Talk

Advanced search

Wallis

(16 Posts)
prudaloo Mon 18-Jul-11 19:57:11

has closed down in my local town! Was there last time I looked- now gone!
I don't buy from there, except the odd thing, and I never bought from Jane Norman- which seemed to be for size zeros who like lycra-but I am getting concerned about the state of clothing retail.

prudaloo Mon 18-Jul-11 19:59:23

also heard that Mango in Solihull is closing...

mooloo Mon 18-Jul-11 20:02:24

That can only be a positive thing!

Karbea Mon 18-Jul-11 20:02:43

I'm concerned about all retail. I reckon in the end we'll have a choice of supermarkets, primark or ikea sad

nancy75 Mon 18-Jul-11 20:17:29

I think arcadia will in future move many of their stand alone stores in to BHs buildings. AFAIK BHS is not doing too well, and by moving Wallis Dorothy pekins & Evans in to one shop the company would reduce overheads. Tops shop will probably remain as stand alone stores as they are the most profitable part of the business. I think wallis will continue as a brand but BHS may go.

TattyDevine Mon 18-Jul-11 20:26:23

"I'm concerned about all retail. I reckon in the end we'll have a choice of supermarkets, primark or ikea"

I do hope this is not the case.

I am from Australia and my perception of there (bear in mind I've lived here for 13 years) is a bunch of both independent and chain stores mainly knocking out affordable and bargainous stuff that is made in China, and fairly average in quality and design, and then European Designer at ££££ or should I say $$$$ (lots more than if you convert it to pounds here - i.e, my mum paid nearly £100 for a pair of Birkenstocks - not designer I know, and not super chic either but gives you an idea, and I thought she'd been ripped but then realise that was the market price over there for this particular pair of Birkenstocks which to be fair were limited edition...)

The beauty of the UK is this middle "high street" thing. Sure, they are chain stores but there is some really great stuff that is readily available and in the mid price range and NICE (lots of it anyway)...

I don't want to see a massive "divide between rich and poor" extended to clothing as well.

netbook Mon 18-Jul-11 20:50:14

Nancy, that is exactly what they did in peterborough, right at the beginning of the recession. They closed wallis, dotty p and evans and stuck them all in the same store where they had BHS.

It's actually a lot easier to shop there now as you can mix and match from the different shops and made business sense as they saved 3 lots of rent in one shopping centre.

prudaloo Mon 18-Jul-11 22:01:52

What alarms me is that this is Leamington Spa, which is meant to be one of the most affluent places to live, despite the recession. We don't have a BHS . If these shops can't make a go of it in such a town, well it does worry me!

madammecholet Mon 18-Jul-11 22:06:00

LOL at Leamington Spa being one of the most affluent places to live.......<and yes, I have lived there....>

prudaloo Mon 18-Jul-11 23:09:16

You don't agree? I'm sure it came out as so in a survey of such things!

gregssausageroll Tue 19-Jul-11 07:19:04

15-20 years ago, Wallis had a lovely big store in Edinburgh. On Princes Street. OK, it shared a building with Top Shop and Principles but it took a full floor of a huge building. I remember trying hard to save for clothes from there as the quality used to be good. Their trousers in particular!

Roll forward and the store is now half of a shop in a shopping centre with very old fashioned, tired and polyester clothes.

madammecholet Tue 19-Jul-11 07:50:33

Sorry prudaloo I lived/worked there for a few years, it never seemed that affluent to me, but maybe I was hanging out in the wrong places grin

TheMitfordsMaid Tue 19-Jul-11 08:11:00

Dotty P, Wallis, Evans and Warehouse are all under one roof already as Outfit, aren't they?

LuckyMrsT Tue 19-Jul-11 09:15:34

Mango has shut. I popped in to try to buy a dress someone had put on here and it had gone! Don't know why, the company's still going.

wicketkeeper Tue 19-Jul-11 10:59:18

Leeds city centre is still thriving - honestly, standing room only in Vivienne Westwood, queuing out the door for the cafe at Harvey Nicks. Had to wait ages to try something on in House of Fraser. DH and I actually stood on The Headrow and looked at the quantity of people, and said 'Recession?? What recession?' But then, for people who are in jobs, the cost of living isn't so great up here.

TapselteerieO Tue 19-Jul-11 11:51:53

We have no Zara or Gap, in a place with an already limited choice of clothes shops, online ranges are never as good as going in for a browse. I now buy less clothes, when I do get a chance to go somewhere with more shops I don't have time to get to all the shops I like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now