Talk

Advanced search

'Bang on trend'?

(34 Posts)
Verso Sun 17-Jul-11 05:54:50

I love clothes, and shopping, and these days, having two small children and a disabled DH, do most of my shopping online (love when the parcels arrive!) but oh, the times I have wanted to slap the copywriters for their off-putting 'fashion' cliches (use of which seems to be inversely proportional to the stylishness of the item or website in question. So, here are my favourite no-nos (?!). What are yours?

Bang on trend
Killer heels
Piece
Trouser (singular)
As you will
Sassy

(you can probably identify at least two websites from that list!! smile)

spiderslegs Sun 17-Jul-11 05:57:27

If I ever see a 'pop' of colour again - I may kill the instigator.

Zwitterion Sun 17-Jul-11 08:14:29

I hate 'day to night'. Does any dress actually reliably live up to this?

'Pull on styling' grates a bit too. Basically means it has an elasticated waist.

FakePlasticTrees Sun 17-Jul-11 08:20:12

Zwitterion, I have a fabulous black dress from topshop several years ago that can be worn to work, but stick some heels on and re do your make up and it's good to go for evenings! It also makes my boobs look bigger than they are and makes my arse magically disappear.

However, I've worn it so much the zip is going, Topshop clothes aren't built to last. <sob>

OP - can I add - Statement jewellery

BulletWithAName Sun 17-Jul-11 08:33:00

Fierce.

TattyDevine Sun 17-Jul-11 08:44:11

"dress up or down"

I.e put an effing different necklace on then?

Butterbur Sun 17-Jul-11 08:48:19

"Luxe" anything.

TattyDevine Sun 17-Jul-11 08:51:05

"for an off duty look"

Okay so scruffy chavwear...

Zwitterion Sun 17-Jul-11 09:10:00

FakePlasticTrees that sounds like a truly magical dress! Very envious.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Jul-11 10:22:41

Fakeplastic get the zip replaced it doesnt cost much.

jumpinghoops Sun 17-Jul-11 10:29:58

Have been seeing a lot of the americanism 'go-to' a lot to describe things recently- ie. this will become your go-to dress for the summer. I have an irrational dislike of this expression.

RMutt Sun 17-Jul-11 10:30:40

'Fashion story' (this Spring/Autmn, whatever)

Capsule wardrobe.

And my all time nails on blackboard word 'Fashionista'<shudder>

Colours 'popping' makes me want to heave.

kyacat Sun 17-Jul-11 10:34:47

"Colour popping" makes me grind my teeth. But my all-time most hated phrase was someone describing Cheryl Cole as "flexing her fashion mojo". What. The fuck hmm

Verso Sun 17-Jul-11 12:04:07

These are great! grin Glad it's not just me!!

2cats2many Sun 17-Jul-11 12:09:18

I blame Gok Wan for 'Bang on Trend' becoming part of common parleance.

tulpe Sun 17-Jul-11 12:34:05

agree with anything singular: an ankle boot, a trouser.......were these things formally not known as plural? My all-time favourite has to be Jess Cartner Morley referring to Kate Moss wearing "an opaque tight "

The term "luxe" appears to be applied to any over-priced tee-shirt or jersey items now in a bid to get you to part with a week's grocery shopping money for a navy long sleeve top (yes, Rick Owens, Splendid and Velvet, I am talking about you).

IMO it is as bad as "business speak". Reading through fashion mags, it is possible to play "Style Bullshit Bingo" - one is sure to be able to call "house" by page 2 of Grazia.

mittenkitten Sun 17-Jul-11 13:53:52

Side note: yes, a big WTF to all these £80 T-shirts . . . . STUPID money for something that's just going to go baggy and develop little holes the same way all T-shirts do.

"all about," as in "This season it's all about . . . . "
"team it with" -- possibly IABU but I just hate hate hate this expression.

mittenkitten Sun 17-Jul-11 13:57:44

ooh, ooh . . .

"effortless" Oh please -- there is no such thing.
"elevate" -- an irritating NAP-ism, as in, "This massively overpriced handbag will elevate your look."
"curated" -- "This boutique features a carefully curated line of . . . . " THEY ARE JUST CLOTHES, BLOODY CLOTHES, NOT EFFING MUSEUM PIECES. Thank you.

WholeLottaRosie Sun 17-Jul-11 14:12:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TrillianAstra Sun 17-Jul-11 14:14:00

Day to night is one of those magazine things that assumes that everyone
works in an office
where you must wear office-wear
goes out at night
straight from the office
to places where you must look glam

I do work in an office, but it's not office-wear-y, and if I went out it would be to a pub full of people wearing jeans.

Chandon Sun 17-Jul-11 14:21:55

I have given up on fashion mags as I got so bored with the same old same old...

I now read the National Geographic and the Spectator, much more fun. (feel about 64 though)

I like fashion, and wearing nice clothes, but there should be a whole new style of magazine.

like Trillain said, the expect you to work in an office and have to go from office straight to a glam do.

Reality is that I am a SAHM in the country. That doesn't mean I am a fashion nitwit....or does it

PaintedToenails Sun 17-Jul-11 14:57:52

Hmmm...Grazia magazine is huilty of most of these, every single issue.

Out of them all, I think 'Bang On Trend' is really the one that makes me want to travel to the offending publications' offices and dump a load of horse manure over all the trendy, glamourous trollops within!

Also, the word 'Glitzy' makes my teeth crawl for some reason.

PaintedToenails Sun 17-Jul-11 14:58:19

*Guilty....not huilty.....tut.

catinthehat2 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:51:40

Uber anything

I am not German

Verso Mon 18-Jul-11 08:55:53

I think "an opaque tight" has to be the best/worst one ever! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now