Talk

Advanced search

eeeek!! Have I lost my mind? I am 40 and have just bought a <<cough>>; "playsuit"

(6 Posts)
tulpe Sun 17-Jul-11 12:56:25

Am prepared to hear that I am going through a mid-life crisis and that I should return said item. here - you will need to scroll down that page to the royal blue strapless playsuit . We are off to a greek island for our holiday this year and am feeling the need to do that "beach to bar" thing that stylists tell us is possible hmm. I am a size 8, have good legs - if that has any bearing, and I don't "look" 40. Was thinking a simple gold pendant and flat leather gold sandals.

Will I be mutton?

BulletWithAName Sun 17-Jul-11 13:03:19

I think you'll look great.

ChessPiece Sun 17-Jul-11 13:03:48

Looks okay to me and sounds as though you have the figure to carry it off. Anyway on holiday you can reinvent yourself a little bit.

Have great time.

tulpe Sun 17-Jul-11 13:07:19

thanks smile I was really looking for something which was easy to wear but still stylish.

I agree you can reinvent yourself on holiday. I am bored with my regular holiday clothes and most of them are starting to show signs of wear now as they have been firm favourites for a while.

animula Sun 17-Jul-11 13:08:44

That's weird. I'm 45 and dreamt last night I bought a playsuit, and it was a disturbing dream. Make of that what you will.

I reckon you're a size 8, with good legs, and that is the important issue, not your age. I also suspect one of the issues with the playsuit is the whole thing about having to effectually disrobe when <ahem> visiting the lavatory: that is what marks its position over the boundary between youth and age. Simply because age often brings a touch of pragmatism, even cynicism, along with experience - in love, life, and wardrobe.

In youth, one is trying things out for the first time: "Shall I give this boy a second chance, even though he has been drunk on every date we've been on?" Youth says: "OK." Age says: "Been there, done that. No."

And so to the playsuit: Youth says: "Yo! A playsuit . That's fun! Who cares if I have to take the whole thing off if I want to pee! It can't be that much hassle!" Age says: "Oh God. Life's too hard anyway. And ... ew ... I remember that time when I was 17 and was so drunk my friend had to do my trousers up for me. Eeek."

So, it sounds as though you've made a judgment call, drawn on your accumulated experience, and decided you can handle it - even the slightly eewk-inducing name. I reckon it'll be fine, and you'll look good.

tulpe Sun 17-Jul-11 13:11:11

grin *animula love your response! Yes, I have to admit the name of the item makes me cringe too. I think that is where part of my doubt about the item comes from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now