Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New make up routine?

(24 Posts)
Fuzzled Sat 16-Jul-11 10:33:00

I suck at make-up - my mum never really showed me make up skills when i was growing up as she was allergic to a lot of stuff so didn't wear any. As a result, I feel like a clown when I put it on and usually wipe it off again.
However, I'm now getting to the point where I feel I need an extra boost to make me look less "mumsy" IYSWIM.
Can anyone recommend a book for make up skills/tips and maybe even a makeover service that doesn't make you look like a WAG?
(Don't know if it's relevant, but I am exceedingly fair skinned and have only ever found Bobbi Brown foundation to work for me)

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 16-Jul-11 10:59:46

Some beauty salons do make up lessons, you can choose from day or evening.

If I want to learn something I go on youtube and look it up.

To be honest sometimes only a small change makes a big difference, eg I use a primer now and eyelash curlers everyday.

Make up artists are in most towns now doing weddings and proms etc but I'm sure would also do a lesson and they know a lot about make up and simple tips but I find a lot of it is just trial and error eg everyone on here seems to like lancome mascaras but they do nothing for me at all.

Which bits do you have a problem with and whats your colouring?

emsyj Sat 16-Jul-11 11:00:19

I have never been to Bobbi Brown but it is highly recommended on here (I think free also???)

MAC shops do a make up lesson where they spend an hour showing you a day and evening look for £50, redeemable against any purchases.

If you have a local make up artist you could get a private lesson? I am starting a make-up artistry course in September and the place I'm going does all sorts of courses. Mine is a formal qualification but you can do day-long courses and stuff too.

emsyj Sat 16-Jul-11 11:02:02

Further to Fluffycouldland's post, the key person on YouTube is Lauren Luke - her user name on YouTube is panacea81 I think. I have never used her make up lessons but they are very very very popular.

moondog Sat 16-Jul-11 11:03:25

Go to BB counter. Best thing i ever did.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 16-Jul-11 11:05:50

And she has a book out too, my local library (sp) has a bobbi brown book and I think a vogue one too.

Dont forget some products just arent for everyone I am dark hair but pale skin and blusher always looks wrong on me somehow. I only use it for when I have a fake tan and then very sparingly (I read a makeup tip that said it makes a fake tan look more believeable)

Ditto bronzing powder.

Fuzzled Sat 16-Jul-11 11:28:34

Hmm, might take a look at BB counter then.
It's things like colours I find awkward. As a child of the eighties (when I was impressionable and allowed to "dress up" with mums limited store!) I find myself drawn to electric blue and green blush and I'm fairly certain that isn't a good look!
Also eye liner - as I wear glasses it never looks "right".
Sooo many things! Might see if our library has the BB book...

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 16-Jul-11 11:41:13

If eye liner doesn't look right don't use it.

Personally I use eye shadow in browns and mascara. And a bit of lip gloss.

Have tried eye liner and I just look hideous so I don't use it. I also don't use blusher cos I don't think it is the right look for me.

Are you aiming for a fully made up look or just a touch of make-up? Don't think there is anything wrong with the latter.

Fuzzled Sat 16-Jul-11 11:44:54

Both?
I'd like a bit for day to day / looking less like I just rolled out of bed, and then a routine for eventually being able to go out for a nice meal with DH.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 16-Jul-11 13:58:04

Have a lesson and then practice lots, it doesn't matter if you mess it up it all washes off doesn't it?

Tbh I got my best make up tips from bridal magazines because some if them do regular make up tests and sometimes you get free treatments or samples to take to make up counters. Plus they go into skincare regimes etc.

Don't get dis-heartened if you make mistakes we all do.

blabalalalablabla Sat 16-Jul-11 14:14:08

Have a look at Lisa Eldridge's videos - they are great - lots of good ideas there as well as the 'basics' and everyday looks.

anon80 Sat 16-Jul-11 14:18:41

Fuzzled the answer your looking for is lisa eldridge - link below - enjoy but be warned you will end up spending loads- i did.

www.lisaeldridge.com/video/

anon80 Sat 16-Jul-11 14:19:24

x posts blabala

ComradeJing Sat 16-Jul-11 16:09:25

IMO a basic day routine that you can actually do every day with kids hanging off you is:
- tinted SPF moisturiser (BB if it works for you).
- a cream blusher (BB have one I think or look at Laura Mercia or Posietint/benetint by benefit)
- mascara (BB do a good day time one or look at Mac or Lancome. My current favourite is a MAC one that comes off with warm water)
- tinted lip balm or a lip stain or lip gloss or lipstick (again BB are good but do take a look at the fab Clinique chubby sticks)

Sometimes I use a powder blusher but I find those harder over tinted moisturiser/foundation for some reason. I would now rather focus on my lips than eyes so I don't bother with eyeshadow.

