Talk

Advanced search

How much do you spend on clothes per month?

(12 Posts)
Karbea Sat 16-Jul-11 10:29:23

I have a wardrobe full of nothing, my shopping habit has always been I wait till I have nothing to wear, get depressed and then splurge. I want to stop feeling depressed about clothes and I wonder if I got a few things more regularly, I'd buy better investments and not feel so rubbish about myself.

I like nice clothes, I'm not really a primark lady, I guess on average I'd spend about £200 per dress... So I'm not really asking from the perspective of saving money, more from having a nice wardrobe, that stays current.

Fuzzled Sat 16-Jul-11 10:37:34

With you on the nothing to wear front.
And I hate shopping so "bulk" buy (6 tops at once etc). Don't even get me started on jeans shopping!
Have you tried/thought about a personal shopper? I've used Debehams service on several occasions and always got something that I was exceedingly pleased with. I'd do it for day to day stuff too, but don't have the money to make it really worth my while and I'm determined to shift the weight first, so it'll be never sad

Karbea Sat 16-Jul-11 10:49:38

Hi fuzzled I've done personal shopping at selfridges a few times before, but that type of shopping is exactly the sort of splurge shopping I want to stop. I'd quite like to buy a few things a month, rather than a panic buy wardrobe twice a year.

ameliagrey Sat 16-Jul-11 11:34:13

Very little.

I work from home for 90% of the time so have no need for loads of clothes, and we don't have a very active social life either.

My wardrobe is "top heavy"- I have a weakness for nice cardigans, tops and jumpers, but have very few bottoms- trousers, skirts and dresses and those I do have are along the smart/casual line.

Karbea Sat 16-Jul-11 11:37:29

Umm we have a very active social life, but also work from home. I tend to end up in tracksuits during the week, which make me feel bad... Don't down anything for my self esteem...

Some months nothing, other months a couple of hundred.

Marne Sat 16-Jul-11 11:44:50

We try and buget for £100 a month to cover all 4 of us including shoes but some months we spend nothing and overs (if we need shoes) it can be a lot more.

Mumelie Sat 16-Jul-11 11:49:41

I have never added it up as I have a bit of a 'habit' ! I guess maybe £150-200 a month, some months much less though. I am a sale bargain shopper. Dont really like cheap stuff but good makes reduced! My weight fluctuates so have a wardrobe that spans 3 sizes. I also cant fit summer or winter in together so half has to be in storage! Any excuse to shop and I will tbh grin.

Karbea Sat 16-Jul-11 12:10:25

mumelie I pack away my summer and winter clothes, I quite like sept and apr when I swap wardrobes.

Umm I reckon spending about £200 a month could be a good start...

LovelyDaffs Sat 16-Jul-11 12:52:33

I've no idea how much I spend on clothes and don't really want to know grin. I'd say the thing to do is write a list of essentials and see how many you have or need to get and go from there. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about the basic wardrobe, which was good.

higgle Sat 16-Jul-11 17:14:42

£166 per month is my clothing budget, I tend to spend about 1/2 early in the season and 1/2 in the sales.

Ryoko Sat 16-Jul-11 17:34:15

I don't see the link between clothing and being depressed, if you have no confidence in yourself it doesn't matter what you wear it will make no difference.

As for the question itself I probably spend around £5 - 10, but thats breaking things up, I hardly ever shop for clothing, I shop at Uniqlo and Bench mainly and live in jeans and t-shirt, I'm a heavy metal bird and a bit of a punk so things getting holes in are just excuses to add a few safety pins and the like rather then chucking out and buying new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now