Talk

Advanced search

Smaller size clothes

(16 Posts)
cathkidstonbag Sat 16-Jul-11 19:44:57

thanks to a stomach ulcer and huge amount of stress I have gone down 5 dress sizes since last year. However this now means that I can't find clothes that fit me anywhere. Next size 6s hang off me, I had to buy size uk 2 jeans in gap and nowhere can I find nice underwear. I'm now having to buy children's size 12-13 clothes and yes I do find the occasional nice bit that way but I'd really like to buy grown ups clothes.
I look blinking awful in most of the clothes I have, can anyone point me to somewhere that either does skimpy sizes or does smaller sizes.

kickingking Sat 16-Jul-11 23:32:12

How tall are you? I assume not very, if you are buying kids clothes?

Topshop and Miss Selfridge do a size 4 in their petite range. They are generally skimpier on their sizing than Next, so I assume the 4 would be very small.

cathkidstonbag Sun 17-Jul-11 06:38:04

Hadn't thought of trying those 2 - thanks. I'm 5 5 so not short, so kids jeans tend to be bit on short side. Will go and check those out online - thanks.

kickingking Sun 17-Jul-11 09:29:46

Cheap shops tend to be skimpier on their sizing. You might fit a size 6 in places like New Look or Primark. I'm a 6 in Next, but an 8 in New Look.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Jul-11 10:20:43

Have you tried karen millen? there size 6 is tiny I can only get into the tops but not jackets or jeans.

I find next and m&s tend to cut bigger.

zulinka Sun 17-Jul-11 10:35:15

Whilst other people have leisure time all mine is spent honking around shops looking for clothes to fit. Size 6's have become to big- particually the bottoms.I'm 5'3 34 22 34 and my BMI is normal so I,m just small boned ,dinky etc. I,m always on the look out for well made, grown up clothes but as Kickingking pointed out it's the cheaper 'younger' shops who do the smaller sizes.I often wonder where the hell anyone who is shorter than me i.e 5 foot and under with the same sort of body would shop ?- remember even petite clothes only go down as far as size 6.My weight/shape has not change for past 30 years and then I could buy on the high street (size 8) .....I think vanity sizing has a lot to answer for.

cathkidstonbag Sun 17-Jul-11 10:36:29

New Look only seems to go down to an 8 I found? Primark 8s swamp me too, although I have a couple of shirts from there that look ok, just bit loose.
Karen Millen - right will try there, bit out of my price range but a few nice bits might sort my wardrobe out. I used to have a wardrobe bursting with clothes - not anymore sad
And any ideas for underwear? I used to love la senza but they don't go small enough for bras. I really don't want to have to resort to m and s teenage range!!!

kickingking Sun 17-Jul-11 12:14:04

New Look def do a 6 - although it might be only the bigger stores, my local one is huge.

Zulinka I'm 5'1" and similar measurements to you (BMI about 20, I think) - I tend to buy Next size 6 for work trousers, and most other clothes in New Look and Dotty P petites in an 8.

It was harder buying clothes before everyone was wearing leggings - leggings and tunics are an easier thing to make look the right size! I dread the return of tailoring, which I am sure is coming in the wake of Kate Middleton!

kickingking Sun 17-Jul-11 12:15:48

What's your bra size? I used to be small (30B) so might be able to suggest places.

Don't have that problem any more as having DC has made me a saggy 32D!

SnapesOnAPlane Sun 17-Jul-11 12:28:38

Zara, Abercrombie and fitch, net a porter if in budget. Dorothy Perkins have a few small 6's in too.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 17-Jul-11 12:32:43

Depends how much you want to spend but for jeans all the premium brands go down to a 24inch waist.

Gap size large imo.

Generally the more you spend the smaller the sizes - reiss do a UK size 4 and comptoir des cottoniers do a size 6 which is cut very neatly.

The sales are on so look on nap/matches/donna ida etc for jeans. I got Citizens of Humanity for £80 on nap which is 60% off and they definitely go down to a 24 waist.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 17-Jul-11 12:33:31

Oh and also look at 'teenage' ranges so johnnie b at boden, and shops like jack wills.

cathkidstonbag Sun 17-Jul-11 17:06:05

I'm 28b bra size. 28/24/31 measurements wise.
I love all the Jack Wills, Johnnie B stuff but my teenage DD does not love me wearing that kind of thing!!!

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 17-Jul-11 17:59:04

Tell your DD she is lucky as she can borrow clothes off her mum wink

oxcat1 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:59:11

For underwear, you could try Little Women. They go down to 28AAA so should have something to fit. Sale on at the moment too.

cathkidstonbag Sun 17-Jul-11 21:49:41

MrsCB - she can't borrow my stuff as it's too small for her! She's a curvy size 8 with big boobs. I just feel a bit silly sometimes when I go out with her and we've both got on converse, jeans, hollister hoody - looks like I'm trying to reclaim my youth!!!
Oxcat1 off to look at that site now - how I miss my 36d's!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now