A trip to the BB counter really is worth it. You can call them in advance and book in a slot too.

LorneMower Sat 16-Jul-11 16:09:57

go to bb and get a routine designed

timidviper Sat 16-Jul-11 16:12:49

I learned to use makeup in the 80s and had settled on my on way of doing things. Whenever I had stuff done in stores it was a bit meh but a makeup session at Bobbi Brown has updated me (and a few friends too when they saw the effects!)

It is worth booking in for a free lesson with them, my DD (aged 20) has been too and loved it.

wompoopigeon Sat 16-Jul-11 16:23:44

If you can afford it, then book an appointment at Bobbi Brown and explain your dilemma. Go on a Tuesday morning or something when it's quiet. Only thing is that to get a whole look from scratch there is going to cost you £££ eg I went in the week and asked about eye shadow palettes and they happily showed me how they could make one up for £15 a colour plus the price of the box! So you're spunking £45 + on eye shadow alone. Add lippy, blusher, powder, eye pencil, primer, tools and all the other guff they would no doubt try to flog you and you're going to need to have steeled yourself in advance to spend a fair whack. Don't be pressurised into buying anything. Maybe start off gently asking for a blush and a lipstick (bare lips by Laura Mercier is fab- my lips but better) and then pick up a Boots number seven mascara and translucent powder.

PollyRoxs Sat 16-Jul-11 16:31:29

I agree with comradejane if you are new to the make up game start off gradual, you can always build it up as your confidence grows.
Try a tinted moisturiser, mascara and lip gloss as basics and build in blusher or bronzer and eye shadow or liner over time.

It is worth going to bobbi brown for their free consultation but don't be overwhelmed as they will try putting everything on you. Take your time to let the products sit on your skin for a while before going back to purchase. I always go for a coffee or finish my shopping before inspecting what they have put on me and making a purchase. It can be so expensive if you buy on in pulse.
Bobbi brown are well known for their more natural approach so they are good place to start.
Enjoy yourself it is supposed to be fun grin

skyebluepink Sat 16-Jul-11 20:49:32

A lot of good advice on here but nothing can replace sitting down with someone (impartial) and talking about how to do makeup.

I used to (and still do) film/ TV and I spend a lot of time product testing and researching (on here!) and I so often got crys of 'I wish someone would show me how to do makeup!' that I decided to do just that. I provide a sort of makeup MOT service.

I won't say anymore for fear of sounding like an advert but PM if you are London based and interested. No painted ladies I promise!

Fuzzled Sat 16-Jul-11 20:52:54

Thanks for the offer, but unless you do home visits to Scotland, then I don't think it'll work! grin

skyebluepink Sat 16-Jul-11 21:09:50

I would love to!

ComradeJ has very good ideas for basic makeup.

Aside from recommendations above I also think this is a good blusher www.maxfactor.co.uk/uk/products/Face/Blusher/CreamyBlush/shade.aspx?id=430 in soft pink, on the apples of your cheeks (do a fake smile and you go for the fleshy bits). With a good mascara ( Clinique curling mascara is very good- lasts all day and I also like Volume Express maybelline). And that is enough for daytime.

Then for eyes, this is a lovely universal colour and easy to use with the smudgy end. I bought the colour called brown but it is more of a taupe ( though it doesn't show like that on the website www.boots.com/en/No7-Amazing-Eyes-Pencil_869563/ Just use it on the top lash line as close to your lashes as possible and smudge.

I agree with the others who say have a play. I think sometimes it can feel like everyone else has it going on and knows exactly what they are doing makeup wise. Or that if you didn't have sisters or a mum to show you then somehow you missed the boat. Honestly, so many people feel like you.

Definitely try Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier and don't be afraid to question what they are doing or say no if you don't like it. The idea that you get a 'free' beauty counter makeover is ridiculous - it is the least they can do if they want you to buy stuff.

good luck and happy to answer any questions at all!

pollyteapot Sat 16-Jul-11 21:11:54

Gosh, this could have been me writing the OP. BB seems to be highly recommended - i used to get the dd freebie session from Lancome, but they were more interested in flogging the skincare things rather than the make up. And i am always a succer but 3 get a crappy mini gift set, so I always spent far too much money on things i didn't go in for. i might try the BB counter myself this week

QuinnFabray Sat 16-Jul-11 22:52:22

I've only been wearing make up a couple of years, and youtube taught me everything I know. I'm totally converted, love it, wear it every day.

Pixiwoo and Lisa Eldridge are my favourite, and there are so many others.

33kns Sat 16-Jul-11 23:24:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now