Talk

Advanced search

Boys Kilt Outfit for formal wedding - chav or class ?

(27 Posts)
plinkduet Mon 18-Jul-11 18:34:45

Please can you vote on this look for a formal summer wedding (top hat and tails) for a toddler, is it chav or class? confused

This outfit but without a bow tie.
They're horrendously expensive, so I don't want to make a mistake.

Thankyou smile

kilt outfit click here

SauvignonBlanche Mon 18-Jul-11 18:36:13

If you're a Highlander - class.

If you're not, it's not. smile

sassyTHEFIRST Mon 18-Jul-11 18:37:26

What suav said.

Otherwise toddler boys wear chinos, shirt and waistcoat. And look adorable.

<gavel>

LynetteScavo Mon 18-Jul-11 18:39:44

Waistcoat? hmm - tank-top I say.

I don't think the outfit in the link is chav, as long as it's not random.

fluffles Mon 18-Jul-11 18:41:44

if you're scottish and/or there will be other adult men in kilts then fine.

if not, a bit weird (but not chav)

McDreamy Mon 18-Jul-11 18:42:26

As Fluffles said

plinkduet Mon 18-Jul-11 19:22:03

Oh sad

It's not a Scottish wedding, although I can think of some attendees with Scots surnames I doubt they'll be dressing for their heritage.

There's few occasions fitting for this outfit and as my son has Scottish ancestry and Scots surname, I thought it might be ideal to wear his history.

I also first thought of chinos and waistcoat look, but at two years old and with the prettiest face, he is going to look adorable (big, silly sigh). His sister is a flower girl for the bride.

I expect there will be a uniform of chinos and waistcoats amongst the many trillions of toddlers present, I just wanted him to look a little bit different but not too different it detracts from the overall formal theme.

I can see that if we had no Scottish heritage, it would not be appropriate.

Any more views please? smile

mozette Mon 18-Jul-11 19:27:20

If it's not in Scotland, if your not Scottish and no one else will be wearing a kilt its a bit chav

needanewname Mon 18-Jul-11 19:30:08

Agree with mozette.

Also what does your son think?

petitdonkey Mon 18-Jul-11 19:32:56

Sorry but another no here. If no-one else is dressed that way you are in danger of making everyone assume that he is a part of the wedding party too - a bit like dressing a girl in a bridesmaidy type dress when she isn't a bridesmaid IYSWIM.

weblette Mon 18-Jul-11 19:35:36

Agree with fluffles.

If you wanted to 'casual it down' a bit, our dses wore Black Watch kilts with a white t-shirt and cable knit tank top for my cousin's wedding. Will put a pic on profile.

It was in Scotland and I'm Scottish, the boys aren't.

crystalglasses Mon 18-Jul-11 19:40:24

Will only work if he's Scottish.

MynameisnotEarl Mon 18-Jul-11 19:40:36

I'm Scottish, and really, kilts only belong at Scottish weddings.

If no-one else is wearing the kilt, he will look 'different'.

They're certainly not chav hmm

TheCrackFox Mon 18-Jul-11 19:42:04

What kind of Scottish heritage are we talking about? Mum or Dad Scottish then great but if it is a great, great grandad then, no, no kilt.

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Mon 18-Jul-11 19:43:08

Agreed, if you are not Scottish and/or it is not a Scottish wedding then it will look odd.

how about something like THESE if it is a formal do.

slartybartfast Mon 18-Jul-11 19:44:54

who else will be wearing one?

slartybartfast Mon 18-Jul-11 19:46:21

i think a kilt is lovely. he is just a guest? go for it. if you want.
how far back is your scottish ancestry?

TheHumanCatapult Mon 18-Jul-11 19:50:18

ds2 and ds3 wore kilts for my mum and step dads wedding but step dad wore kilt to as is scottish .But rather than bowtie they wore ghillie shirts but did have little jackets to for the photos

schroeder Mon 18-Jul-11 19:55:52

HOLY COW grin

talkingnonsense Mon 18-Jul-11 20:31:52

Wear the kilt with a t shirt or knitted jumper to casual it up a bit- no sporran and ordinary socks.

talkingnonsense Mon 18-Jul-11 20:33:14

Yy just like on weblettes pic, gorgeous.

SingingSands Mon 18-Jul-11 20:42:21

Myself and DH are Scottish, DCs born in England. At a Scottish wedding this spring, ALL the males (even the kids) wore kilts. Apart from my DS (age 3), who had the mother of all tantrums as soon as he clapped eyes on his kilt. In the end he wore navy blue linen trousers, plain white shirt and navy linen waistcoat with a heavy-knit cardigan over it all. He looked lovely. DMIL was most upset, she wanted him in a kilt.

If the wedding is not in Scotland, and there are not many Scots attending then your DS would stand out a lot and, not wanting to sound like a meanie, but people may snigger and then make some silly comments once they've had a beer or two. My opinion is that kilts on under-5s are a no-no. The shirts hang out, the socks hang down and they look a mess. Although, as mentioned above, white t-shirts and tank tops are a nice neat look with kilts for littlies.

needanewname Mon 18-Jul-11 20:43:35

But why a kilt if not in Scotland and the bride and grrom aren't Scotttish? Ridiculous

talkingnonsense Mon 18-Jul-11 20:55:24

Well, need, my dh would wear a kilt rather than tails to a formal wedding- it is the Scottish equivalent, if you are Scottish.

needanewname Mon 18-Jul-11 20:59:55

agreed talking, if you are scottish or the weding is aking place in scotland. I love a man wearing a kilt and think it looks fab, however for a non Scot to wear one at an English wedding looks ridiculous. IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now