Talk

Advanced search

false nails - the salon sort - for an 8yo?

(17 Posts)
PrettyCandles Sun 17-Jul-11 18:18:47

Dd wants to break her habit of picking, biting and tearing at her nails. We have tried rewards, star charts, reminders, one finger at a time, bitter stuff, everything we can think of, but it's not working.

Yesterday I was admiring my aunt's beautiful nails and she told me that she had worn false nails for about a year, and when she stopped having them she found that she had stopped biting them, too.

So I wonder whether this could work for dd? Obviously they wouldn't be long, and would have neutral polish.

miniwedge Sun 17-Jul-11 18:21:14

Are you kidding? They ruin the real nail underneath and she's eight. FFA.

Deaddei Sun 17-Jul-11 18:31:56

No way.
Wouldn't consider them for dd at 14 who bites and picks. Let her have manky nails if she hasn't the willpower to give up.

PonceyMcPonce Sun 17-Jul-11 18:36:02

Actually, I would say no to wag type acrylics, but a shellac manicure only protects the nails underneath, does not artificially extend the length and look pretty.

I'd consider it for a month during summer hols then back t school with nice nails.

Nail biting is sore, gets infected and spreads worms IMO, so worth a try!

TattyDevine Sun 17-Jul-11 18:48:18

Its true it helps them break the habit

Let her do it herself I reckon when she has a Saturday job etc (or go halvies with her) when she's about 16

In the meantime, she can have manky bit nails like the rest of the kids who choose to bite their nails!

Up to you of course but its almost like rewarding a bad habit.

If you are hell bent on her having some overlays then Biosculpture gel is a lovely product that really does protect the nail.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 17-Jul-11 18:48:45

Could you not just paint them, or get her a professional manicure done, even though they're a mess, as an incentive to stop biting them? I bit mine when younger and now have lovely nails, though they are a bit soft. I love having them done now, when I have the money and time

Its a hard habit to break but I would never consider false nails for a child, no matter what type

Chipotle Sun 17-Jul-11 19:00:37

I'm a nail biter and have been for as long as I've had teeth so about 33 years. This didn't work for me and actually made things worse because I bit the acrylics off taking most of the nail with it. I wouldn't recommend it if she's a bad biter and she's only 8 might wreck her nail bed forever.
I wish I had an answer of how to stop biting but if I did I wouldn't be sat here monching away. sad

Karbea Sun 17-Jul-11 19:18:15

When I was a little girl you could buy something that you painted on the nails to stop children biting them. Fake nails for children, definitely not. Wait till she is older.

PrettyCandles Sun 17-Jul-11 22:38:14

Quite a strong reaction - why the outrage? I don't mean WAG-style nails.

Do these things (what are they called, BTW?) really ruin the nails, or only cause damage if they are ripped off? Are they even available in a small enough size?

IslaValargeone Sun 17-Jul-11 22:42:43

I think a nail biter would bite off the acrylic, and god knows what that would do to an 8 year old's nails long term.
Try a bit of sparkly polish perhaps, to encourage her to keep them pretty.

BunnyLebowski Sun 17-Jul-11 22:42:49

Wise up.

Let her do it the hard way. Encouraging her to muster up the willpower to stop a bad habit will be a far more valuable life lesson to her than rewarding said behaviour with expensive nail covers.

PonceyMcPonce Sun 17-Jul-11 22:46:24

Acrylics are very bad for nails, but a good gel or shellac manicure would show her how nice they could look, whilst protecting new growth.

acsec Sun 17-Jul-11 22:47:07

Try that maky tasting stuff you paint on nails

acsec Sun 17-Jul-11 22:47:27

*manky oops!

TattyDevine Sun 17-Jul-11 22:53:02

They possibly aren't available in a small enough size - though I'm not totally up to date with the size of an 8 year old's nail bed.

I know you can get stick on ones from Boots and Superdrug that are aimed at the tween market, so are pretty petite fit, and are pretty sensible length. You could file them down a bit more too. They might look a little waggy but not if you file them down a bit and you could do them yourself at home for £6, they last about a week, sometimes have 3 for 2 etc etc.

In fact I do my own stick on nails at home, its not ideal, I'd rather go to the salon but lack the time where I dont' have my little children with me to go and get refills etc. So I just do the stick ons and then can do them when I want and have a moment.

One of the main reasons I have them is because I get split sides of fingers and in particular thumbs. No cream or remedy has worked to stop them forming from time to time (like every week if I don't have the nails) and they take a couple of weeks, or at least a week, to heal. Whereas if I have a nail that is a little bit over the fingertip in terms of length, it protects them and stops it happening, for some reason. I'd sooner have natural nails or a really nice short Biosculpture gel if anything but I'll stick with the stick ons for now.

If its any help, my nearly 4 year old son wanted a long fingernail once when he saw me doing them, and I was in a good mood for once (!) so I said fine then, and stuck the smallest size on his index finger, and it was a perfect fit. So if I could find a nail to fit my 4 year old, I reckon the petite ones will be okay for your 8 year old. All you do is lightly buff the nail (I mean really lightly, you just have to take the "sheen" off the nail), then a tiny bit of the glue and stick it on.

This kind of thing

These look pretty young and no superglue though I would say they don't stay on well, you need the proper glue really but might be a good place to start

here is another petite set

TattyDevine Sun 17-Jul-11 22:55:24

Okay those ones in the second link someone used on their 5 year old so they would fit.

TattyDevine Sun 17-Jul-11 22:55:33

(read the reviews)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now