoftea Re dresses, I just got these in sales

this which I wear with cropped leggings underneath

this maxi dress which is blissfully comfy and, I think, feels pretty glam daytime wear, if you are pro maxi dresses, which I am wink

Also this which is a sort of top or dress. Again, I put leggings under but I think a cami and tights would work well in winter.

Finally, I have my eye on this little number.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 21-Jul-11 13:41:19

Helltotheno, I suggested wearing leggings with tunics/dresses. Solves the nice/tanned legs issue! There have been numerous threads about palazzo pants, but I'm not going there grin

Gillybobs Thu 21-Jul-11 14:16:08

Helltotheno, I suggested rolled up chinos, available in the usual neutral colours or navy/black but also in loads of nice colours at the moment too, if you fancy something brighter.

Fuzzled Thu 21-Jul-11 14:44:35

Okay, I see how those tops work with leggings (and they're lovely btw!) but as a 5ft stumpy, tunic tops can make me look really well... dumpy!
Back to the drawing board for me I think sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now